“Disappointed!!” 3 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #46 of 189 hotels in Atlanta
“Disappointed!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

I booked a weekend trip for my girlfriend and I to the W Buckhead in Atlanta. Upon arriving, I was told that the hotel was overbooked and that we might not get the room I specified. What!!?? I was not happy with this. I had requested a room with a closed off bathroom because I had noticed in most of the photos of the rooms that the bathrooms were glass and mostly open to the room space. Meaning if you are traveling with your spouse or girlfriend there is no privacy for going to the bathroom. I can understand how this can be seen as sexy for taking showers but going to the bathroom in privacy is not an option! I quickly learned that all of the rooms were designed this way.. I had also paid for an upgraded king room or the "Spectacular King!" there was Nothing Spectacular about it! It was a very tiny room about the size of my closet in my house. This left me to wonder what the standard king room looked like. When I mentioned this and felt that I had not gotten the room I paid for, the hotel management informed me that this was normal and all of the rooms were very small! I was not happy with this considering that we had just stayed in the W Midtown and I was very impressed with the standard room and I felt that the Buckhead location would be close to the same.. When we wanted to leave for dinner I was told that I had to go downstairs and wait in line at the valet to get my car, because they were too busy to take calls, What!? Not Happy once Again!! Then when we returned from dinner around 10pm we had to sit in traffic in line for the valet for 20min just to get back in to the hotel because there is a very popular bar/lounge on the roof of the hotel and the valet gets overwhelmed every weekend from the amount of people going to the roof top bar. I would think that the hotel should have a separate entrance for paying guests, especially for the price I was paying to stay at this hotel! When we recently stayed at the W Midtown over New Years we had no problems and even with their huge party that they had we were able to get in and out smoothly during peak valet hours! The W Midtown was a much better property and I would recommend staying there instead of the W Buckhead! I will never go back to this hotel again! I felt like it was a total rip-off!! I've stayed in 5 star hotels my entire life and I know and appreciate great service and amenities. This property was not worth the money nor the headaches! If you want to stay in the Buckhead area there are much better choices. Recently I stayed at the Westin less than a block away from the W and even though it was an older property, I felt I got what I paid for and it was suprisingly nice and comfortable. The Westin being older and much less per night was incredible compared to the W Buckhead! What a Shame Starwood hotel group(W hotels)!! Although I will probably visit other W hotels I would not reccomend the W Buckhead to anyone!!
This property could probably be a much better hotel but be for-warned that the propert is only so big so having a spacious room is not ever going to be an option unless you book a penthouse suite.

• Stayed February 2013
WBuckheadManager, General Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Salcoii - Thank you for your time and feedback. I'm sorry to learn of the details. Please know I will be sharing your comments with our staff to properly execute and anticipate guests need (valet calls to room preferences) as that service should be consistent and synonymous across all of the Starwood brands. I do hope that we might have another opportunity to host you again either here at W Buckhead or one of our sister properties in the future. And should we have the chance to have you here, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at GMmarylouise.fitzgibbon@whotels.com so that I may play a part in providing you with the experience you expected and deserve. Thank you again.

829 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
South
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Some of the reviews here weren't inticing, so we relunctantly booked. Weren't able to make it to Atlanta for the reservation. It was a non-refundable PriceLine deal, but decided to email the hotel and ask for help. They immediately responded and said we could rescheduled at our convenience for the same price. Arrived this past Friday. Everyone from the valet service attendants, to the front desk, to the restaurant personnel, could not have been warmer, friendlier, or more accomodating. They went out of their way to make the weekend special. When we checked in they said our King room was on the second floor near the gym, and asked if we would like another floor. I jokingly said, you can move us to the roof. She said, the Whiskey Blue lounge is a happening place late into the evening, and 5th floor would be quiet. The room was perfect. It was quiet with a great view of Atlanta. We have stayed in Buckhead at the Ritz Carlton, the Intercontinental, the Marriott Conference, the J W Marriott, and the Grant Hyatt. We will be returning to the W. The room was great, but the people were the best! Some have complained about the parking fees, but if you are driving, they will retrieve your car whenever you need it by dialing a number and have it waiting on you. It's a great location, Nieman Marcus in Lennox Square is a half block away across the street.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SouthernConnoisseur - So glad we were able to help reschedule your special weekend and make it a great success!! Hope to do it again soon - thanks for the review!

Auburn, Alabama, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Staff were not friendly, bliss amenities in the bathroom were used, the room I was given was not the one reserved, I ordered breakfast, and it was never delivered. The Whatever / Whenever service was only mediocre. Don't spend $350 on a room here when there are so many options nearby that are competitively priced in comparison and much better quality. Notified management of my problems that I encountered and they did nothing other than add a few extra starpoints to my account. No apology, no phone call, no nothing. W Buckhead, you're not doing much to right your wrong or build a loyal customer. If you can, stay in one of the other W Hotels in Atlanta. Both are super nice, get the job done, and the management cares and is there to help when you need them!

Room Tip: Stay at the W Downtown or Midtown. Much better service and staff.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Gib T - Thank you for your review and I'm glad that since your check out that we have been able to discuss your experience further and come to a resolution. We look forward to welcoming you back for a true W experience. Thank you again.

All the best
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

This is my 3rd time staying here over the last few months. Rooms are a bit smaller than your average W but clean. I was impressed this time with the staff. Very friendly, valet was quick, and hosts hospitable. They have remodeled the restaraunt and it is much much better. Very cool decor and vibe.

• Stayed January 2013
WBuckheadManager, General Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Timmergund - Thank you so much for your review and repeat visits! I'm so glad you've enjoyed our Southern Hospitiality and new restaurant, Cook Hall! Can't wait to see you again!

Burbank, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

To say this hotel is eclectic would be an understatement. It was not what I expected at all and at first glance my room screamed " the 70's called and they want their decor back". it's an odd mix of furnishings and a floor to ceiling bathroom door that is frosted glass ! Don't be put off by the fact that this is not your average hotel. Here are some of the good things that make it unique : THE STAFF- is wonderful -accommodating and more importantly Sincere. From the valet, to the front desk staff to bartender, to waiter- across the board they seem to Love what they do and what they do best is make you feel welcome. The little in room amenities , sure we are used to shampoo, creame rinse, body wash and lotion but how about makeup remover, a nail kit, a dental kit, a loofa
And more all just sitting in your bathroom for your use? How about the cozy slippers that are yours to take home and the plush bathrobe for your use while there? It's these little things that says someone is thinking about what will make you feel comfortable. The only complaint is boy do they need to soundproof these rooms - the earplugs on the pillow are unfortunately necessary if your neighbors are having a fight or other type of lively" discussion.". other than that - and that IS a big deal I found the bed very comfy, the hotel to be clean, in good repair and just plain fun to stay in. The food in the "pub" was quite good and it is open late - they also have 24 hour room service several bars and a rooftop lounge. I'd absolutely stay here again .

Room Tip: Get one at the end of the hall that way you only will have another room on one side of you.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Bonnie V - Thanks for your review. And you're right, none of the W Hotels fall into a "cookie cutter" concept - and we're okay with that, but it sounds like you are too :) Yes, our people and small touches absolutely elevate us above "standard" hotels and I'm glad you felt our passion. Can't wait to see you again!

Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Came to spend the weekend with friends so I choose this hotel because Lenox mall is one of my favorite places to shop in Atlanta. Upon arrival the service was superior the valet was kind and cheerful and gave compliments worthy of a great tip. Check in was a breeze I was in a rush so the front desk arranged to have my bags taken to my room. the W signature bed always gives me a great night sleep and i love the hotel mini bar. The Sky bar was beautiful and had amazing views the bartender and wait staff were perfect. The music and crowd was exactly the right mix. I am a true fan of the W brand always offering SUPERIOR SERVICE and QUALITY!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors offer the best views. The Sky Bar happy hour is wonderful.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
WBuckheadManager, General Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
SassiTraveler33- Thanks so much for your review; I'm so glad you were able to enjoy a fun, friend-filled weekend! Hope to see you again soon!

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My boyfriend surprised me and took me to the W Buckhead the weekend before Christmas to spend some quality time together. The service from the moment we stepped out of the car to the time we spent there, and until the day we left, was SUPERB! The valet personnel was excellent, and the staff were friendly, and the rooms were gorgeous!
The only minor complaints I had was when i turned on the shower, brown water came out initially - as if the water hadn't been used/turned on in a very long time and we were also right below (on the 11th floor) the rooftop bar/lounge so we could hear the music, but it didn't bother us personally, but to some people, they would mind it....other than that, the hotel was excellent :) will definitely go again!

Room Tip: Don't get the 11th floor if you don't like noise! :) any room is great at the W
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
dna2013 - What a nice surprise! Yes, please! Thanks so much for the review and your feedback (I've also shared your note about the unpleasant 11th floor surprise with our engineering team to investigate). We can't wait to welcome you and your boyfriend back for more getaways - thanks again!

All the Best

Been to W Atlanta - Buckhead? Share your experiences!