“Not what I expect from a W” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #48 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
New York City, New York
“Not what I expect from a W”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is showing signs of a hard partying group of guests. Paint is chipped in common areas and hallways are scuffed up. Rooms do not have adequate sound proofing and the front desk was cooly indifferent. Whatever Whenever could not execute a simple request like please have dinner delivered from the lobby restaurant. I would look for another hotel in the area.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
WBuckheadManager, General Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
YGlobalTraveler - Thank you for your candid feedback. While we are just four years young, we are constantly trying to keep up with the hustle and bustle of our guests and the impact it has on our property; I will share your comments with our operations staff accordingly. Additionally, I appreciate your comments about the staff themselves and will reinforce the importance of our Whatever/Whenever service meaning just that. Thank you again for your time and feedback.

All the Best

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
AtlantaGA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I arrived at this hotel at 8:30p tonight and it is almost midnight now. I knew by 11p that i would not stay here again or recommend others stay here. Its a decently appointed W hotel. Room is comfortable and clean. I happen to like the decor and the bathrooms. I ordered room service which came with in 40 mins as promised. Server was courteous and pleasant and food was okay. Biggest drawback to this place is the noise. I can hear every door slam and conversation happening in the hallway. Not mention that i can hear my next door neighbors toilet flush LOUDLY. The worst part is that I was given a room that has a locked door that adjoins to another guest room. And literally everything can heard through that door. The guests (frat boys) came into that room around 11p, turned up their music really loud and were trying to talk (yell) at each other over the music. The volume of voices and music is so loud I don't know how I will sleep tonight. Earlier In the evening i noticed my room has a white noise machine which I thought was a nice touch for the W to provide but now know its the only thing that may get me through the night. That and turning on the loud air conditioner should help drown out the party next door. Sleeping pill may be in order for tonight.

• Stayed January 2013
pookieAtl - Thank you for your "live" feedback for us. While I am glad to hear you enjoyed many aspects of your stay with us from decor to service, I'm sorry that you were hearing too much of everything else. I would like to follow up with you regarding the rest of your experience and if amenable, kindly let me know how things went at GMmarylouise.fitzgibbon@whotels.com so I can let the staff in on the rest of your story and get the details on your particular reservation. Thank you again and I hope the rest of your stay reflected something more like how it began.

costa mesa, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

This is your typical W hotel
The decor, ambiance and service is classy. Of course the walls are paper thin and the rooms are a little small. However, all of the details are top notch, the place exudes character. From the well appointed decor to the overly friendly check-in staff, the W always presents the winning recipe for an artful hotel.
The TVs are hi-def, and offers a huge selection. But don't be square, head up to the rooftop bar, the Whiskey Blue and enjoy the well stocked beer with a fantastic view of the Atlanta countryside.
As I said in my title, the backup TP is packaged in a canvas tie bag with a clear label that says "Backup Plan". Its this sense of humor and style that makes the hotel my top choice in whatever city I'm in.

Room Tip: choose a room facing the downtown, not Buckhead central
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Justin44 - I agree, "don't be square"! Thank you for your well-rounded review and room tips. We look forward to seeing you again soon at W Atlanta - Buckhead and we'll save you a seat at Whiskey Blue!

Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I am a member of the Starwood Hotels and Resorts group and that has made me stay loyal to a point - however, I am seriously reconsidering.

I am in Atlanta writing about what business travellers should do when they have to come to Atlanta for business and have just had the worse nights sleep.

I booked in through the Starwood website and they didn't have my booking. Then, when they gave me a room, the air-conditioning was so loud that no-one could possibly sleep in the room let alone not get annoyed by the noise that overpowered the television. So, I rung up and they moved me.

The room they moved me to was next to the lift and every 15 minutes all through the night, a sound that was like an engine went off - really loud. Woke me up all through the night.

Finally, third time lucky, they have moved me to a room that neither has an airconditioning problem (which by the way, none of the other rooms had so surely they knew about it beforehand and just hoped I wouldn't complain), nor an engine sound.

Let's hope tonight is better than the last night. I was too tired from my flight to make a second complaint last night which was a BIG mistake because there is nothing worse than having to go to meetings really tired.

I do not recommend anyone to stay here if they would like to get a good nights sleep. How many other rooms do they have that need to be looked at?

One disclaimer: staff are pleasant.

Room Tip: Rooms away from lifts and down the end of the corridor
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Melpiper - Thank you for your review. I would like to discuss your time here further to ensure the rooms discussed are in top-notch condition and everything is in working order. If amenable and at your convenience, please reach out to me either with direct message or via email to GMmarylouise.fitzgibbon@whotels.com with your reservation and any additional feedback so that I can follow up with the teams, maintenance, and processes accordingly. Thank you for your time.

Seattle, Washington, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

There is nothing worse than poor customer service. You can stay a really poor hotel but still feel good if the staff care and do their best. Its also far worse the other way around. It just took me an hour and half to get some rather poor room service with very indifferent staff, who showed no interest at all in getting things right. my first meal arrived after a 45min wait stone cold. The second ( warmer meal) took another 45 min. Asking if I could have a glass for the drink I ordered seemed liked I was asking for a banquet. Every time I spoke, staff interrupted me within 1 sentence. They just want to "fix the bill" and move on. Please W Atlanta - don't hire people who really have no interest in serving a customer.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
DanielS1111 - Thank you for your review and sharing your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. I'm glad that we have been able to correspond via email as well and help pinpoint the individuals involved in your particular experience. Yes, I agree the in room dining challenges you encountered are unacceptable and will not be tolerated. I appreciate you bringing them to my attention and hope we will have the chance, as expressed in our previous exchanges to invite you welcome you back. Thank you again for your time.

Shreveport, LA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Spent 3 nights in Atlanta. Hotel decor very nice! Staff very pleasant, kind & helpful. Whiskey Bar excellent! Restaurant very, very slow service. We got tired of waiting & started pouring our own coffee. Food okay! Rooms very nice, pretty, trendy & comfortable. Walls paper thin. You can hear everything!! Bring your ear plugs. My air conditioner had a weird clang, not the pleasant sleeping hum. More like an old irritating alarm clock. & check your bill. I was charged for parking a car. Didn't have one! Other members of my party were charged for things they didn't have or do! I found out it used to be a Days Inn, just remodeled. So very pretty, but better off at the Ritz Carlton across the street.

Room Tip: Didn't have a spa, so ignore the check.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
anjanette50 - Thank you for your review. I'm glad that you enjoyed several aspects of your stay including the staff, decor, rooms, and rooftop bar. I also do appreciate the addtional comments on the things that didn't rank as high or that could use improvement. And yes, once upon a time and many, many dollars and lifetimes ago a Days Inn use to share the same lot we do now.
Thank you again for your time and candid feedback.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Ttyi this: New Year's Day. Reservation. No notice that restaurant closed at 5pm, despite check in at 4pm. Bar service given while deep cleaning the bar. Surly bartender said she hated working today. Room service only with added cost of 22% service charge plus $3 delivery charge. No mercer given to stupid customers who simply thought all W's were excellent with thoughtful and excellent service. No luck in Atlanta!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I have shared your review with our staff, and particularly with our on-site partners about upholding the W standard for excellent service. I agree, this is no way to ring in the new year and I would like to apologize. Additionally, your feedback will provide a template in how to better prepare for any holiday and I thank you. If you would like to discuss your experience further, please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly at GMmarylouise.fitzgibbon@whotels.com.

All the Best

Been to W Atlanta - Buckhead? Share your experiences!