“Shabby chic” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #47 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
Miami
“Shabby chic”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

First off, I'll say "They tried." But for many reasons I'd rather stay elsewhere.

Hotel check-in was ridiculous. One person at registration, but lots of other employees standing around. Several people hanging out at the concierge desk just chatting while guests waited 15 minutes for service. Finally more clerks show up, but the computers weren't turned on and wouldn't boot up.

The design of the hotel is nice, but it is showing wear and tear. the carpet and bedding were a bit threadbare in the guestroom. It does seem to be quite the party hotel, with noisy guests and paper-thin walls. Likewise, housekeeping staff are very noisy and like to park dozens of carts in the hallways, right in front of the doors of occupied rooms.

The "whatever/whenever" staff seem almost desperate to get high ratings, practically begging guests to give them high marks, by name, on follow-up surveys. I find this particularly annoying.

Traffic in front of the hotel is bad, even by Atlanta standards. There is a large shopping mall nearby and the traffic lights seem designed to logjam, rather than manage traffic.

Surely there are better, and more economical, places to stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
WBuckheadManager, General Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
JustinT - Thank you for your time and feedback. Your review touches on several departments and areas for improvement and I want you to know that we take feedback very seriously and we will be dissecting your review as a training example, as we are constantly striving for excellence.

Thank you again for your review and I hope we will have another opportunity to provide you with the service we are known for. Should we have that opportunity, please don't hesitate to email me at GMmarylouise.fitzgibbon@whotels.com.

All the Best

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I recently stayed at the W Buckhead as part of a business trip and what a pleasant experience I had. This was the first time I have ever stayed at a hotel and actually slept soundly through the night thanks to the room's noise reduction machine - what a great addition! The front reception staff were all extremely hospitable and ensured all my needs were taken care of.

We had dinner at the hotel restaurant and enjoyed the food and service - my only comment here is for them to turn the lights on! It was quite difficult to read the menu as well as see what was presented in front of us.

They have a great bar and lounge on the top floor with a spectacular view and are in walking distance to many shops. The entire hotel - from conference rooms, to lobby and rooms were all impecably decorated and clean. 2 thumbs up!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Julie E - We love you too! And thanks for the two thumbs up approval! We really appreciate both your reservation and your review. We hope to welcome you and your group back again soon - we'd be delighted! Thanks again for a great overall review - see you soon!

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I stayed one night at this hotel and it was a great experience. My room was clean and inviting. The room service was quick, friendly, funny, and cute. The front desk staff was friendly and very welcoming. I have no complaints, except valet parking is very costly, $32 per night. I would return to this property.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
ArmyLT - So happy you enjoyed your one night getaway with us! You're welcome back anytime and we look forward to your return - another "clean and inviting" room will be waiting! Thanks so much for your review and see you soon!

Staffordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

This is based on a recent stay which coincided with the hip hop awards in Atlanta, so that may account for the downside!
Hotel is clean, we'll presented and comfortable. Beds are great and staff are warm and friendly. The hotel has a bar on the top floor which is fun, and food was equally good.
Downsides were the noise in the hallway from other guests through the night. It was certainly a party hotel when I stayed! Also, I was on the second floor, and the noise from the shower in the room above (I assume) was loud enough to wake me. The air-con in the room is also really loud and can't be on when you sleep, although it is very effective.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
WBuckheadManager, General Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
mollypolly1 - Thank you for your review and I'm so happy you enjoyed everything from the rooms to the food to the staff, bar and W signature beds! We have a lot to offer. And I do hope we'll see you again (and not when there's an anomaly conference in town that effects many Atlanta hotels). Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you!

Albany, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

This hotel is very nice in appearance and the staff are courteous and professional. However, the design of the rooms affords little privacy in the bathroom. The semi-opaque glass wall and door to the bathroom allows guests in the room to view a person's silhouette in the bathroom - while using the toilet and the shower. There is little privacy and the situation could be very awkward to many people. Also, the noise in the hallways prevented all six people in our group from getting a restful night's sleep - two nights in a row. We slept two to a room and in all three rooms all of us had the same experience on both Friday and Saturday night. Loud, noisy, distruptive patrons were yelling and shouting in the hallway off and on throughout the night (between midnight and 4 a.m.). Hotel Security could be heard in the hallway trying to address the issue but seemed ineffective as the noise continued with no improvement. Our group's bleary eyed conclusion Sunday morning was that this is a "party hotel", particularly because of the bar on the top floor. Definitely looks like a fun place to stay if you want to party all night; but, if you want to get any sleep, stay elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
40KristyT - Thank you for your time. While I am glad you enjoyed the staff and the decor of the hotel during your weekend here, I'm sorry to learn that your group didn't get a great night's sleep - essential to any getaway. And yes, our weekends are a little livelier, but that is no excuse and hope that we will have the opportunity for you all to return, the next time you are in town. Should we have that chance, please feel free to email me directly and I'll be happy to help in any way that I can - GMmarylouise.fitzgibbon@whotels.com.

italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Dont expect anithing special, but an average property with snobbish staff.
Upgrade is very difficoult even as SPG platinum as the hotel has very few suites
Rooms are small, old, feel kind of a bit dirty.
Common areas are nice, some for the rooftop bar, and it is very convininent to Lenox mall, only real reason i would consider it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
WBuckheadManager, General Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
SuperSayan4 - Thank you for your candid review. I will be sharing this with the staff to ensure each interaction is met with sincerity and our Whatever/Whenever attitude - I'm sorry if you did not feel this was conveyed throughout your stay with us; our location should not be our best attribute, as great as it is. Thank you again for sharing this with me and the online community, we take all feedback very seriously and I do hope you return to find the staff and property I know and love.

Thank you again.

Clinton, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

The W in Buckhead is like every other W I have stayed in. OUTSTANDING. Clean rooms, great service. And just a touch of an eclectic attitude that makes a little bit different from the other Starwood properties. It is in a great area with lots of restaurants, and bars and 30 steps from the Marta to get you to whereever else you need to go.

Probably only downside is the pricey in-room menu but that is to be expected in high-end hotels.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
TennBoy - Thank you so much for your review. You've highlighted a lot of great features about our hotel from location to staff to decor. And from a senior contributor like you, that means a lot! Thanks again and we'll see you soon!

All the Best

Been to W Atlanta - Buckhead? Share your experiences!