“Excellent event space and hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #55 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Excellent event space and hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

My company hosted a 5-day conference here, and I've attended weddings here as well. The interior is impressive, but more importantly the staff are top-notch. We held a parallel conference in another nearby hotel, and the service at Marriott was better by leaps and bounds. The rooms are spacious and comfortable - both the suites and the standard rooms. Overall, a great venue.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
David O, Hotel Manager at Marriott Marquis Atlanta, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Thank you for your review and thank you for the tremendous comments about our staff. They are the heart and soul of the hotel and I am so glad they took great care of you. I hope you come back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
Lafayette, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

The lobby and restaurants are pretty nice, but the rooms are disappointing for the price. The biggest issue is the Internet isn't free for guests paying for rooms at the hotel. Its free on the lobby and atrium levels, so those who aren't guests have free internet. Does that make sense to anyone? I don't know if other downtown Atlanta hotels also charge for this service, but having stayed in lower priced hotel chains in other cities/states, internet usage is included in their rates. I would think a Marriott at this level would also include the internet at no cost. I have stayed at a Marriott Courtyard many times and the Internet was included. Someone else made this reservation, so I very surprised and disappointed to learn I'd have to pay for this service once I arrived. I refused to pay for this, so I logged in elsewhere where it was free.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 6th floor, and it was very quiet. Little traffic noise and none from the hallway.
Green Features: No recycling to be seen anywhere. The standard signs for linens was in the bathrooms and we re-used the bath towels.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
David O, Hotel Manager at Marriott Marquis Atlanta, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Thank you for your review. It is true, modern essential brands like Courtyard do have free interent. Full service hotels whether it be Marriott, Westin, Omni, Hyatt or Hilton do charge for internet. You are correct it is free in the lobby of the hotel. I am sorry this was a huge inconvenience to you and I hope you come back to our hotel soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

I was there on a business related conference for four days and I was very happy with my stay. This is an amazing looking hotel inside. The location is a good one. From the lounge to the restaurants to the staff all are well deserving of a five star. Highly recommend.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your fabulous comments about our hotel and staff. I hope you come back soon!
Huntsville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

I was a guest at the Marriott Marquis Atlanta for a district fraternity meeting which took place from the 10 through the 13th of April, 2014. As expected with a Marriott property, we were greeted by the parking attendant and the bellman. We checked in without an issue and proceeded to our room(1434). When I opened the door, I don't know what I expected based on the name of the hotel, but the room was underwhelming. It was clean and updated to a degree, but there were stains on the bed skirt.

The hotel staff was very friendly and that was everyone I encountered (as I used the fitness center, restaurants, bar area, etc). On the few occasions when I needed to speak with someone at the front desk concerning my room key, internet or general information, the staff was always courteous and willing to provide the needed information.

The reason that I would say that the stay was very good (which isn't bad) but not great is because there were some issues with getting my car from the garage in a timely mannner(but that was resolved before I left), and that the room could have been more modern (based on other places which I've stayed in the same category as this class of hotel.

I would stay there again and recommend it to others as well because it was close to many good restaurants and eateries.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I am thrilled with everything in your review and the great service you received in the hotel. It was apparent you had a problem with valet parking but I am glad it was resolved before you left. I hope you come back to us soon.
Newnan, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

First, I'll start with the positives:

Mary Ann (I believe that's her name) who is the Manager of Housekeeping was very responsive and kind. She empathized with the situation and attempted to rectify the situation of me finding a pubic hair in the bathtub. After being disgusted, I cleaned the tub out myself as soon as I discovered the hair.

Desmona Fletcher was extremely helpful and gracious in helping secure an upgrade to an Executive Suite. She was also empathetic when I brought the hair issue to her attention. She provided cookies and milk to my children for the inconvenience.

The room was very comfortable. The accommodations were in good condition and the bed was very comfortable. The view was unparalleled.

Ben (I believe that was his name--the Manager on Duty) reversed the room charge, which I am very appreciative of.

Keith (I believe that was his name--the Manager in Sear) responded to my concerns.

My request for additional towels were honored and delivered nearly immediately after check-in.

Now, the negatives unfortunately outweigh the positives:

As you can imagine, finding a pubic hair in the bathtub is absolutely, positively disgusting. That one small thing overshadowed my entire stay. In fact, I'm still grossed out by it. There was an attempt to move me to another room, which in and of itself is an inconvenience, but there wasn't another room available.

My wife called the "At Your Service" line at 2:40pm on Saturday afternoon asking for turndown service to be completed before 4:00 pm, including making the sofa bed. When we returned to the room at approximately 6:00 pm, the room was not turned down. The sofa bed was not made. The drapes were not drawn. Trash was not emptied. There was no evidence that turndown was attempted. After speaking with Keith in Sear, the room was turned down after retiring to the room after supper.

At approximately 08:35 I called the "At Your Service" line and asked for extra soap and shampoo for my children to be able to shower/take a bath this morning. As of 09:15, no soap or shampoo were delivered, so we just went on to the Concierge Lounge for breakfast.

The Lounge was absolutely crazy. Food offerings were low, eggs were consistently out, a gentleman working in the lounge (no name tag) was rude--no smile, no eye contact, no welcoming demeanor. This was by far the worst Lounge we have ever been in, and we have traveled to many other Marriott properties.

I called Valet for my car at approximately 09:40. The phone rang for 35 times (yes, I counted) and finally hung up. At this point, I was just over it. I wanted to leave and leave quickly. I called the Hotel Operator and asked if she could help get my car. She put me on hold and later returned stating that "Valet was really busy and that I needed to just go to P1 to turn my ticket in to get my car." I get to P1 and I am not exaggerating--it was absolute bedlam. I have never seen such confusion, congestion, and staff scrambling in all of my life. I waited nearly 20 minutes for my car. I left and couldn't have been happier to leave in all of my life. If the hotel knew that it would be at high occupancy, there is no excuse for not staffing to accommodate the number of guests that would be staying.

I am a Platinum Rewards member and am very loyal to Marriott branded properties. I am a local resident and was hoping for a nice relaxing "staycation," but I left more frustrated. It will take a lot to get me to return to this property. I have stayed at other Marriott properties throughout Atlanta and have never had a bit of problem. This stay brought dissatisfaction to a new level.

I will admit that I have very high expectations. I work in a hospital. I understand and "get" hospitality, particularly customer service. When either fail, customers will not return and will always remember the negative. I fall into this category. I wanted more than anything to enjoy this stay. I have heard great things about your hotel, but it fell way short. In fact, I have stayed at Fairfield Inns where I have received better service and response than from your hotel team.

Sadly, I have some business associates that I are coming to town and were looking for a hotel recommendation, but based upon this recent stay, I cannot recommend your hotel to them, nor to any of my friends or family.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms offer phenomenal views of the ATL skyline.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
David O, Hotel Manager at Marriott Marquis Atlanta, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Thank you for your review and more importantly thank you for being a Platinum Rewards Member. I am thrilled to hear about all the wonderful people who tried to resolve the problems you had. Thank you for recognizing them. On theother hand these type of problems should not occur and we will do our best to improve and make sure they do not happen in the future. Thank you again for your review and I hope you have a great day.
Cincinnati, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

I stayed at the Marriott Marquis for three nights during a conference. I didn't choose the hotel--it was chosen by the conference coordinator. The hotel is very large and the atrium/lobby area is bustling with activity. I would describe it as energetic. The public areas are large enough that it never felt congested despite the high volume of people. It was very convenient having a Starbucks on-site (although the prices are higher than usual and they don't have breakfast sandwiches like the other Starbucks locations). My room was on the small side and the bathroom was tiny (plenty of counter space but not a lot of floor space. You have to get out of your own way just to close the door.) The mattress on the king bed was comfortable and the linens were of good quality. For some reason, the bed had several small pillows instead of two or three large ones. I thought it made sleeping difficult. The room was clean but the hallway carpet needed to be vacuumed. I saw the same trash on the floor all three days (stir stick, penny, piece of dental floss, gum wrapper, etc.). When the person on either side closed their room door, the walls vibrated. My biggest pet peeve was that the hotel charges $6.00 for a bottle of water in the room and they charge $20.00 to use the steam room, which is located in the spa even though the website makes it sound like it's part of the fitness center and doesn't mention a charge. The next time I go to Atlanta, I'll probably try another hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for the review. I am happy with all the great things you had to say and I will take away the opportunity areas for us. I think it's awesome you felt the energy of the hotel and I hope you reconsider and come back to us again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

Couldn't ask for anything more. Breathtaking lobby, super nice staff, excellent amenities. I enjoyed my stay immensely. From the moment I checked in until the time I recovered my suitcase from the bellhop desk, I was well served by all. It was the best stay I have ever had at any hotel.

• Stayed April 2014
Best Hotel Experience Ever! Thank you for such an incredible review. I'm glad the staff, pool, food everything was great for you. I hope you come back soon.

Been to Marriott Marquis Atlanta? Share your experiences!