“some parts better then others” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #68 of 190 Hotels in Atlanta
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Orlando, Florida
“some parts better then others”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We are here now and everything was going well except I find some of the staff are not so friendly. Our waiter at velocity was not very attentive at all. Had to call zero and the person who answered did not use my name and his voice tone and inflection was argumentative. The conversation was more of a nope your wrong and then challenged me. Now the trainee and trainer for housekeeping yesterday were very friendly and social. I think the young man will do well as long as he steers clear of that male I spoke to.

• Stayed January 2014
David O, Hotel Manager at Atlanta Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Thank you for your response. I am glad you have enjoyed the hotel and most of the people you have coe in contact with a friendly. I will definately share your review out to our whole hotel so everyone can see your feedback. Thanks again and I hope you come back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

This is a difficult review. The rate was great, the location perfect. The staff is very friendly and they all give you their name. The lobby and the hotel are very chic and hip. It was all good till we got to our room. I wipe down a hotel room with santizing wipes upon entry. Many surfaces were just not clean. On the mirror above the sink was toothpaste bounce back from the sink. There was crud on the head board of the bed when I finally went to lay down. Why not change rooms? Well, it was after 10pm and we had little kids. And I wasn't sure the next room would be any better after having cleaned this one. The safe in the room was broken and when I took the kids to the great looking pool the next morning, it was 'closed indefintely.' The only parking option is valet, for $32/night. There are so many hotels in downtown Atlanta- every chain has a huge one. Go elsewhere!

Room Tip: The hotel is atleast 30 floors, with great views of the city.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
David O, Hotel Manager at Atlanta Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you for your response. I am very sorry about the condition of your sleeping room. That is unacceptable and will be addressed immediately. In regards to the pool, unfortunately or chlorinator broke. It is already fixed, but it would have been unsafe for someone to swim in the pool without the chlorinator working properly. I hope you come back and give us a try again since everything else about your stay was outstanding.
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Pros: Excellent rooms/beds. Good restaurants/bars. Beautiful architecture (though those afraid of heights may want to request a room on a lower floor.
Cons: Major convention center and walking through the lobby is sometimes as pleasant as waiting for a subway in New York during rush hour. Location is good if it's the part of Atlanta you want to be in (for work), but not the best for seeing the city.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
David O, Hotel Manager at Atlanta Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Thank you for your review on our hotel. I appeciate the positive comments on our rooms, bars and archetecture of the hotel. I hope you had a happy and safe New Year!
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

This was a great hotel with an amazing view. Friendly, intelligent staff. Everything I needed for a 9 day/8 night business trip. The gift shop had all necessities and salads, sandwiches and snacks in case I was hungry "right now" and wasn't in the mood for a restaurant experience. Although, the restaurants and bars were excellent. ATM, concierge was wonderful, a very nice experience.

My only points of what needs attention...

Bathrooms are tiny.
Starbucks needs to be bigger, the line was out the door and through the lobby.
AND the worst thing...

When you fill the hotel with Children Celtic Dancers, make sure they aren't dancing throughout the hotel, especially in front of the meeting rooms. Very rude and very disruptive to the meetings going on.

Otherwise, I will stay here again! It was a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. You stayed 9 days with us...outstanding! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. I hope you had a safe New Year.
Statesboro, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

We stayed here for one night on Dec. 28. We had a package deal booked at Marriott.com. We arrived early on Saturday and was quickly taken care and checked-in without any major problems. The World of Coca-Cola tickets were not available at the time, but your staff quickly made a few changes and we were good to go. All the staff was friendly and helpful. The atrium and glass elevators are impressive, especially for my sons.

We stayed on the 31st floor and had a great view of the city. The room was comfortable and very quiet. We were able to grab a bite to eat at the food court nearby and then walk easily to the World of Coca-Cola and the GA Aquarium. It was nice to stop by Starbucks for a hot chocolate when we came in from the cold rain on Saturday evening.

There were only a few small things that we observed. (1) The valet parking was busy and crowded. It took some time to get out car even though we called before. Also please make sure guests know that the place to pick up your car is in a totally different area than were it was left. (2) The hallways are very narrow. I know these is not able to be fixed but if you are in a wheelchair the hallways might not be the correct size or at least feel very snug. (We had a some tight fights with our son's wheelchair.) (3) The buffet at Sear was only average. It is overpriced for the quality of food. The selection was decent, but much of the food had onions!!! (Luckily our buffet was included in the package deal, but honestly Courtyard's buffet is much better at half the price.) (4) Pillows were flat and useless.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I'm glad you stayed with us over the holiday and enjoyed the World of Coke. I will share your comments with the chef on the amount of onions in the buffet food. Hope you had a safe New Year.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

We checked in on December 28th, front desk person was not very friendly. It was clean. Elevators where a painful wait. Supper was excellent in the High Velocity resteraunt. Key lime was delicious . The valet parking was also painful.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
David O, Hotel Manager at Atlanta Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Thank you for your review. I apologize for the front desk service you received. I will share your feedback with our front office team to improve. Your satisfaction is critical to us and we will continue to work hard to achieve that. Happy New Year and I hope you come back and give us a try again.
Urbandale, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stayed 1 night at this Marriott. We had lots of company-Duke football was staying there for the Chik-Fil-A Bowl. There was also a conference. The hotel accommodated all the various groups well. We had a room on the 29th floor. The room was plenty big for 2 of us. The comments on tripadvisor about the small bath are accurate. The room was very clean and the view was nice (even though it was rainy and foggy during our stay). Staff was helpful and friendly. We ate at the sports bar on site-High Velocity. They had a great set up to watch bowl games and an excellent selection of beers. Starbucks in the lobby was good for morning coffee. Coffee was provided in the room too. The lobby is really impressive and even though it is an atrium that rises through the whole hotel we didn't hear any noise from the busy bar below.

Check out was easy with the menu on the TV. Do call ahead to get your vehicle if using the valet. Even without calling ahead at peak time we only waited 10 minutes, though. Great stay for just the two of us.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
David O, Hotel Manager at Atlanta Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Thank you for your review. I appreciate you taking the time to fill out a review. I'm glad your stay was excellent and we hope you come back again. Happy New Year!

Been to Atlanta Marriott Marquis? Share your experiences!