“I really didn't like it” 2 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #55 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Viroqua, Wisconsin, United States
“I really didn't like it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

This is a hotel that lacks standard ammenities a business travelor expects. There is no hotel shuttle. The internet access is $14.95 a day and is the worst I've experienced. There were periods when the internet didn't work at all due to overload. 6-9 AM and 4-6PM. When it did work it was sooo slow. Forget about Netflix or anything streaming. My room never got cleaned before 3PM. My view was of an abandoned office building. The entire building is made of concrete slabs. It felt more like an institution than a piece of architecture. The pool was nice, but the hot tub was a joke. If you are staying in Atlanta and want to spend $180 plus a night you can do better.

Room Tip: Stay in a floor 30 floors or higher.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
David O, Hotel Manager at Marriott Marquis Atlanta, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry the hotel did not work for you. Unfortunately we do not have a shuttle and I don't beleive any of the full service hotels in downtown have a shuttle. I am very sorry about the internet beigng sporatic. We did have a problem that is fixed now. Again, I appreciate your review and I'm sorry what we have to offer did not appeal to you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The location is convenient, we chose this hotel over the Hilton based on the trip advisor reviews and because the Marriott is placed one block closer to downtown vs. the Hilton. We went to a Falcons game and the hotel is walking distance to the stadium, although it is a fairly long walk. Centennial Park and Peachtree Street restaurants are a 5 minute walk.

The entrance to the hotel along with the lobby are beautiful, very spacious and you feel as if you are staying somewhere special, grand. We ate in High Velocity sports bar twice and it was good food, convenient and the service friendly. There is a lobby Starbucks that opens very early and a gift shop with snacks and drinks that is open until 11pm (very convenient and useful).

I left the guest rooms for last in this review because I was disappointed. When you walk in you will be shocked to see a very rumpled bed (I actually thought they put me in a room that was occupied however my friend had the same mess of a bed - the comforters were just so poor looking). The bathroom was not very clean, with hair on the floor and the towels were very cheap and thin. The tv did have a lot of channels, more than a typical hotel.

Basically, I would stay here again if the price point was cheaper than other hotels...but for the same price, I would try something else based on the cleanliness of the guest room. The service was very friendly throughout the hotel.

Room Tip: Pay for an upgrade if you think that will get you a cleaner/newer room.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
David O, Hotel Manager at Marriott Marquis Atlanta, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed the hotel itself, the service and Hi Velocity. I'm glad you enjoyed the hotel and would come back. I will speak to the Houskeeping Manager about your room and we will improve. Thanks again for sharing and I look forward to having you back in our hotel.
Providence, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed at this hotel twice in 2012 but am just catching up on my reviews now. As a Marriott Platinum Rewards member I received a room on the 42nd floor. The check in staff were effecient and friendly even though the hotel was very busy when I arrived. The property was what one would expect from a large city center full service Marriott property but it did seem as though it was super busy all the time and lines were frequent in the restaurant. The food quality was so-so and somewhat pricey so I chose to eat out most evenings after that. Gym and pool facility were good but it did take a long time for elevators to come even though they had a lot of them. Overall I would stay there again for the right price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on higher floor as traffic noise can be loud, it's on the corner of busy streets.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
David O, Hotel Manager at Marriott Marquis Atlanta, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. As a Platinum Rewards Member we certainly appreciate you and thank you for your loyalty to Marriott. I hope you come back soon.
Fort Worth TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The Marriott lobby is beautiful.. However, our room was less than clean - hair in tub and spots on pad could be seen through the sheets. The hall in front of our room had crumbs that were never cleaned the 3 days we were there. The elevators were very slow to come to the floor.
The reception staff was very helpful and friendly.
I would probably try another hotel net time I am in Atlanta.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I will share your review with our Director of Housekeeping. Clearly cleanliness is critical and I'm sorry we missed that with your room. Please let me know if there is anything we can do to bring you back. Thanks.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed here 3 nights for a work meeting. The hotel itself if a nice spot. Its about a $40 cab ride from the airport. A much better deal is to take the subway (if you don't have a lot of bags) from the airport (about $2.50) to Peachtree and walk 2 blocks to the hotel .

The layout of this place is incredible. Very tall building with a gigantic atrium-style construction with rooms around the perimeter. Glass elevators whiz you up to your room with an amazing view. My room itself was clean and slightly better than average from what I expect from Marriott. I did not eat at the hotel and only had one drink at the bar, which was reasonably priced. The gym is definitely one of the better ones I have used in hotels. There are a few snacking options in the lobby which are reasonable.

Although the staff were friendly, my biggest concern was that the place is understaffed at peak times. There was ALWAYS a line at the checkin desk and on three occasions, i had to wait over 10 mins to speak to the concierge. (In their defense it was b/c they were providing quality service to others but for a hotel this large, they need more people on staff, especially on weekends).

The hotel is linked to a mall and there are several places to eat nearby (within a 5-10 mins walk.) Its a 10 mins walk to the aquarium and the Coca-cola plant and about a 20 mins walk to the Georgia dome.

Considering the price, I overall had a good experience here. I would stay here again if I were coming to Atlanta anytime soon.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for a great review. I truly appreciate you recognizing us and the friendly service we give to everyone. I appreciate you letting me know about the staffing level the weekend you were here. I will look into it and make the necessary adjustments in the future. Thank you for letting us know you would be back if you came to Atlanta. That is our goal with every guest.
Graniteville, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

The Marriott Marquis in Atlanta is a beautiful hotel, they did not disappoint there. From the building's architecture to the views down the atrium to the room views to the bathroom fixtures, all lovely and what you would expect for the price. For all that visual luxury though, you get a standard (at best) size room with two double (yes, not even queen) size beds, and a ridiculous charge for anything extra. Parking? $25/day. Internet? $15/day. Breakfast? $40/day. Forget room service. Service in general was great though, front desk, housekeeping, room/luggage attendants, all friendly and helpful. Just can't see the reasoning behind paying (and so much!) for the things you get free at a three-star hotel.

Room Tip: Be an Elite member maybe?
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your reveiw. I'm glad you found the service and amenities to be outstanding. We take great pride in our service levels and we are fortunate to have an amazing atrium with fabulous views of the city. We do make sure our prices are competitive with all other hotels in the downtown area and WIFI is free in the lobby of the hotel. I hope you come back soon.
Gypsum, KS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

I stayed 3 nights at the hotel for a convention. My husband traveled with me and stayed in the room to conduct his marketing business. We had a hard time finding the hotel at night when we got off the train--not marked well at all! The food and drinks at the hotel were grossly overpriced and he was forced to leave the hotel for meals. We had 2 evening appetizer meals at Velocity, but regular lunches or dinners were expensive. Drinks from the convenience store in the lobby were also overpriced. Fortunately, the hotel is connected to Peachtree mall with a food court! Internet access was charged daily and one of the days our room was not cleaned at all. Trip Advisor shows that the hotel has free breakfast, but this is not true--I paid $3 each morning for a small bottle of orange juice from the convenience store. We would look for another downtown hotel if we were to return to Atlanta--and there are several others that are in this area!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. Peachtree Mall is a quick walk for people who do find our hotel restaurants "pricey". I have to say our restaurant prices are in line with all the other hotels in the downtown area. I am sorry your room was not cleaned on one day. That should not happen. Thank you for staying with us and I hope you return in the future.

Been to Marriott Marquis Atlanta? Share your experiences!