“Quick Overnight Trip” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Charleston, South Carolina
“Quick Overnight Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I've wandered through this hotel many times for Dragon*Con, but never stayed as a guest until last week. It's hard to get a feel for anything around you other than chaos during Dragon*Con, so staying a week and a half after it had all died down was nice. A friend and I stayed just one night while in town for a concert - the double/double cityview room was clean and well equipped. The air conditioner worked perfectly (which is probably more important than anything), the beds were comfy and the view from our room was great. Everyone we encountered was helpful and polite. We had dinner at Velocity before heading out and our food, while pricey for sandwiches, was great and our server attentive. I look forward to staying here again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
David O, Hotel Manager at Marriott Marquis Atlanta, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. Dragon Con is an amazing event and I'm glad you got to experience the hotel when Dragon Con was not going on. It is a much more quiet place after Dragon Con than during it. Hope you come back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
Columbus, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I booked this hotel last minute with hopes to find a room with a gorgeous view. And thats exactly what this hotel provided. The daytime and nighttime view were both amazing and I was left very satisfied. The furniture was a little dated but the bed was extremely comfortable. We stayed for night with a goverment rate of 139 + taxes and their valet was 32.00. I would recommend checking around for parking nearby first because everyone likes to save but as I stated I only stayed one night. I would stay again however and also recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: High level floor on the north side!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
David O, Hotel Manager at Marriott Marquis Atlanta, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for your terrific review. I'm glad you enjoyed the views...they can be quite spectacular especially at night. I hope you come back and see us again soon.
Alpharetta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Went to the Spa for a much needed Massage.. I was very impressed with the customer service I received. The Massage was good but the Customer Service made me a Fan.. Thank you Cashmere, you were Awesome..

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your review. Cashmere does an amazing job and we are very lucky to have her. Please come back soon.
Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Anyone who has been to DragonCon knows that the Marriott is the center of things. it's the middle of the people-watching orbit back and forth across the skybridges from the Hilton through the Marriott to the Hyatt. But it always comes back to the Marriott. All the best costume photos come from the atrium floor, between the Pulse bar and Pulse's loft. Friday and Saturday nights, Fighting the online reservation system to get a room there and succeeding is an achievement in and of itself, and that is how I started DragonCon '13.

These days the convention has gotten so crowded that even having a room reservation will not get you a parking space. I found this out when I pulled up to the already-congested front entrance. Fortunately the bell staff quickly helped me unload everything from coolers and a folding table to a large rolling footlocker and directed me to the SunTrust building's parking garage next door. All my gear was neatly waiting for me on a bell cart. Thanks, Leroy!

Check-in was fast and painless with a friendly staffer, and I got a good room on the second floor. Trick for con- stairs down, elevators up. This even held true after I aggravated an existing foot injury on Day 2. I fired the AC down to maximum, since the atrium was having trouble keeping up with the rainy humid weather combined with thousands of people. This was my fourth DragonCon, and I never remembered it being so swampy in there.

During the convention, the room is basically a place to sleep, and damned little of that. This was by choice, not because of noise or a bad bed. We just had too much to do. Some con-goers beg for upper-floor rooms to avoid the noise, but I find the tradeoff of elevator traffic jams isn't worth it. We had no issues with it being too noisy to sleep on the 2nd floor.

Another advantage of staying in one of the host hotels is the ability to take frequent showers and change costumes/uniforms often. Whoever runs the plumbing side of the facility is a genius. The hot water is hot and the shower pressure could be used to fight fires. Was a great way to knock off the "con funk" before going back out there.

One other quibble other reviewers have made is the extra charge for wi-fi, and with two different tiers of it besides. The free wi-fi in the public areas never worked, probably out of sheer volume, but even at the group rate of just over two hundred dollars a night, you guys can afford to have free wi-fi for room guests. While 12.95 on top of the room charge seems incidental, it's the point of the thing.

Checkout came early on Monday, but the bell staff had a marvelous system for storing bags for outgoing guests who weren't actually leaving yet. Guys, I know they say the bell staff make the first and last impressions of a guest's stay, and you made a great one. Thanks again. You guys made the 5/5 rating to the point I didn't care about the wi-fi charge.

Anyway, I had a marvelous time, and do hope to get lucky with a room reservation in there again this year.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your detailed response. We love Dragon Con and look forward to it every year. It is the busiest weekend of the year, but also the most fun. I hope you are able to get in again next year. The rooms block opens up on October 9th.
Bristol
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

A very comfortable and good sized room but we found the hotel was too large and soulless for our tastes. We were also required to pay for WIFI in our room - the 1st hotel in our US travels that required payment and we felt this unacceptable considering the hotel room rate.

We were very impressed with the reception staff though. On check-in we discovered that our booking had been cancelled - due to the booking agent going out of business. The staff were very helpful in resolving this problem.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
David O, Hotel Manager at Marriott Marquis Atlanta, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad our front desk staff was able to help you with your reservations. I hope you come back soon.
Olympia, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We booked a room at this hotel for a convention, knowing how noisy it can get. I ended up requesting a room on a higher floor to help mitigate the noise level coming in through the door. Originally they wanted to put me in a room on the 20th level but when we asked for a higher room, they were more than happy to help. Ended up on the 33rd floor with a very nice view all around.

Only two very minor problems with the room during the stay. First being a wire (presumably live) that was sticking out from between the bottom of the floor and the wall, underneath where a plug used to be. Also on one of the nights I was working at the desk, I saw a cockroach skittering around the desk but got away before I could dispatch it.

Other than that, the hotel staff was very nice, equally helpful and seemed genuinely glad to see me there. Would recommend this hotel to anyone else looking for a nice place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. The fact you would recommend us says it all for me. I am very sorry about the challenges you had and I appreciate you recognizing the other things we did. Come back soon.
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

My stay started well and ended poorly, related to the inability of the staff to fix the A/C and the failure of the front desk to realize that a loud squeaking noise all night is not what you should deal with when paying almost $200/night for a room.

On the plus side, the staff are all nice. I was amazed that the bartenders in Pulse remembered guests and their tabs, not only during the same visit but on different nights. They worked hard, were fun and friendly. The front desk staff also were nice though not particularly helpful. The concierge staff did a great job and seemed to enjoy themselves. The people working the event took pride in the presentation of the food and constantly cleaned up after the attendees.

Restaurant menu prices and drink prices were astronomical. A cheeseburger was listed at $26 and I think that was the cheapest dinner item. A standard egg breakfast was $18. Drink prices at the lounges were similarly inflated.

The hotel is huge. Despite that, it never felt overly crowded nor was there a long wait for an elevator. The concierge lounge was comfortable and had a good breakfast (included in the price of a concierge floor room), coffee and water available all day long and free wifi.

As for the room, it had a great view, was big and comfortable. The shower drained well and the room had good water pressure. You do not get noise from the hallway or other rooms. However, a hotel this big, this expensive and that exists primarily for business travelers still charged $14.95/day for wifi. $14.95! That's outrageous. The airlines are cheaper.

As for the A/C, it ticked and squeaked all night my 2nd night at the hotel. Maintenance spent more than a couple of hours the following day trying to fix it and did lessen the noise but did not eliminate it. However, the noise came back louder my last night there. I recorded the noise on my phone and played if for the front desk clerks as I checked out. Their response: "Oh, wow, that must've been hard to sleep. We'll get maintenance back in there. Have a nice trip home. Here's a second copy of your bill." No acknowledgement at all that I had spent so much money to not sleep.

Overall, I liked the hotel but the main purpose of a hotel room is to sleep. It was not too easy here because of their inability to fix the A/C. With the expense of staying here, I hope they hire some competent maintenance folks and treat guests with problems a little better.

Room Tip: Higher floors have great views. Also, a concierge floor room is worth the extra money because you g...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I agee with you, if you don't get a good night sleep it is not worth the money. I am very sorry about that. I do appreciate you pointing out the Starbucks, Pulse and Front Desk and the great job they did. I hope you come back and give us another try.

Been to Marriott Marquis Atlanta? Share your experiences!