“Gigantic hotel has a few small problems” 4 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #55 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Gigantic hotel has a few small problems”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Awestruck by its sheer size, the Marriott Marquis is a wonderful hotel. I was there for a huge conference - several thousand people - and they would have received a 5 from me if it weren't for their maid service.

The way they were able to handle thousands of people with smiles and Southern grace won my admiration. The breakout rooms were immediately attended to by their always-ready-to-help staff, Walmart-style greeters stood at the bottom of the escalators ready to help with directions to the sometimes confusing room names and numbers.

They obviously apply the 6 Rule - if they came within six feet of a guest, they say these six words, "How can I help you, Ma'am/sir?" Or appropriate variations on that theme.

Kudos to the kitchen!!!! Our meals in the restaurants were fast and tasty, the wait staff efficient and very friendly. We never felt rushed so they could flip the table.

My only negative comment is for their housekeeping service. In the four nights we stayed, we had trouble every day. Upon arrival, the previous guests had "gifted" us with paper clips, candy and hair found in places I thought should have been vacuumed since I saw them laying on the floor without searching under beds or behind furniture. The first full day, they totally skipped us. I called early afternoon and was assured that someone would come but they never showed. Upon the second call, after supper, the bellman showed with towels which was nice. The next day they cleaned but didn't leave enough towels, and a few odds and ends, like coffee cups. I stole them off the cart on another floor rather than call again. Day three was a repeat of day two and day four, they'd forgotten us again but came back when I called around three-thirty. If we'd been in a room far from others or the first or last in a row, I'd cut them more slack, but we were in the middle.

The rooms are very small and my bed was worn to the point it tilted.

In conclusion, wonderful place. They could improve housekeeping, though. For that price, I expect more. Parking is very pricy, there are no mini-fridges or microwaves in the room, no free breakfast and no free Internet.

Room Tip: The higher you go, the better the view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
David O, Hotel Manager at Marriott Marquis Atlanta, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review. I am so glad you recognized us for the great service we give. We truly appreciate it. I'm also glad you enjoyed our restaurants and the quality of food. I think we have some of the best food in Atlanta so I'm glad you got to enjoy it. Please accept my apologies for the lack of housekeeping service. We will speak to the housekeeper about the service. I believe you were with Romance Writers and we would love to have you and all the fantastic ladies back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Even those this hotel is huge, the staff were all so friendly and helpful.
It's definitely a great place for a conference, but felt welcoming to all. Location was important to us and this was central to everything. We didn't bring a car so cannot comment on parking.
The rooms were clean and modern and I had a great view.
The pool is wonderful, indoor/outdoor; the small outdoor bar was never open when we were there.
The only thing I didn't like was the lack of WiFi (except in the lobby where there wasn't quite enough sitting room).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I am glad you found the staff service excellent and the rooms clean. We believe friendly service is what sets us apart and this is something we will continue to do. Thanks again and I hope you come back soon!
Orting, Wa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this location for one week in July 2013. The room was clean and nice, but it was way overpriced for what you got. It appears to have been build for the 1996 Olympics and shows no evidence of remodeling since. We were on the 17th floor, so elevators were a must, but they were extremely slow arriving. The cost of in-room internet access was outrageous considering what the room costs and the fact that most low-cost hotels offer Wi-Fi for free (free slow access was offered, but only in the lobby areas)-- free in-room Wi-Fi would have been a good amenity, especially for their Rewards members. The location was great, especially the quick access via skybridge to Marta and the Peachtree Center shopping/dinning. There are many other hotels in the downtown Atlanta area that cost MUCH less and offer rooms that are as nice or better and offer many other amenities such as free Wi-Fi, breakfast, and self laundry-- I would recommend even other Marriott properties downtown such as their Courtyard, Residence Inn, or Fairfield Inn.

Room Tip: Choose a low floor to avoid elevators or get a room just above the 17th floor because that is where...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and thank you for your loyalty to Marriott. You were very knowledgeable about the different brands and I believe the brands you mentioned would work well for you. Fairfield Inns do offer complimentary internet in the sleeping rooms and complimentary breakfast. They are a perfect choice and in fact I am staying in a Fairfield Inn in two weeks. I love the brand! Just as a side note, the hotel did have a very extensive renovation about 5 years ago. It was $150 million dollars and the improvements made are spectacular. Thanks again for your comments and thank you for your loyalty to Marriott!
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have stayed here a couple times now and I am never disappointing. This hotel boasts location, views, and amazingly nice rooms. Honestly you would never need to leave the hotel if you located outside of a fun filled city. This hotel has everything you need to make any trip amazing. You do have to pay to park and it's not the cheapest but it is most certainly close to everything downtown and you can rest assured your vehicle is safe. If you don't stay here, walk inside and check it out. It is absolutely stunning. I bet when you leave you will want to come again to stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor overlooking the city.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your fantastic review. I'm so glad you enjoyed the hotel and all the Marriott Marquis has to offer. I hope you come back soon!
Noblesville, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Going to stay at the Atlanta Marquis be ready to pay a lot for almost nothing. My conference was there and the cheapest room ran $220 a night. (You may think your room is less until they start adding on taxes and fees.) For that sum, we got a basic bedroom, a dated miniscule bathroom complete with mildew on the bathroom tiles. Even the complimentary toiletries were sparse. The hotel shows its age with the stained old mattresses they attempted to hide with a pillow topper that just made us hot.

Nothing is cheap or free here and everything has a charge. I mailed promotional material to myself. I wasn’t allowed to pick it up, but was charged $10 for someone to bring it to me, the same with the luggage. We could have carried it to our room and managed to get it there faster too. A meal in the sports bar that doesn’t include alcohol runs $20 a person. Two mixed drinks and two glasses of mediocre wine was $55 at the bar.

Our luncheons were a travesty in service. Drink orders never came, requests for water refills were also ignored even though we never got our original drinks. The vegetarian entrees came after everyone else had finished their meal. The food itself was medium in quality. The vegetables were a bit overcooked, which was surprising since our vegan friends waited forever for their meals. The bread and goat cheese were nice compliments.

The water and ice had a bitter taste, perhaps making people resort to the $6 bottles of water in their room. Water elsewhere in the city tasted fine. Internet was $15 in the rooms and $20 if you wanted it to actually work well. Dampers in the rooms made it hard to use smartphones to check email. They advertised you could get free Internet in the lobby. Good luck with that since I had none. My husband, a software engineer, informed me that the hotel could easily have accommodated all the guests Internet needs.

So what did I get for my very expensive stay? A dated room complete with old mattress and mildewed bathroom. No breakfast, no Internet, not even a nice compliment of toiletries. It is $32 dollars to park every night and more with valet service, which adds on another couple hundred if you drive. A friend staying at the nearby Hyatt received free breakfast and Internet. Next time, conference is in Atlanta, I will find different accommodations.

Room Tip: My best tip is to go elsewhere.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I am very sorry you found the hotel to be to expensive for you. Our goals is to have our customers leave happy and want to come back. I assure you we do not do anything to the water to encourage others to pay for bottled water and our internet in our lobby is complimentary. We want people to go to the lobby and enjoy complimentary internet. Guests work, play, interract in our lobby all the time and enjoy this feature of our hotel. Again, please accept my sincere apologies for the challenges you had with our hotel.
Crawfordville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Have stayed here numerous times, in suites upper floors. Views are incredible, top notch staff, very helpful, prime location. Have not experienced any "old" issues that others have mentioned. Note 1) parking is valet only and pricey, but to be expected downtown and worth it. Husband has been ripped off in lots with boots to make car immovable, overnight parking ending @ 2:30am, scammed, etc. Not worth aggravation, just pay for the convenience. 2) can walk to Olympic park, aquarium, coke museum, but adjacent "mall" is not a mall. No shopping to speak, just basically food court. 3) our cleanliness standards are high and we are never disappointed. Everything is upgraded and beautiful to us. Items and furniture are kept to quality standard. Pricey and expected in downtown. We will return.

• Stayed July 2013
David O, Hotel Manager at Marriott Marquis Atlanta, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for your tremendous review. I appreciate all the comments about the cleanliness and service. We work hard to deliver the best service possible and I'm glad it hits home with you. Come back soon!
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed here four nights for a conference. They were overwhelmed with all the check-ins. Once in my room, it was very nice. High floor with a fantastic view. Typical nice Marriott bedding. Bathroom has been updated but it's very small. You could never get two people in there at the same time if traveling as a couple.

Maid service was pretty good but deteriorated as the stay went on. By the final day, I had only been given one bath towel and no bath mat. It seemed that when they cleaned the room, they pretty much just made the bed and cleaned the bathroom. I noticed that the glass drinking glasses were never replaced with clean ones during a 4-night stay. Maybe this is now standard practice in hotels?

Also noticed the hallway carpet wasn't regularly vacuumed because I saw the same piece of trash there for more than 24 hours.

They have a huge atrium with glass-enclosed elevators. They are super-slow, sometimes taking as long as 15 minutes to get an elevator. Even though a conference was going on, that was just crazy. There are multiple banks of elevators, with each bank designated for a range of about 11 upper floors, but that didn't alleviate the slowness problem.

They have a Starbucks, a very nice gift shop that is well-stocked with refrigerated pre-made sandwiches, salads, desserts, and beverages (including alcoholic). There is a sports bar, a more upscale restaurant, and a bar in the atrium. I didn't have time to use the pool or gym.

Conference meeting rooms are very nice. There is also a FedEx store where you can mail packages or do any of the other things you'd usually do there.

The hotel connects to a little mall with a few shops and mostly fast food type of restaurants. I think it's primarily used during the day by businesspeople. I went over there one evening about 6 PM and most everything was closed or getting ready to close. You can also go through there to get to the Peachtree Center MARTA station without going outdoors, but only when the mall is open. Otherwise, you have to walk a couple of blocks outside. I took MARTA from the airport but took a group shuttle back. It was $3 on MARTA and $16 to ride in a real nice SUV with a super courteous driver -- I would recommend the shuttle.

I got room service for breakfast one morning. The continental breakfast was advertised for $15 but when they added in the 20% service charge, $4 trip charge, and an extra $2 because I requested a banana, it was over $24. And that was before I gave the server a couple of bucks.

The Marriott staff is generally very courteous. They seem to have received plenty of customer service training.

This is a good hotel if you're attending a conference or have a business meeting nearby. For personal travel, you might want to shop around for a more budget-friendly rate. If you have an important appointment, give yourself an extra 15 minutes to make sure you don't get hung up by the elevator service.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a really great view of the city.
Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for this review. Is was by far one of the most thorogh reviews I have read. I appreciate the positive comments about the service. You seemed to have really liked the layout of the hotel meeting space, and restaurants. Unfortuantely we did have an elevator down while you were here and it effected how long it took to get you down from the floors and I am very sorry about that. I hope you come back to the hotel soon.

Been to Marriott Marquis Atlanta? Share your experiences!