“Beautiful hotel in a charming area” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #123 of 188 hotels in Atlanta
new mexico
“Beautiful hotel in a charming area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Stayed at the Marriott Courtyard in Vinings (a suburb of Atlanta) for a wedding. This hotel is deceptive - it doesn't look very big from the street, but sprawls around a beautiful pool with a waterfall-fed hot tub. Rooms are big, beds are a bit on the firm side, but very nice. Buffet breakfast with made-to-order omelets available too. The staff were very friendly and helpful too. Best part is the proximity to some great restaurants, bars within walking distance to a little shopping area (Garrison's was particularly nice, and there's a wine bar next to it with live Jazz on Saturday night). Vinings also has it's own "historical district", and it's right near one of the Chattahoochee River parks. If you get the chance, drive down Northside Dr. or Pars Ferry Rd. to see some of the amazing mansions tucked away in the forest - some of the largest "homes" I've ever seen.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

112 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Winston Salem, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

The Good: They have coffee in the morning. The rooms are nicely decorated with a small couch in king rooms and the pool is nice as well. They have a water cooler at the pool, the rooms have a fridge. The front desk staff was helpful. The location is great. You can walk to restaurants and bars. The lobby internet works well.

At the pool some families bring coolers of beer and set up huge picnics and hang out at the pool all day though which made it uncomfortable for me with the kids. There is no breakfast of any kind. The beds are old and saggy. The AC is UNBELIEVABLY loud. It is set to a central unit, not a window unit. It clicks on and off all day and night. It wakes you up every time. Housekeepers are rude and roll their eyes at you.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

I was really pleased with this hotel. It has a unique charming layout and atmosphere not typical of Marriott/Courtyard. The room was big, modern with a nice, big, comfortable bed. With two tables and chairs, my colleague and I were able to work comfortably. I stayed on the main floor facing the hotel, which allowed me to step out onto the patio and up to the pool, which would have been awesome if I had more time. I liked the Vinings area a lot. The free shuttle will save you a ton of taxi money. You're in walking distance to some great shopping and restaurants (I really liked Noche tapas restaurant). The shuttle will take you to the Cumberland mall which had some good shopping as well. Staff is super friendly, especially breakfast staff and the daytime shuttle driver. Breakfast was included in my very low rate and it was excellent.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Plainfield, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

This destination was picked due to its charm. Atlanta is hot in the summer but very pleasant. I found the people to be very friendly and nice. We stayed at the Marriott because of the familiarity of the hotel. My husband stayed there on business previously. The hotel is clean. Great pool and amenities. We rarely used our car. We walked to dinner and drinks every night. We did eat at a funky breakfast joint called R.Thomas good healthy food interesting atmosphere. The area called the Vinings is very historical. Nice place to shop and eat. Never a dull moment.

Room Tip: All rooms are great. If you can get a pool side go for it.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

Room was clean, & ready for my early check-in. Staff were friendly & there was lots of parking included in the price. Pool area is quite nice, which attracts a lot of people and makes it very noisey if you are trying to get to sleep.

Restaurant is only open for breakfast, but don't worry there are restaurants in walking distance.

Ask for a room not facing the pool if you are on business, if you have kids that want to use the pool ask for ground level facing the pool that way they can walk right out.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the pool!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

I just returned from a business trip in Atlanta where I stayed in the Courtyard by Marriott in Vinings. Note that this is on Paces Ferry Road SE - that was not in the address and caused me grief in finding the place. I would consider this an average business hotel with some points good and some points needing improvement. Since I didn't see a recent review when I was planning this trip, I will share more about my observations and experience here.

As usual, my main concern is the bed and quality of sleep I got. I have a feeling it was more me this trip than the bed, but instead of having issues with sleep just the first night, I was up and down all night each of the three nights I stayed here. I found the bed comfortable enough and clean. (I always examine the bed to make sure it is clean and not a concern for any surprises. It was acceptable.) However, I would rate the Hilton beds better than the one I slept in here. But it was OK and they were generous on the pillows.

One annoyance for me was the internet connectivity. Let me note it very clearly here for other business people like me in a similar situation. I travel with a computer that does not have wireless. I depend on a wired connection. The hotel had a connection for a wired internet connection in the room, but when it did not work and I asked at the front desk, they immediately told me that they did not have wired internet connectivity. That is a huge negative for business people since there are times when someone may need a large file and wireless is not friendly to long downloads. So if you need wired internet connectivity, check ahead to see if this is resolved or look elsewhere.

The air conditioning was LOUD. I could not complain about hearing anything from the adjacent room since the air conditioning would surely have drowned out any conversation, television or other noise from adjacent rooms.

If you are going to be here a long stay and like HD Television, look elsewhere. This is one of those hotels that has the nice flat panel televisions, but does NOT subscribe to HD service making the screen fuzzy. I also found the reception marginally acceptable. This is not your hotel if you watch television.

I am not disabled, but I found something poorly designed when I left the hotel with my rolling bag. I looked for the ramp so I could roll my bag and I could use the ramp well enough, but at the foot of the ramp,. where there has at one time been a wheelchair parking spot, there was instead a huge SUV blocking the end of the ramp. So much for appealing to those who are disabled.

Gosh I have been so critical, you might ask, what did you like? well, there were some good points about the hotel. I found the design of the hotel very good for not hearing the water running in the bathrooms. This is one of those hotels built the old fashioned way to obscure the water flow in the pipes so that it did not bother people in the rooms.

A very positive aspect of this hotel is the restaurant for morning breakfast. I was given a coupon for a free breakfast each of the three days I was here and the service both at the buffet and by the staff in the dining room was superb. It far exceeded my expectations and would influence me to stay here again since it is always good to have a nice breakfast in the morning and the food was delicious and fresh. On this, you have a good choice.

Parking was abundant.

On two of the three nights, I heard children running in the hallway, but not so much that it bothered me. however, it should be noted that they do appeal to families and if you need to do some serious business, be aware of this.

Finally, the front desk team was nice and hospitable - helpful. They were kind and considerate to guests.

My overall take away on this hotel is that it serves its purpose as a business hotel and I might consider it again, but I would only consider it average in view of the TV service, the noise of the A/C, and the average quality of the beds. Just remember that SE - it is important when you program that GPS or look it up in the yellow pages on the GPS when you rent the car.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Hudson Valley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

After reading some of the reviews, I made this reservation in the area as 'the lesser' of evils of various places. I was pleasantly suprised. The hotel is different looking than many Courtyards, situated on a bit of a hill, with different levels. The lobby/checkin area is not particularly spacious, but I don't hang out at the check in.!

The hotel was easy access of the interstates. It was easy to get around this north of Atlanta suburbs. There seemed to be plenty of local restaurants and chains nearby. I didn't use the hotel's breakfast (not included)

I had a King room. It was nicely appointed, very clean. The bathroom was reasonable in size, with the sink outside the main area. There were the normal toiletries provided. The bed was nice an comfortable. The housekeeping was very good.

I may have given the property 5 stars but for the internet connection. I am not a techie, but it slowed down to a crawl during the early to late evening hours, so much so that one night, I went to Paneras (a few blocks away) to log on to their free wifi. I needed to input material daily to my company daily, so this was an important issue for me.

If you are not bothered by the slow internet, then this would be a fine place to stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard Atlanta Vinings? Share your experiences!