“Attractive property, good location, superb service” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #19 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Attractive property, good location, superb service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I've stayed in several Ritz Carlton's, but, thanks to the lousy economy, its been awhile. At my recent stay at this Ritz I was reminded what excellent hotel customer service they deliver from the moment of check in until check out. From the basics done impecably, to the extras done without the need for proding, the Buckhead Ritz is totally on the money. Speaking of money, its obviously not cheap, but you wouldn't expect a true 5 star property to be a value stay. Its worth noting that there are several "5-star" pretenders out there that charge luxury rates and don't deliver top to bottom like the Ritz Buckhead. If you've stayed in a W Hotel you know what I'm talking about. This property is very attractive, well maintained, even the basic rooms are nicely appointed and comfortable, and the service is near perfect.
The only two minor knocks to throw out there are: 1) Ritz's are not contemporary chic - they're pretty dated from a decor/design standpoint. Its more about old world comfort and prestige. If thats a negative for you, the Mandarin Oriental or similar property may be a better choice. 2) This is a bit petty, but the hotel lounge drink prices are pretty obscene, especially for suburban Atlanta. Example: I ordered a Macallan 12 yr. The pour was a measured single shot (hate that) and for that mighty pour they charged $22. It stopped me from ordering 2 or more, which maybe was good in the end, but thats just plain overpricing, particularly when there is no special ambiance or music.
Overpriced drink aside, this property is truly excellent. As a side note, it is also well located if you want the Buckhead area. It is walking distance from a large, high end mall and many restaurants.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Jacksonville, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Check in took longer than necessary as there was only one person working at the front desk all Sunday evening. For a high end hotel the check in took too long for me and several other guests I observed. The hotel facilities are nice but not no wow factor at this property. The room was comfortable to a standard Marriott hotel but not much better in my opinion. I have been to the Ritz in D.C. and Jamaica and they are much better.

Staff tries to be helpful but slower than other staff at high end hotels I have visited. The best aspect of this hotel is that it is close to two malls.

I would recommend the Intercontinental or W down the street.

• Stayed October 2012
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We've stayed at the RC-Buckhead several times over the past 10 years and this was an exceptional visit among many wonderful experiences!!! YES, I'm gushing...service was, as expected, fabulous, however.....the upgrade was UNEXPECTED! We were asked upon arrival if our visit was for a 'special occasion' and being our 27th wedding anniversary counts, apparently, A LOT! super suite upgrade 20th floor HUGE suite, great views, and I ohhhh and ahhh everytime I go there. Shower was worth the trip, I swear! GO!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cancun, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Last weekend I had a very romantic stay. Rose petals on the bed at turn down. The hotel and suite was lovely. The hotel is located in the heart of Buckhead. In walking distance of great shopping and resturants. And if you didn't want to walk they had free limo service. The staff was amazing, helpful in every way! The entertainment in the bar was great, also ! You can't go wrong with the Ritz in Buckhead!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hua Hin, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

The hotel was great, really enjoyable stay and looked after us in every way, we dined and drank out in Buckhead each night, great little place with plenty to offer

One night on the way back our taxi bill was like double the usual amount, when we pointed this out to the taxi driver we were shown a gun, needless to say we paid. was a bit freaky though. so be careful with the local taxi drivers

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

This is a larger Ritz which has smallish rooms and bathrooms. Parking is $17 for self and $29 for valet. Small lobby with attentive staff. Had a few unlike Ritz incidents like the wrong newspaper given, no shampoo in the room and not knowing that we had to make reservations for breakfast. The rooms feature great beds and a very nice coffee tray with bottled water. Plasma TV's in the room with HD and non HD channels. Fairly large fitness center but not all the treadmills worked. Breakfast buffet is $29 and most entrees are $20 for breakfast. Also had dinner at the Cafe which was pretty good. Stayed at many Ritz's in the past but this one is more like a business hotel than a luxury resort hotel like some of the Ritz's are.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I have to say that overall, this was one of best hotel stays of the whole year (out of about 80 in 2012). I was happy to call the Ritz home for 4 nights & enjoyed all of them. Amazing staff, wonderfully kept public spaces, insanely clean rooms (w/ amazing beds), beautiful (small) bathrooms with lots of marble & glass, very quiet, great dining options, pretty good rates considering the local alternatives.

I'd like to say why I can't give the property 5 stars for this stay:
1) They are very unfair (think gouging) w/ food pricing inside the hotel if you don't dine in. One night I called the restaurant saying I wanted to come down & pick up dinner (thought it would be easier than waiting on room service)- the lady told me the food would be waiting at the concierge desk...great. I went down to get my $18 club sandwich & side salad, but there was a 22% service charge + $5-6? delivery fee (even though they didn't deliver the food, and quite simply walked 20 feet across the lobby to the desk). The total was $36 and change for a sandwich & cucumber salad (worth $24). I told the concierge I didn't I wasn't going to pay the bogus charges, but all he did was shrug his shoulders & say 'that's how it is'. I was too tired & irritated to complain to the Mgr, but the more I've thought about it, the more upset it's made me. To show that I'm not cheap, the night before I spent $90 dining by myself in the same restaurant- it's not about the money, it's the principal of feeling ripped off.
2) They charge $13.95/night for internet, even though I am a rewards member, have stayed 30 nights with Marriott so far in 2012 & will stay over 50 this year. I know all the major 'upscale' hotel chains do this, but again I feel ripped off as a business traveler that was already dropping $1100 for 4 nights (and dining in most night too).

Outside of the 2 complaints above, I have nothing to say but nice things about the Ritz Carlton. Not sure if I will stay there again or not, it remains to be seen (can the Mgr make this right or assure that it won't happen again?). Either way, super nice property...

Room Tip: Doesn't matter, they are all great.