“It is a rut!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #179 of 190 hotels in Atlanta
Augusta, Georgia
“It is a rut!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

We booked it after looking at their nice website showing beautiful pictures of a old hotel downtown Atlanta with awesome views inside and out. When we got there, we ended in an area where one would be scared to even get out of the car. The hotel was shabby and stinky, bathroom 2 sq.yds. in size, no blanket - i slept all dressed up - it was nasty. Our window was looking at projects, and people living there were noisy at night.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

49 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Hawesville, Kentucky, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

My boyfriend and I just went to Atlanta for a Minus the Bear show just a couple of blocks away at the Masquerade music venue. We were looking for something close and not too pricey, so we checked in.
The place is NOTHING like what it looks like on the website, first of all.
Secondly, there are numerous shady people that hang out around the area.. and since its an extended stay hotel, there are people practically LIVING there.
Its in a horrible part of town, and our experience was awful.
The room numbers aren't even in order, and the place is disgusting.
Some random girl in the parking lot pulled up behind us, took a picture of our license plate, and then claimed she was "lost" and checking her location.
Then, we get back to the hotel after the concert, and there are police patrolling the parking lot. This made us feel a little safer until when we woke up in the morning to check out, and there was a bullet hole in the front door.
Someone SHOT at the front entrance of the hotel, shattering the entire glass pane.
There were like, 5 cops in the parking lot.
It was so scary!
There were prostitutes hanging out in the parking lot too.
We only stayed one night but I swear I will never ever go back and I recommend that you HIGHLY reconsider if you ever find yourself wanting to stay here.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

My daughter stayes there right now,because thats the best we could do for now. I think the place would be great it's a very nice property and building, although the rooms are small. I think they need to get the staff in order or replace them, they are very friendly but not professional. The Manager needs to tighten up. People pay good money to stay there, they have cctv 24hr staff and a security guard at night. The staff that cleans they need to step it up 10 notches or more i could clean the building by myself and make a major impact. The walls, windows, laundry, and elevator area needs a lot of attention and the front desk area. I also feel staff need to stop people that dont live there from hanging out in front of the building and lobby area if there not there for tenants or business. It can be an excellent hotel for the price, but if mangement dont do anything Mr H J Russell needs to shop the place and clean house him self.

Room Tip: any room can be good if staff value there customers first and there job, because with out customer t...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

Pictures speak volumes over.. just like a few cars that I have purchased in the past. This place is very conveniently located. I was just shocked to find a hooker in the parking lot when I arrived at 9pm... It got even better, I showered and stepped out only to be followed by two fellows one of them being nice enought to introuduce himself.... He kept following me talking; so I asked are there any bars in the area... He proceeded to try to sell me all kinds of stuff. "I said I don't mess with any of that stuff"... He said you'll need a car to get to the bars. I said I got one as I stepped away only tryin to separate the distance between my self and them cause unbenownced to them two I had a .45 tucked in my belt buckle... 'just incase'. Thank God for Concealed Weapons Permits... for all the haters I was legal. Its a budget priced place its ok to stay, its dirty, but I would recommend that if you don't 'blend in' YOU BEST BE PACKIN, stay sober and just go to your effen room.
Oh and that dude just doesn't know how God was on his side last night for being nice.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Birmingham, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

I made reservations on Priceline for a one night stay at the Stratford Inn. When my friend and I made it there to check-in, we were told there were no more rooms left. Granted, it was late (after midnight), but I had made reservations weeks before hand. There were no staff on site...just a security guard, who couldn't do anything for us. We ended up driving about 30 minutes outside of Atlanta and staying there.
I complained to the manager about the issue. He offered me a free stay next time I was in town. This past weekend, my friend and I were back in Atlanta. We made it to the Stratford Inn in the afternoon. When I told the staff that I had a free stay (I also had a printed e-mail from the general manager confirming our free stay), they were clueless about it, but they gave us a room. When I casually asked the sweet front desk girl if this was a 'safe place', she responded with, "Yes, for the most part...we only have an issue about once a week or so"...THAT should have been our first clue that this was a dump. The room itself was nothing special. Cleaner than the hallway we had to walk through to get there.
When my friend and I returned to the hotel for the evening, we were suprised to find that we had to swipe our room key to even get into the front door of the hotel. There was that same security officer sitting inside...and again, not a staff member in sight.
We retired for the evening. Shortly after 8am the next day, we walked outside to our car...only to find that it was broken into. Yes, someone broke into our car, which was parked in the hotel parking lot.
The police officer who came to help us out told us that this was the WORST area of Atlanta. He said that just last week, he took two people to jail after they caused a scene at the hotel.
While the staff was relativily friendly (when they were actually there), the place is not in a safe area of Atlanta (obviously). You get what you pay for...mediocre rooms, nothing special (no free breakfast, no coffee makers in rooms). I understand that it is a cheap place to stay, but PLEASE...just pay the extra money and stay in a safer area. You'll be thankful that you did.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Big Sky, Montana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

I have never been afraid to stay somewhere before, but this place changed that. The entire hotel was filthy, the front desk "help" is behind glass, the elevator reeks of indescribable smells, and that is just the trip up to our floor. Walking down the hall to our room, 3 of the 5 steel room doors had been broke in... apparently kicked? The room was the smallest thing I've ever seen and you had to wash in a kitchen sink next to the bed. Enough. DO NOT STAY HERE

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY IN THIS HELLHOLE
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Bristol, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

We arrived at midnight, and left at 12:20 a.m. First of all there were very shady people in the parking lot..looked like they were dealing drugs. Then, you couldn't even get in the front door without being buzzed in by an armed security guard that looked like he was on probation. They wanted to hold our I.D's until we checked out. Smelled like pot smoke in the elevator. The rooms were small, dirty, old, holes in the wall, bed sheets and comforter were dirty. We walked right back out and went to another hotel. They did give us our money back the next day. Just take our advice and do NOT stay here.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Been to The Stratford Inn? Share your experiences!