“Excellent short stay” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
NYC
“Excellent short stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2008

Stayed on April 24 at the Ritz Carlton Atlanta. It was an excellent experience. The location was convenient (there's a MARTA stop right across the street) and a $30 cab ride from the airport. The staff was extremely friendly and attentive. The room was very clean (stayed on the 5th fl) and quiet, although I think the walls are a bit thin as I could hear the folks next door.

I had a light dinner at the Atlanta Grill on the second floor. Very attentive staff but a bit pricey, which wasn't surprising.

Overall I was very pleased and would stay there again.

• Liked — Very attentive staff and excellent service
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Canton, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2008

This was the best hotel experience I have EVER had. I've stayed at 4-star hotels and I've stayed at plenty of 2 and 3-star. I like a clean room, I like a good deal. We booked the "reconnect" package for only $199. Included was complimentary valet AND breakfast for two. We opted to have our breakfast as room service and basically were allowed to order whatever we wanted. Woul you like to add a fresh fruit platter? Yes, please! It was a $60 value alone. Champagne at check-in and top-notch customer service. We were showered with friendly staff. I was very surprised at some of the negative reviews here. Tired? I didn't see it at all. I thought the lobby was stunning. Location? Um, it's Atlanta. Grab a cab and go where the action is! We even requested a late checkout, 2p, because we just didn't want to leave. This place was THAT good.

• Liked — Customer Service!
  • Disliked — Atlanta ain't my favorite city, but we made the best of it
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2008

After reading several negative reviews on here I was a bit skeptical about going to the Ritz in downtown Atlanta. My husband urged me to go however since he had to go for business so I agreed to go along and check it out. I have to say-it far exceeded my expectations. I think that a lot of people on here are just nit-picky complainers. I get tired of reading about rude staff-the bottom line is no matter where you go if you are nice you get good service. (99% of the time) If you are rude you get what you are probably asking for.
As soon as we pulled up we were escorted into the lobby for a very prompt check in. We were early and we were told our room wasn't ready so we went to get lunch. An hour later when we got to our room, we didn't like the view. We NICELY called the front desk and asked for the manager who moved us from floor 12 right up to floor 20 with a wonderful view. It was a large corner room and was more than I could have imagined. We also asked for complimentary club level for our hassle and were given it for our entire four night stay. That was just a small example of the spectacular service we received at the Ritz. Everyone greeted us by name and we never felt as though people were looking for a tip like at some places where it is obvious it is expected.
The hotel was spotless, and everyone from the housekeeping to the bellman to the front desk staff made sure we always had everything we needed. Robin and Kafayrah, both in conceirge, are two employees who were exceptional and always went out of their way to share their knowledge and offer helpful tips. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. When I was there I felt like a queen!

• Liked — Beautiful hotel with wonderful staff
  • Disliked — Room service wasn't great, no pool
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2008

The RC Atlanta is located right downtown, centrally located. 5-7 minute walk to Philips arena and CNN center. Near all of the other downtown hotels.

It is pretty much what you would expect of the RC but it is need of some renovation investment. This hotel was probably top shelf about 20 years ago; now it is a bit worn and dated. Age shows in the hotel rooms: worn carpet, really old decor, aged furnishings, lack of bathroom fans, and other amentities.

Service was hit or miss. The concierge on the club floor was great and very helpful. He recommended dinner at South City Kitchen which was superb- a semi-contemporary take on southern cooking, located in midtown- huge thumbs up! But when I called, prior to check in, for some local information, the concierge who "helped" could not have been less helpful- she made it clear to me that she was not going to go out of her way for me in any way. Front desk staff were very efficient and friendly.

A standard room on the club floor was fine- small bathroom with bulgari toiletries. The room was very clean, maid service was very efficient and discreet. They brought me a Sunday New York Times- bonus points! Internet access costs $10/day- minus points since this is a pet peeve of mine.

This hotel is fine, centrally located, and business-friendly, if you're not paying too much (if you're paying over $250/night, you're getting ripped off). Probably good for older folks who aren't put off by the dated "classic" decor. I just think it looks like it is time for investing a little renovation money into this property- it reminds me of the four seasons in toronto: nice but very dated and not up to par with four seasons expectations.

• 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Salt Lake City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2008

Stay in RCs' frequently and have never been this disappointed, we actually left after one night and went over to the JW Marriot, a much more pleasant expereince, albeit a JW Marriott.

I know there are different sizes and locations of rooms, but ours was the worst I have experienced at a RC. It could not have been larger than 300 SQ, wall paper above the bed peeling, a bathroom the size of a shoebox except it included mildew and cracked tiles...overall just far below RC standards to which we are accustomed. Small things can drive me crazy because that is usually what differentiates the RC for me, they sweat the small stuff. So a broken lampshade, burned out bulb, poor quality TV, half-empty shampoo bottle, etc., all compounded my dissatisfaction. We were also by the elevator and the moise level was very irritating, very poor noise insulation.

Common areas too seemed old, worn and unkept by RC standards, did not try the restaurants. They were cooperative upon leaving early and it just seemed like my early departure was not a first time event!

• Stayed October 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cape Coral, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2008

I recently stayed in this hotel while attending the January Gift Show, and the location is perfect (as another reviewer has noted), and while I was impressed to some degree, I would only stay here again if work is footing the bill. What really impressed me the most was the staff. You could tell the Ritz employees knew their brand depended on their hospitality, but it felt genuinely sincere! From the valet attendents to the front desk to the shop employee, they all truly seemed like it was a pleasure to assist you! In fact, on our last day we got in the elevator with our luggage to leave, and an employee on the elevator offered to go ahead and radio to get our car so as soon as we left the hotel it was already there waiting! And the live orchids in the room, toiletries (even complimentary slippers), etc. were all a very nice touch including complimentary bottled water in the room and even at the valet station. And the music and turn down service, etc. were a nice touch too. The hotel itself is nice enough, but at the end of the day, it is just a bed in a room (and I wasn't overly impressed with the decor) so that is why I would not pay $400 rack rates just to stay at the "Ritz", but if you are getting a deal, then yes, I would recommend this property.

• Liked — the service
  • Disliked — the dated decor
Ormond Beach, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2008

My new absolute favorite hotel in downtown Atlanta is the Ritz-Carlton. I go to the Gift Show every January at the AmericasMart downtown and have stayed in a variety of downtown hotels. For the few dollars more per night than the other places I've stayed Downtown it is totally worth it (keeping in mind I get a show-rate -- while it's not cheap, it is better than the ridiculous prices they usually get ).

The proximity to the Mart is enough to make it worth it - the only thing closer is the Westin that is actually connected by an indoor bridge to the Mart and the Westin is across the street from the Ritz. You only have to be outside in the January cold less than 3 minutes if the light to cross is against you - less than 1 minute if not!

Check-in was smooth - my room was even ready (had never happened in any other hotel in all the years I've been going to Atlanta) and I was offered a beverage while checking in.

The room was very nice, but I wouldn't say there was much that set it apart from any of the nicer hotels I've stayed, room-wise (besides a live orchid in the bathroom and a couple things I'll mention below). What really set the hotel apart (for me) is the top-notch, courteous service - everyone from the maids to the desk to any employee you crossed paths with greeted you with a smile and asked how your day was going and wished you a good day. Not an askance service attitude anywhere - not even once.

The coolest thing (this is silly, but it was cool to me) was when I got back to my room after dinner the first night, turn-down service had been there, the lighting in the room was subdued, the TV was on a relaxing music channel and chocolates on the pillow - but here's the cool part - I called down to leave my wake-up call time and also asked where the ice on my floor was located. I hung up, picked up the ice bucket and found that there was already ice in it!

There were also little bottles of complimentary water all over the room as well as a reasonable, well-stocked mini-bar and a tea and coffee caddy full of a variety of teas and coffee choices with a one-cup water heater. I had read the room amenities online before I'd left home and saw that there was a CD player in the room, so I brought a classical CD with me and enjoyed very much having that playing when I returned to the room at night and while I dressed in the morning. Very relaxing. If I hadn't brought a CD with me, I could have listened to the "romantic piano" CD that was provided. I didn't use it, but there was a Hi-speed access connection at the desk in the room and a cordless phone.

I ordered room service breakfast and coffee the night prior and it was delivered exactly on time and my wake-up calls were right on time each morning as well. I dined at the Atlanta Grille with friends - the restaurant in the Ritz - and found the service and food to be perfect. The lobby and lobby bar were lovely and the elevators are key-access only. When I saw that the fitness center was located across the hall from my room (409), I was concerned with early morning noise, but it was no bother at all (it looks like any other room door and is also key-access; I meant to have a look, but never did).

There were only a couple minor problems - the light on the magnifying make-up mirror blew out the first morning and I called to the desk for it to be replaced and it wasn't. And the air conditioner in the room had an occasional funny whirring noise like a loud CD spinning up in a player. I was either too tired to notice it at night or it only did it in the early hours of the morning. If I'd been staying there longer, I would have tried harder to fix that or something.

The Gift Show is a grueling experience and a little pampering at the end of the day is very welcome. I will certainly plan to stay there again and hope my next experience is just as nice.

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Atlanta? Share your experiences!