“Top Notch Service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 189 hotels in Atlanta
Allentown, NJ
“Top Notch Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Spent 3 nights at this property with my wife and daughter when we were in town for CHEERSPORT Nationals. My wife booked early and got us a great rate on an Executive Suite.

Check-In: There was a very minor issue at check-in. They had our reservation but were having trouble finding our Marriott Rewards number on file. Got it squared away in no time and we were done with check in and in our room in a matter of minutes. The only other issue we had was that we did not know ahead of time that the concierge lounge needs to be booked ahead of time and it was already booked when we checked in. It was one of the reasons we booked the suite, since we thought it gave us access. Now we know for next time. We were informed that we had a $100 room credit as a suite guest and free WiFi, which was nice.

Staff: I cannot say enough about the staff at this hotel. From the front desk, to the bell staff and valets, to the restaurant staff and to housekeeping, these folks know how to treat their guests. The bellman that took us to our room went over the various aspects and details of the room and covered everything I could think of asking, without having to be asked. The valet staff, upon checkout asked us if we needed directions to our destination. The housekeeping staff was quick to respond to calls for a roll away bed, extra pillows and also in replacing the mattress for the fold out sofa. The restaurant staff was extremely pleasant and knowledgeable. The front desk staff was out in the lobby greeting guests as they came in off the street. These are the little touches that help make your stay at a property enjoyable. The last thing you want to deal with on any trip is a disagreeable or ineffectual staff.

Room: We had Executive Suite 523. The room was great. I'm not sure how old this property is, but if it is an older property, it sure is well kept and has held up well. The suite comes with a Bose DVD entertainment system in the living room and an iPod speaker system in the bedroom. There is two flat screen TVs and a charging station/computer plug ins near the desk in the bedroom. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I've slept in. It was a step above the beds we've had at other Marriott brand hotels with their pillow top mattress. The bathrooms were on the small side and the main bath has a large, top mounted sink basin. It's a nice modern touch, but it eats up virtually all the counter space. The fold out bed for our daughter had stains (food) on it from prior use. We wouldn't have noticed it if the bed was made up as we requested, but we are glad we saw it. The first night, we just ordered a roll away bed from housekeeping, but it was really old and not very comfortable at all. We told housekeeping about the mattress. They came up to attempt to clean it, but said it couldn't be cleaned so they checked for a spare mattress. They came back in about 10-15 minutes with a newer mattress and swapped it out. Problem solved.

Restaurants/Bars: We ate at the Atlanta Grill one morning for breakfast. The service was great and the food was amazing. My wife did the buffet and had waffles and my daughter and I did a la carte. My daughter raved about the crepes and the blueberry pancakes with the peach compote was excellent as well. The staff also gave us a to go container for some pastries we didn't eat. We didn't have a chance to sit and have some drinks at Lumen, but in lieu of room service, my wife got our daughter some late night chicken fingers that ended up being slightly cheaper than room service since the add in a hefty service and delivery charge. The Lumen space itself is on the small side, but nicely appointed with comfortable couches and chairs and a very sleek, illuminated high bar table.

Location: The hotel is located in the downtown area. It is about a 15-20 minute walk to the Georgia World Congress Center and other attractions in Olympic Park (CNN, Coca-Cola World and Georgia Aquarium). The MARTA Peachtree Station is a short walk away as are some touristy dining options (Hard Rock Cafe and Hooters). We opted not to use MARTA because we would have had to walk up to Peachtree, take it one exit down to Five Points, then re-board another train to go one stop to the GWCC. We had friends staying at the Marriott Marquis that used MARTA and it took them 40 mins (door to door) to do this trip one day (they missed one train). It only takes 20 mins to do the walk as I mentioned earlier.

Overall: I would not hesitate to stay at this property again if we return to Atlanta. The staff, location and room comfort/amenities are worth it.

Room Tip: Executive Suite 523 overlooks Peachtree Street and is more than enough room for a family of 3 or 4 i...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

666 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

This well situated hotel in the core of downtown was a great retreat. I like the location being so convenient to the MARTA line, which can take you all over the city. Service across the board was outstanding from my very late check in to my departure. I like the extra small details; the fresh headphones in the fitness center, the four varieties of complimentary tea in the room, the extra towels that are there without having to call for them. My room was very comfortable, super clean and well appointed. I see some people have found the hotel a bit dated, but I think it is charming. I never felt anywhere was crowded or that I had to wait for anything. Room service is amazing, fast, great quality, served with a smile. The bread basket alone is worth the price. I would recommend it for anytime you want to be in downtown Atlanta.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Auburn, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for one night while visiting atl. Nothing special. Needs a serious facelift. Not going back. The ritz in buckhead is nicer. However, staff was great. Valet was great. Hotel is old and run down. Bathroom is tiny. Had used lotion bottle on counter

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Is the property ageing? Yes! Buy, its super clean and cared for. Staff is worthy of a Ritz Carlton. Helpful and gracious. Food and bar service was also excellent.
We stayed in the 1bdrm suite, the bath tub wouldn’t drain and the staff would drain it for us. They promised to fix it once we checked out and I believe them. Everything else in the room was in great shape. Lack of coffee maker and fridge was a drag but they then brought us a mini fridge. Response time was always quick, and any minor issue we had was graciously taken care of. We used the house car several times and also had great service! Check in and check out were ultra smooth! I give the Ritz-Carlton a 5 Star not because everything was perfect but because what minor issues we had were quickly dealt with. They are giving 110%! We thank you and will see you again soon!! (note, no pool but excellent gym)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

So I took my wife for a one-night birthday 'staycation' this weekend at the Ritz, which is just a couple miles down Peachtree from us. We're hotel snobs, so it's hard to really impress us. The famous Ritz-Carlton service standards are definitely alive here; you can tell how much the chain puts into training and service. Every staff member you come in contact with greets you and makes you feel welcome. Check-in was a breeze and we were upgraded to a city-view room, which was appreciated.

As others have posted before me, the building is one of the older properties in the company, and the age is starting to show here and there. Specifically, the bed was really uncomfortable - it's basically what feels like a 20+ year-old bed with a feather topper thrown on top. For the room rates, they need to upgrade to some sort of comfort sleeper, in my opinion. The bathrooms were also a bit smaller than I'd expect. Other small details are certainly not important (no ice in the ice machine on my floor, long elevator wait times), but we've stayed in other properties (specifically Grande Lakes in Orlando, which is just an amazing experience) where you'd never see the 'little things' sneak up on you.

People - A+. Facility - B+. Under the right circumstances or an outstanding bargain rate, we'd return. That said, there are a number of luxury properties in the area, and most in areas where you wouldn't be afraid to walk outside at night. (Which has nothing to do with Ritz, of course, but is simply the sad state of affairs in downtown.)

Room Tip: Higher floors have some great views. We were on the end of a hall and it was quiet as could be.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Auburn, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My husband and I recently spent a night at the Ritz-Carlton Atlanta while in town. We've stayed in many properties in ATL and this was our first time staying at the RC. From the second we pulled up to valet, until the time we left valet the following morning, the staff was incredibly helpful and attentive. The hotel was fairly busy when we checked in but we were helped immediately and offered our complimentary champagne. Check-in was really very fast. The wait time for an elevator was too long but the University of Virginia basketball team was in town and many players were going up and down while we attempted to go up. The wait, while long, was fine thanks to the champagne and the beautiful lobby.

Our room was on the 15th floor and we had a nice view of downtown. The room was spacious and comfortable and the bed was heavenly. The room was very spotless, which is always nice. The RC umbrella in the room came in very handy, as it started pouring when we were leaving to go to dinner.

When we arrived back at our room hours later, it had been completely turned down and was very welcoming and cozy.

The towels in the bathroom were large and thick, which I appreciate. The water pressure wasn't the greatest and the water in the shower never got as hot as I would have preferred.

All in all this is a fantastic property, with wonderful employees and a great location. We will certainly stay here again with our travels bring us back to Atlanta.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Norfolk, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Great place to say, very nice with an awesome central location...especially if you've never been to Atlanta. Great bar and excellent service. The breakfast was very good but a little expensive so I'd recommend you do the buffet as it's really well done.

Room Tip: Go higher up and ask for a room on the corner.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Atlanta? Share your experiences!