“Outstanding Service, Property Starting to Age” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #29 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
Atlanta
“Outstanding Service, Property Starting to Age”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

So I took my wife for a one-night birthday 'staycation' this weekend at the Ritz, which is just a couple miles down Peachtree from us. We're hotel snobs, so it's hard to really impress us. The famous Ritz-Carlton service standards are definitely alive here; you can tell how much the chain puts into training and service. Every staff member you come in contact with greets you and makes you feel welcome. Check-in was a breeze and we were upgraded to a city-view room, which was appreciated.

As others have posted before me, the building is one of the older properties in the company, and the age is starting to show here and there. Specifically, the bed was really uncomfortable - it's basically what feels like a 20+ year-old bed with a feather topper thrown on top. For the room rates, they need to upgrade to some sort of comfort sleeper, in my opinion. The bathrooms were also a bit smaller than I'd expect. Other small details are certainly not important (no ice in the ice machine on my floor, long elevator wait times), but we've stayed in other properties (specifically Grande Lakes in Orlando, which is just an amazing experience) where you'd never see the 'little things' sneak up on you.

People - A+. Facility - B+. Under the right circumstances or an outstanding bargain rate, we'd return. That said, there are a number of luxury properties in the area, and most in areas where you wouldn't be afraid to walk outside at night. (Which has nothing to do with Ritz, of course, but is simply the sad state of affairs in downtown.)

Room Tip: Higher floors have some great views. We were on the end of a hall and it was quiet as could be.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Auburn, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My husband and I recently spent a night at the Ritz-Carlton Atlanta while in town. We've stayed in many properties in ATL and this was our first time staying at the RC. From the second we pulled up to valet, until the time we left valet the following morning, the staff was incredibly helpful and attentive. The hotel was fairly busy when we checked in but we were helped immediately and offered our complimentary champagne. Check-in was really very fast. The wait time for an elevator was too long but the University of Virginia basketball team was in town and many players were going up and down while we attempted to go up. The wait, while long, was fine thanks to the champagne and the beautiful lobby.

Our room was on the 15th floor and we had a nice view of downtown. The room was spacious and comfortable and the bed was heavenly. The room was very spotless, which is always nice. The RC umbrella in the room came in very handy, as it started pouring when we were leaving to go to dinner.

When we arrived back at our room hours later, it had been completely turned down and was very welcoming and cozy.

The towels in the bathroom were large and thick, which I appreciate. The water pressure wasn't the greatest and the water in the shower never got as hot as I would have preferred.

All in all this is a fantastic property, with wonderful employees and a great location. We will certainly stay here again with our travels bring us back to Atlanta.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Norfolk, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Great place to say, very nice with an awesome central location...especially if you've never been to Atlanta. Great bar and excellent service. The breakfast was very good but a little expensive so I'd recommend you do the buffet as it's really well done.

Room Tip: Go higher up and ask for a room on the corner.
Copperhill, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Well.....I will tell you....check in is important to me. This check in was not smooth at all. I got there and was not welcomed as a platinum member, i waited several minutes for someone to be able to help me at front desk, i asked about the the club level access for platinum members....they informed me that that wasn't available at the ritz only at marriott.....I had called to ask before I came and was told it was so that is why I booked the room.....apparently Ritz Carlton's can make local decisions as to honor this perk thru marriott or not to honor......the girl at front desk offered to sell me the club level for my two nights and I declined and informed her to what i was told....a manager came over to help.....told me that the club level was "fully committed" ...I informed her up the upsell that I had declined....she then informed me that it wasn't available for two nights only one....this just didn't sit well with me because I was clearly offered two nights just moments before....no sincere apologies....just lie after lie....i checked into my room it was nicely decorated but the bed was awful and the tv was worse...I decided to make another reservation for the nights in question and low and behold.....i made one for two nights on the club level.....i waited for my reservation to come thru went to a meeting and then came back by and the same story was still in place at the front desk.....I then informed them of my other reservation I had made....they looked it up and to the surprise of the manager she found I had the club level for two nights...she stammered and sidestepped and i just reminded her that some people will climb a tree to tell a lie than stand on the ground and tell the truth.....finally she informed me that this "one" time she would extend the club level...she kept emphasizing the "one" time. Oh I went to the club level....stayed 90 minutes each evening and shared a large room with 6 other people.......stayed 60 minutes during each breakfast......and shared same large room with 4 people...didn't really appear to ever be fully committed....my pillows never got any better, nor did my bed, and my tv just had a mind of its own. would not recommend at all at this point

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I spent two nights at the Ritz, and I was so very pleased (as always) with the friendly and helpful staff I encountered, from the front desk, to the concierge, to the lounge waiter. I was impressed and comforted.

My room was comfortable and well-appointed, as expected. Nothing fancy, this is simple comfortable elegance without flash. But what matters in a room is a super comfortable bed, a clean bathroom, and quiet. All were exactly what I needed for a good night's sleep.

Check-in was a breeze, and I was able to get quick information on available dining options at my late check-in.

All of this came at a very competitive rate. Hard to pass up.

I would agree on the comments about the hotel location. But if you have business downtown, then this is as close to it all as you need to be.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
san francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We only stayed for one night but found the staff super helpful and always so nice. The gym was great, well appointed for a hotel work out room, and the room was lovely. The bathroom was on the small side but wasn't a problem for us. I would stay here again.

Nassau, New Providence Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton 17 January 2013 to 20 January 2013 and we stayed in room 2210; the room itself was clean well laid out and everything we expected of the Ritz upon entry; But the bed was old and worn the springs had gave no support and as a result both my husband and i complained of back aches; they attemt to camouflage teh age of of the bed with a feather bed but this is an epic fail...
The hotel itself is in a great location the reaturants and surrounding areas are perfect for a short get away as well as the STAFF were awesome; the hotel was fully booked due to the Sanfrancisco 49ers and the San Antoni Spurs both having games in Atlanta and all staying at the Ritz and despite this the STAFF were very attentive and friendly at all times

the only reason this review is Average is because they really need to change the beds if not in the entire hotel definitely in room 2210

Room Tip: The room wasnt bad but the BED in room 2210 needs to be discarded it felt atleast 10 years old
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Atlanta? Share your experiences!