“Epic Disappointment!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 189 hotels in Atlanta
Atlanta
“Epic Disappointment!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Where do I even begin? I suppose at the beginning. We valet parked and walked into a jam-packed lobby reminiscent of checking in at a Vegas Strip hotel. We waited in line to check-in. I think when you pay the kind of money you pay to stay at a Ritz Carlton there should not be check-in lines like the one we experienced. Our room was nice. We were on the Concierge Level on the 24th floor. Issues with the room: It was above a billboard that constantly changed color and the drapes could not block out the flashes of brightness throughout the night in this room. In addition, the red light on the phone would not stop blinking. The alarm clock by the bed was so bright I had to put a towel over it. Even the smoke detector had a too-bright blinking light. Very difficult to get a peaceful dark room here. Lots of hallway noise and banging. We may have been across the hall from a utility closet. And, by the way, they should know that you cannot make an old mattress comfortable by putting a feather bed on top of it. The bathrobe hanging in the bathroom looked dirty and had pen marks on it. The products provided have such a strong smell they are offensive. They retrofitted the bathroom with a raised sink that takes up all of the counter space. I did not find a blowdryer in the room.

We ordered in-room dining for an afternoon snack. I ordered a chicken quesadilla -- pretty simple, right? It was basically an empty fried tortilla. So gross.

Had a late dinner at the Atlanta Grill in the hotel. The service was terrible. No one there to greet us when we walked in. We were initially seated at a terrible table at the entrance and right in front of the band. We asked to move to a different table. No one came to get our drink order. I had to get up and speak with the hostess about the lack of service. Service throughout the meal was inattentive. At one point they comped my drink because they'd forgotten to put in my order and I had to ask again for a cocktail. This is not a cheap hotel restaurant. It's quite pricey. I was shocked at the bad service. As for the food, I had soup and salad. There was so much dressing on the salad I couldn't eat it. My boyfriend loved his seafood dish, though!

Ate at the Atlanta Grill for the breakfast included in our package. Yet again a long line to get in. Being unsure of whether I needed to give them my name I walked in, there was no hostess, when she arrived I told her we had a party of two and she was about to seat us when a guest yelled at me for jumping the line. It was so disorganized how was I to know?!? I had already asked another guest about the line and he didn't seem to know. I was so embarrassed I walked out, waited a bit and then came back in. While we waited 15 minutes to be seated other guests were asking us questions about being seated for breakfast. Terrible service yet again. Then we're seated at a table. Two servers came by and messed with the two extra place settings. No server offered us beverages. When the third server came by he asked if we were still waiting for the rest of our party. What rest of our party???? We asked for a table for two. The hostess obviously screwed it up. Probably why we had to wait 15 minutes to be seated. And why, even if we were waiting for other people which we were not, did they not offer us coffee or tea or water or anything??? The food was average.

We go to leave and are told that we cannot call ahead to have our car brought up because it's so busy. And that we should just come down with our valet ticket and wait for them to get our car.

Positives of our stay: The Concierge Level lounge was lovely. Manuela gives excellent service there. She should be running the whole hotel. Also, they have nice towels in the room.

Perhaps I had high expectations because this is a Ritz Carlton hotel. Shouldn't I have had high expectations? I would've been happier and more comfortable at a Holiday Inn Express. Never again Ritz Carlton. Never again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

661 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

We are members of the frequent users of this hotel chain. There were individuals on this trip who meet and exceeded the standards we expect. The driver Randy and the somolie were two. The room was that of a basic Holiday Inn and the lounge was as tacky as it could be with high backed velvet seats and glass balls lit,someone has even taken a perfectly good chrystal chandelier and wrapped screens around them in an effort to look contemporary. The meal would have been wonderful and was in many ways had it not been for one peice of under cooked foie gras that made me sick and kept me up all night. Thankfully there are two in Atlanta.

• Stayed December 2012
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I had a girls' night out and we stayed here after being out on the town. The room was everything you would expect from Ritz. The service was excellent. I ate breakfast at the hotel. It was very good but somewhat expensive. I'm looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I stayed at the Ritz one night when in the area for business. In my experience, the service was top notch, starting with the valet parking. Although the "motor lobby" is a bit tight and congested, the valet staff did a good job of keeping things moving. The hotel lobby is not all that spacious, but it is nicely decorated. My room was very nice as you would expect from a high end hotel. An iPod docking station was on the night stand. The bed had an armanda of decorative pillows which were all neatly put aside by the turn down service before I returned from dinner. I thought the bed seemed too soft when I first sat it, however I slept wonderfully even though I like a fairly firm mattress. They also offer a complimentary (overnight) shoe shine service. I was particularly impressed by the rechargeable flashlight located in the closet. I felt they are serious about safety wanting to ensure everyone has a light if needed for a worst case evacuation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Bolton, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed 3 nights for a conference at the Westin. Glad I stayed here (the Westin is a crowded behemoth of a hotel). Service was excellent, room was very good and spacious. Gym was ok, but small and limited weights. Wifi is extra. For a few bucks more than the Westin (with my corporate rate) the ritz is worth the extra $. But the food at the Atlantic Grill was just ok. Rays in the City was much better.

Room Tip: Ask for a high quiet room to stay away from the elevators. Wi fi is exta so be prepared.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I had a quick stay at the Ritz Carlton and it was very nice. Room was in great shape as I would expect from the Ritz Carlton. Service was very good. Business center had many workstations and was well equipped.

Only downside was breakfast buffet was a little skimpy and oddly laid out in their nice restaurant

I would definitely go back.

Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I stayed three nights in the Ritz-Carlton in Atlanta. Overall this was a good experience. Staff was very professional, friendly and provided good service (check in/out, breakfast, room-service).

The room is like most American hotel rooms: a big room with a desk to work, decoration/furniture not very appealing (but that is a matter of taste). Bathroom practical and clean but a bit outdated.

Food quality of both room service and breakfast was good.

No slippers and no safe, to keep valuable items locked away, which I would have expected in a Ritz-Carlton.

I payed 173 USD per night which I consider a fair price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Atlanta? Share your experiences!