“Great weekend at the Renaissance” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel & Convention Center

You added Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel & Convention Center to your Saves list
Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2450 Galleria Pkwy, Atlanta, GA 30339   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #47 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
Cary, North Carolina
“Great weekend at the Renaissance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

Stayed for a long weekend in Atlanta with two kids, ages 8 &9. The hotel is very clean. There was plenty of room in our standard room for all four of us and our stuff. Kids enjoyed the indoor pool which was a really nice pool and pool deck area. The excercise room seemed well equipped. The hot tub, sauna and steamroom were great as well. The hotel was really quiet over the weekend which was really nice. The room service menu was very expensive. We did miss having a mini fridge in the room, it would have been nice to be able to keep breakfast food. Good location... the mall is across the street with good restaurants. Downtown atlanta was a short drive down I-75.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
LaGrange, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

Enjoyed a Christmas party with my husband's company at the Cobb Galleria Center. The hotel was conveniently connected to the center so we were able to walk without going outside. The hotel is beautifully decorated for the holidays, staff were professional and friendly. This is a first class property.

Room Tip: Our room did not have a view...the only disappointment we encountered
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Rome Ga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

I have had the opportunity to stay at the Renaissance Waverly for several years now and they continue to keep standards high. The little touches are very nice like the Champagne and strawberries that we had sent to the room. Highly recommend...

Room Tip: All Rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
East Brunswick, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

I recently stayed at the Renaissance Waverly Hotel for a business meeting in Atlanta. I'd probably give it a 3 1/2 star rating. As other reviewers have stated this hotel is a bit outside the downtown area, but it's proximity to the Galleria Mall makes it a great choice for the business traveler. The hotel is very accomodating but some minor issues cause me to knock it down a notch. First, I had requested a king bed but wound up in a room with two queens. On the last day, I had no hot water for the shower. I was just going to the airport but if I had a business meeting it would have been more inconvenient. The layout of the hotel does tend to make for a lot of noise. The atrium seems to channel the noise and since all rooms face the atrium, you are going to hear it. I wasn't there during a convention, but I can imagine that it can get quite loud if they are hosting a convention. Good onsite restaurants. The bar is usually busy. And as I mentioned before, the Galleria is right down the street offering Maggiano's and nice steak house restaurant. Overall a solid choice but I might try another less expensive Marriott in the area on the next trip.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Albuquerque
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

The hotel staff in Atlanta was incredibly friendly. This is a tough measure, as a rule Southern Hospitality brings everything in the customer service field up a notch as a traveler comparing to the rest of the US. But even in the extra-friendly South, the Waverly staff was unified in their effort to raise the bar.

At the front: parking is a little tight, the free self-park lot requires crossing the usually crowded front entrance and then weaving through a slightly chaotic lot which can grow very crowded. A few nights the valet only area is the only spot free. The valets cooperate when there is an overflow. The front is staffed at nearly every hour by a friendly staff. I've yet to open the door with the attentive front staff.

Check in: As with most Marriott Hotels, the check-in is quick and painless. As a Platinum Premier, I was upgraded to the concierge floor on all but one of ten stays. Longer reservations get priority on the upgrades from what I am able to gather. There are plentiful suites though the suite upgrade has eluded me thus far at this property.

Room: The room is very clean and consistent. The freeway sound is negligible. The in-room wifi is almost worthless on the 14th floor; a cable is available at the desk. An odd missing component at this hotel, there is no power extension at the desk. A four socket wall outlet is located at the floor near the leg of the table. Usually at least a lamp outlet can be found, but here you'll be digging around on the floor, occasionally needing to rearrange to get power for a laptop and phone charger. A power strip would be a great addition to the desk if the hotel reads this. Did I mention the wifi? When do you get a signal, it is painfully slow.

Amenities: Club level has the big fluffy robe and extra toiletries along with turn down service. Furnishings appear consistent between floors.

Lobby: The lobby is spectacular, a wonderfully open air and well lit lobby with plenty of activity. The echo of the lobby allows some louder convention groups to reverberate to the floors with rooms, but the sound fades quickly and doesn’t disturb the room to a great deal.

Restaurants: The bar and restaurant are connected, most of the traffic tenders towards the bar with the same menu. Drinks are reasonable (for a hotel), and the menu is spectacular. However the attached Galleria Mall (I call it the dead mall) has two restaurants with better drink offerings. The food though is worthwhile in the hotel.
Concierge Lounge: The lounge is half great and half mediocre. I judge all Marriott Lounges by the scrambled eggs, which are in the top 5 % (my arbitrary measure of eggs include fluffiness, moist, freshness, and appearing to be a real egg as opposed to a bulk egg composite). Outside of this I have a laundry list: Seating is virtually unavailable during busy weeks, a 20 minute wait for a chair is not uncommon. You are likely to need to clean the table if the previous guest did not. I always clean my spot, but it seems uncommon, and the attendant is too busy to keep up. The food is spread onto three surfaces on two disconnected walls. The Orange Juice is always out, and the milk just doesn’t taste right in those little boxes (sign that they are left to warm and then re-chill between servings). Soda and water are on the counter near the toaster. Since they were not entirely cold before being put out, they’re now cooked with the toaster. The television is sometimes on the “barker” channel, and there is insufficient lighting on the television side of the lounge. This is a lounge that I’ve had to sit on the floor to eat in busy times, but there was always availability of food. The lounge attendant is busy and friendly – the problem is a lack of efficiency is the problem. Adding a self-serve mini-fridge would do a lot to free this up. The fact the attendant has to restock the 1’ x 2’ drink counter area multiple times a morning with warm drinks is a sign that something is in desperate need. I am having trouble of thinking of a lounge that didn’t have a self serve fridge for the water and soda in the past.

Airport drive: Two freeways get you to the airport, I-75 and I-285. Other than rush hour, the I-75 has been the best bet. I usually take I-285 up when arriving in the evening and 75 down for a mid-day return. Note the rental car facility is hard to find using GPS, just navigate to the ATL airport as if going to the terminal and follow the signs. The new center is not convenient from the freeways. I’ve been able to consistently gas up from nearby the hotel then drop off full even with the drive.

Overall: I certainly make this my favorite hotel to visit when working in the Marietta area. It’s very convenient and walking distance from the Cumberland mall where a variety of national restaurant chains are available, and a close drive from a few others.

Room Tip: I prefer the North and east views.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Columbia SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

This hotel is a well kept property. It is comfortable and clean. The restaurants are nice but expensive (no surprise). Our first night was marred by a very wedding party that stayed up till after 5 in the morning. This was aggravated by the fact that the hotel is a very high atrium design and the noise echoed to every level. The hotel night security seemed to have little influence on the partiers. It is hard to blame the hotel for this, but they might have second thoughts about hosting a group like this again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Paducah, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

I hope this is a warning to others. I was planning to attend a convention in September in Atlanta, GA. I booked at this hotel in February earlier this year. 3 days before I was to leave for the convention, the hotel emailed me stating they could not honor my reservations, but had moved me to another of their chain hotels some miles away. This was unacceptable due to the convention being in this hotel. I called and talked to management and was told that YES, we did purposely overbook the hotel, and that YES this is Marriott company policy. I was also told I would receive a call from the hotel manager the next day. This did not happen, nor would the initial front end manager answer her phone or return any voice mails. BEWARE, a confirmation number with Marriott means nothing. I am appreciative of the early warning however, as I was able to completely cancel the trip and cut at least some of my expense losses.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel & Convention Center? Share your experiences!