“Older Hotel in Need of Updating” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Now, Save 20%
Ranked #111 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
Olathe, Kansas
“Older Hotel in Need of Updating”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

This appears to be an older Doubletree Hotel that is in need of updating. Here on business and stayed on the recommendation of our client. The hotel is conveniently located to I-85. The hotel decor is in shades of brown which gives it a dark appearance. The food in the restaurant was tasty and reasonably priced for a hotel restaurant. We did not want to head out on the town after a long day. The lounge area is not very large. The bartender was also the server; however, she was cheerful and attentive considering the large crowd in the lounge. There was a large workout area; however, three of the four treadmills were broken. It was chilly and I did not check out the pool or even note that they had one. The business center was nice with two computers and a printer. My room was once again in the browns; therefore, dark. That said, the room was comfortable and clean. There was a nice work area, in-room coffee, and a comfortable sitting chair. The room was cozy/small; however, not cramped. Overall, a pleasant stay and good experience.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the highway to reduce noise
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thaddeus H, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Atlanta/North Druid Hills, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Good Afternoon QuietmanTravels,

Thank you very much for taking the time to find us on TripAdvisor and taking the time to leave a review.

Feedback is very important to us and we take all reviews seriously. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered during your stay here with us. We understand that the hotel may have appeared a bit outdated, but we are constantly working to upgrade the hotel and make it look new again.

We do hope to see you during your next trip to Atlanta.

Thaddeus Hobson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Renton, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

We checked in late and there was guests hanging out in the lobby waiting for security to come back because there was a problem with the door to their room. The staff member checked us in and said our room out loud in front of other guest which made us feel uncomfortable. We headed up to our room and there was a dead roach and blood in the elevator. We entered the room and it smelled like bug spray. The room was not inviting. The toilet paper was hanging off the wall. We didn't even open our suitcases. We stayed about 10 minutes and decided to go to another hotel. The deadbolt was even loose on the door. I have never been is such a dirty hotel!!! We left and stayed at the W and had the experience you should have at a hotel.

• Stayed September 2012
West Palm Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

My bed sheet when I arrived had what could only be described as a brown substance on it (NO LIE!). I placed a wake up call for 6:30a.m. and i never received the phone call. Thank goodness I had my phone as a backup but this was just one of the many instances why i gave this hotel a poor rating. elevators are horrible. Their restaurant prices are extremely over priced. STAY ELSEWHERE!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thaddeus H, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Atlanta/North Druid Hills, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Firstly, let me thank you for your comments and more importantly, for taking the time to seek us out on TripAdvisorr. It always saddens me to hear such feedback as this is far from the image that we like to portray to guests like yourself. However, such feedback is also very important to us and I appreciate your comments.

I am sorry to hear that the elevator was dirty and that you did not receive your wakeup call and I can assure you that this matter has been taken care of and has been shared with the correct departments.

I do apologize that The Doubletree by Hilton North Druid Hills did not meet your expectations and sincerely hope that we will have another occasion to rectify this for you.

IIf I can be of any assistance in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me.

404.321.4174
Charlottesville, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Hotel was modernly decorated however room seemed dark to me. The lights in the bathroom, while attractive, made shadows when I was putting on my make-up. No bathmat for inside the tub. There was no on-site parking either night I stayed so I was advised where to park next door. The location is very convenient. The bed was very comfortable and shower was great. I stayed here because it had better reviews than the place I stayed last time (Extended Stay on Peachtree). I think I'll stay there next time and save a few bucks.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thaddeus H, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Atlanta/North Druid Hills, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Cathy L,

Thank you for staying at my Doubletree and for the review of the hotel.

I am glad you found the bed to be comfortable and the shower to be to your liking. I do however, apologize for the light being dim and apologize that you had issues finding a parking space. We do understand that these items are important to our guest and please be assured that we are currently working on a solution for them.

We do look forward to another chance to meet your needs on your next trip to the Atlanta area.

404.321.4174
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Visiting family nearby, this location was great, right off I-85. Free shuttle to Marta, Emory, Lenox and other locations. Lots of free parking. We found the room very comfortable and very quiet, with great air conditioning. Wifi worked well. Friendly staff. Breakfast buffet was fine and could be very quick. They also serve dinner. My personal list for a good hotel experience includes lots of in-room lighting, replacing toilet rolls, comfortable seating as well as a comfortable bed, choices of kinds of pillows, good desk with wifi, closet with lots of hangers. This place did everything well. Our floor (7) was very clean and well lit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

Ceiling is very low on 9 th floor hallway, very dark and dingy, stained carpets in room, smells like it was formerly a "smoking" floor, water stain in ceiling, wallpaper looks like its about to peel off, windows have some sort of film to keep out sun but it's all bubbled making it "hazy" looking to look out the window. What's really strange is you can open the windows, but the double windows are all messed up in the track, and there is enough dirt to grow a garden in the windowsills. Tile grout in bathroom is pretty gross. I thought I captured all the negatives and then we went to take the family to the pool and the doorknob/latch/key card system is VERY loose in the door.

PROS: convenient to 85, lobby area is average looking, outdoor pool is pretty nice, staff is friendly.

• Stayed July 2012
Thaddeus H, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Atlanta/North Druid Hills, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to find us on TripAdvisor as we appreciate any chance to improve our hotel.

I do appologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered during your stay. please know that I have shared your comments with each department involved so we may handle this as swiftly as possible.

Please feel free to contact me if you have another concerns or questions.

maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

HHonors Gold member... stay in hilton property whenever I can. I stayed at the doubletree recently when I was in town on business. checked in around midnight after horrendous day trying to fly into Atlanta. Desk clerk was polite and friendly and got me checked in quickly.
Next morning received wakeup call on time. Went to breakfast buffet to use breakfast coupon... to find out when I received a bill for $4 it was only for continental breakfast. Not too bad a deal but seemed like a bit of a scam.
Room was standard... could have used a bit of updating, but not bad.

Would stay here again.... basic, reliable, nothing fancy, but does the job.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Atlanta/North Druid Hills, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Dear GigiDev,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen the Doubletree by Hilton Atlanta-North Druid Hills for your recent stay and thank you for taking the time to seek us out on TripAdvisor.

You noted that you were required to pay $4 extra for hot breakfast as your coupons stated you had a free continental breakfast and I wanted to apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Per the Hilton Brand Standards our Gold Members receive a continental breakfast for free and once you reach our Diamond Level you receive the hot breakfast for free.

I hope to be able to welcome you back with us again on a future trip to Atlanta. Upon that visit, please let me know beforehand so I can make sure you will have a most pleasant stay.

Thaddeus Hobson

Been to Doubletree Hotel Atlanta/North Druid Hills? Share your experiences!