“Bring Comfortable Shoes” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 188 hotels in Atlanta
Alabama
“Bring Comfortable Shoes”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2007

I was here just for one night when I decided to extend my stay in Atlanta by one more day. I booked this room for $50.00 plus taxes and fees on priceline. The hotel's website was listing rates for $159 and up.

This hotel is just odd. Check-in was okay, a little bit of a wait. They had two representatives but one was on the phone assisting a guest with his internet. I get my key and she gave me directions to my room. Okay, no lie, when she was giving me the directions, all I could think was "I am NEVER going to get to my room." Well, I just about didn't. I had a suitcase that weighed about a 100lbs it seems, I had to go up stairs, down long dark hallways, and sometimes I felt like I had to hunch over because my head was about to hit the ceiling.

The room was clean, the bed was really comfortable. My room had a door that went to the outside, which is weird. The bathroom is too small for a five year old to use. Internet service 9.95 and I got a really good connection, parking was $24.00 for valet.

Overall, I don't know really what to say. It's a spooky, odd hotel.

• Liked — Right next to the interstate.
  • Disliked — Who designed this place?!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

1,428 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
Chico, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2007

Stayed on the top floor (12th) of tower 2. Room was recently remodeled, and you could see where they wallpapered over cracks in the wall. Room was average size, but the bathroom was too small for two people to use the sink simultaneously. Our room had a balcony, but it looked like the rooms on lower floors did not.

It seems that most of the floors on tower 2 are considered "club floors," and, as such, gain you access to the club lounge. There, you can have a complimentary breakfast, as well as free snacks and drinks throughout the day. The club lounge also has free internet access. There is also wireless access in the rooms, but it's $10/day.

We ate twice at Fandangles restaurant on site. The food was typical for a hotel restaurant. The service was very friendly and helpful, but also very slow.

Stayed September 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2007

Stayed here for a conference in April 07. A very mediocre hotel for being a Sheraton.
The reception and front desk staff were very courteous and helpful - no problems there.

The room i had some issues with though:
- Constant (rather loud and very annoying!) noise coming either from the venitaltion system or somewhere else (not something you could control from inside the room)
- The towels smelled as if the've been soaked in chlorine for days. Clean the were - yes, but not a pleasant smell!!
- A petty small thing, but i would expect a hotel like to this to have a light switch for ALL the lights in the room to be located by the bed - this was not the case.

Had this been a small cheap hotel somewhere in the country side, I would've been fine with this, but you expect more from the Sheraton brand

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2007

I stayed here for Dragon*Con Labor Day weekend September 2007. I had no problems with the hotel staff; they were polite and courteous. My room was a non-smoking king; I thought it was smallish for the price, and it smelled like stale smoke.

I advise anyone against staying in this hotel at this time of year. I didn't know it when I booked my room, but the Atlanta Black Gay Pride convention was being held in this hotel; the staff said that it is every year at this time. The noise was unbelievable, literally all night long. There was no getting any sleep because of the conventioners in the hallways yelling and cursing LOUDLY (several f-bombs all night), congregating in groups and talking LOUDLY amongst themselves and on their push-to-talk phones. I called the front desk and asked that they please do something about the noise, but they either couldn't or wouldn't. I checked out a full day early because of it. I booked my room through Expedia, which means I was paid in advance. I've contacted the hotel via email asking for either a refund or a voucher for another night's stay, but have heard nothing, and I doubt I will.

If you want an overpriced hotel with small rooms that smell funny, this is the place for you. The staff is the saving grace of this facility; while they did nothing about the noise level, every one I encountered was gracious and helpful. I strongly advise anyone who wants to sleep against staying here when the Black Pride convention is in the hotel.

• Liked — Friendliness and helpfulness of the staff.
  • Disliked — Staff either couldn't or wouldn't do anything about noise level from other guests.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

My family and I recently stayed 2 nights at the Sheraton Atlanta Hotel for the Dragon Con convention. I thought I had made the right choice when placing our reservations with the Sheraton as Sheraton is a trusted name. However, we were none too pleased with the cleanliness of our room. First of all, I had to call housekeeping to bring a new comforter as one of our two had a rather large stain on it (I'd rather not think about where that came from). Also, there were several unsightly stains all over the carpet, candy wrappers under the beds, and the shower curtain had a terrible odor of sour and mildew. And the walls are thin so you can hear people talking and laughing in the halls at all hours of the night. After spending almost $400 for 2 nights stay (room, sales tax, hospitality tax, and parking ((which was $18 per day)) I am disappointed in our experience with the Sheraton Atlanta Hotel and would not recommend it.

Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2007

If you plan to stay here, call and check on your reservation before you arrive, bring a printout of your confirmation numbers, and check on the specifics.

They "lost" our reservation and made us go to a PC across the lobby to look up confirmation numbers in our email and then stand in line again at the front desk. Then the front desk clerk insisted they had no smoking rooms available and none would open up. As we were finishing at the desk, we happened to overhear another guest trying to switch out of a "smelly" room, and asked another desk clerk whether we could switch to that room (assuming the smell might be our beloved tobacco smoke). The second clerk said to call in an hour because the maids were making up some smoking rooms. (By the way, this was at 6pm -- seems like a bad sign if they're still cleaning rooms so late.) Overall, our check-in took over an hour due to crowds of conventioneers and private-partiers, and we heard conflicting info from staff about availability of a smoking room.

A couple of hours later, we checked on smoking room availability again and were offered a smoking room with double beds instead of the king we reserved. (I'm a big 6'3" man and was disappointed.) We took it and moved to the new room -- via a long confusing route that brought us through a busy convention center lobby as we carried our own bags -- to find the new room less than properly made up. We had to call and ask for shampoo. Printed materials in the room like the breakfast menu and cable guide obviously had been used as coasters for wet glasses by previous guests. Sloppy! Very un-Sheraton-like. Then we noticed the noises...

It sounded like someone above us was dropping a bowling ball that bounced a couple of times. Then dropping it again and again, every 3 to 5 minutes. There also was a lot of loud partying going on in nearby rooms until after midnight. Only exhaustion allowed us to sleep. The next day, we figured out the bowling ball noise. The parking deck outside the room is showing its age. When heavy vehicles drove by, the ka-chunk ka-chunk of big wheels over old concrete reverberated through that side of the building.

The next morning, we asked again about moving to a smoking room with king bed, and the desk clerk was optimistic and told us to call back at 11am. We planned our day around being able to move to a smoking room about midday. When we called at 11 we were told to call back at about 1pm. At 1pm, we were told there was no hope of a smoking room opening up. We spent our 3 nights with feet hanging off the end of the bed and ka-chunck ka-chunk every few minutes. I think we paid an above-average price, too, for this shabby experience.

The bright point of the weekend was they allowed us a late checkout because we'd had car troubles and couldn't get the car back by checkout time. They even offered an hour later than we asked. Nice. But I won't be back again

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — Front desk staff was inconsistent
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2007

I've never felt strongly enough to post a review like this before, but I just have to let people know how truly awful this hotel is. The service was unacceptably bad. The front desk hardly ever answers the phone. My friend had his room broken into and was robbed because his door was broken and didn't close properly. Many conventions come through here and throw parties. I was rerouted by an event security guard to go around the whole hotel to get to my room late at night because the third floor was closed off and was treated very rudely. Do not stay at this hotel! It is the WORST - particularly the service.

• Liked — the bed was comfortable
  • Disliked — the service was the worst I've ever experienced
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sheraton Atlanta Hotel? Share your experiences!