“Good Hotel, Friendly Staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Cyber Monday Exclusive
Ranked #16 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
Chicago, Illinois
“Good Hotel, Friendly Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

The hotel is well-located (near many restaurants and not far from Centennial Olympic Park and other attractions), and feature all the necessities for the business traveler. The business center is top-notch, and the rooms have a comfortable work space. The deli was perfect for lunch or a late night snack, and the bar features a well-rounded beer selection including a local microbrew. Always a treat. The pool can't be missed, mostly because of how pretty it is rimmed with foliage and a retractable roof that opens on nice days/evenings. The downside about the property is that the hallways are like an echo chamber. When you add rowdy guests to that mix, it makes for an unfortunate (very rude) early morning wake-up. The staff is the standout fixture of this hotel. They are all so kind and helpful and the ultimate guest advocate when confronted with outside vendors who are not treating their guests well (e.g. The Atlanta Airport Shuttle Service, who I will never use for my return trip to the airport again). I was blown away by the support of the staff!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
dsenden, Director of Sales at Sheraton Atlanta Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! Thanks for the kind words on the hotel and the staff, we really appreciate it. Apologies that you experienced some loud guests during your stay. Whenever you are disturbed, please let us know so that we can respond and restore peaceful quiet ASAP. Thanks for sharing and safe travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Turkish first
Plover, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Attending a national conference for my profession, this was the hotel in which it was held. Downsides: Downtown Atlanta -not a 'good' neighborhood, driving in Atlanta (need I say more?), poor internet connectivity, the lobby is on floor 2 which was a bit confusing, and my room ended in 98 which meant I had to go down 3 hallways from the main elevator to reach it. The upsides: I was greeted with a smile everywhere from all staff, they were genuinely interested in what I had to say and they said they loved their jobs - it showed. The guest services kept addressing me by my roommates name (she had made the reservations) but was always helpful and pleasant. The bellboys were so patient, kind, and courteous. The housekeeping staff were quiet, cleaned the rooms well, and it looked like none of my belongings had been touched but the area was cleaned (good memories!). I had valet parking and on the day of my departure I wanted to visit Piedmont Park (I recommend that, plus the cafe "The Flying Biscuit") and they allowed me to keep my car parked there "until you come back".
This all fine and dandy, right? Exactly what you would expect of a hotel. This is where they went above and beyond:
I had 2 pictures with me, I bring them with me whenever I go on a trip: One is a picture of my father who is deceased (and the only picture I have of him~long story) and the other is of my husband. When I packed all my things away, I forgot those pictures - they were taped to the lamp between the bed so I could say g'nite to them before I went to sleep. When I finished my visit to the park - it dawned on me that my pictures were not with me. You can only imagine the emotional turmoil this caused for me. The valet, Troy, RAN back inside and had someone check the room. No pictures. I could feel my breakdown coming. If I lost those pictures...how stupid of me, etc. The head valet said he was sorry, which set me off crying. I wrote my address and phone number on a piece of paper with "Please do not say you are sorry, it will just make me cry worse", folded it so they say my request first and hung it on my window, which was only open a bit. I had driven to Atlanta from Wisconsin, visiting family on the way there and on the way home. Driving through Atlanta gave me the chance to turn my anguish into anger which felt better :) I had gotten out of Atlanta and stopped to get gas when I received a call from the hotel, it was someone named Ezekiel (sp?) who told me they had found the pictures and would I like to come back to get them or have them mailed. They were mailed to my house. I received another phone call from Brian Mellinger about the pictures - there was a miscommunication and he was not aware of the previous call. So he wanted to make sure procedures were being followed properly and asked me to call him again the next time I stopped somewhere. I did, he had found out what had happened and stated the pictures were being sent by UPS.
I want to especially thank Aaron (bellman), Adam (not sure what position, maybe valet or bellman), Ashenafi (head valet), Kyle (bellman), Johnny (head valet), and Troy (valet who had ran back inside for my pictures), Ezekiel for calling me and Brian for following up. The waiter in the restaurant, Fandango's (sp?), tall lanky man whose name is Fredrick (I think) ~ best waiter I have had in a long time, so easygoing and that smile was beautiful!
Thank you thank you thank you!

Room Tip: Rooms (up to floor 4 or 5) with odd numbers have balconies to the pool and smell heavily of chlorine...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Wow, what a great story and we are thrilled to be a part of the happy ending! Thanks very much for sharing it with us, as well as choosing our hotel for your visit to Atlanta. We'll be sure to give all the people you mentioned a well-deserved pat on the back. We would love to see you back again soon! Safe Travels!
Droitwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

The most impressive thing at the Atlanta Downtown Sheraton is really great staff -- amazingly friendly and helpful. The staff of this Sheraton are obviously well trained and well motivated. The hotel facilities are rather average, but clean, comfortable and quiet. This is not a luxury hotel, but it is fine when you are alone on a business trip.

The only negative (and rather irritating) is dead slow WIFI. This is all too common in larger hotels. One wonders, in this day and age, why they do not install a far better service -- inexpensive and greatly desirable to business travelers.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
dsenden, Director of Sales at Sheraton Atlanta Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
We appreciate your business and your kind words on the hotel. Our staff certainly makes the difference to our guests and we're happy to see you enjoyed their service. Apologies for the slow internet, that can certainly be very frustrating. We have invested significantly in our internet capabilities so we are disappointed you didn't get good speeds. Our IT team will keep an eye on it! Thanks for the feedback and hope to have you back again soon. Safe Travels.
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

This hotel was a fine base for my recent Atlanta stay, rooms were comfortable and quiet. The breakfast choice was good, not cheap but ok.
The restaurant in the evenings was pretty good and always busy and the bar friendly and offered a good choice. The staff were excellent throughout, friendly and helpful.
The only niggle for me as always was no free internet in the rooms, ok there was a hot spot area by the coffee area, but when you are working overseas and taking mails and calls at odd hours it's really important to be able to work in your room.
So come on all hotels please please stop charging for wifi.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for staying with us! It sounds like you enjoyed the hotel and the staff. Thanks for mentioning how great the staff was! We do have a charge for internet in our guest rooms, as do all major upscale hotel companies. Unlike many of those others, we offer complimentary internet throughout the lobby, restaurants and the Link @ Sheraton, where browsing and printing services are complimentary. Hope to see you back again soon and safe travels.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

This hotel did what it says on the tin. Clean, comfortable and quiet (with the exception of the bar across the road- which really wasn't a huge problem unless you are a really light sleeper).
One thing I have to point out is the amazing customer service and most notably Derrick C! What a lovely man! From where to eat and even some career advice, Derrick C was a gem to me and an asset to the Sheraton! I see he is also mentioned in other reviews. I'm not surprised- he is a genuine lovely guy. If you are reading this Derrick , it's the girl from England who writes!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
We agree! Derrick is one of the best! Thanks very much for mentioning him by name, it means a lot to our team. We'll be sure to thank him in person too! Come back across the pond again soon and stay with us again! Safe Travels
Waynesboro, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

The main reason for the great experience was because of the caring attitude of Corey Arnold, a bellman. His caring attitude and his way of being sure that all needs are met for you guests was astronomical. He is really an asset to your hotel and for the feeling of Southern Hospitality that should show in Atlanta. You should be very proud to have a person like Corey at the front door. He makes small problems - no problems.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Corey is a star on our team! We really appreciate your stay at the Sheraton as well as telling us about Corey specifically. We know our people make the difference with our guests and Corey leads the way at the bell stand. Take care and safe travels!
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I was extremely pleased with the kindness and generosity of the staff at the Sheraton on this last trip. I was there for 4-1/2 days and all staff, from housekeeping to the doorman, went above and beyond to make my stay pleasant. I do hope that you reward them, financially for their hard work, work, that more people don't want to do, or can't afford to do because of low salaries.

Room Tip: My only negative comment is that the food was entirely to high in cost.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for the nice review! We love our team too! We're thrilled you saw our passion for taking care of our guests. Come back anytime and until then, safe travels!

Been to Sheraton Atlanta Hotel? Share your experiences!