“Bait and switch - so be careful!!!” 3 of 5 stars

Join Hyatt Gold Passport®
Ranked #58 of 188 hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Las Vegas, NV
“Bait and switch - so be careful!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I booked a room at the Hyatt as part of a conference I was attending. There were over 1000 people in attendance and when signing up for the conference, we could book our room for a special "conference" price if we told them we were attending the particular conference being held there. Imagine my suprize when told parking for the hotel was $32 a night, but that parking was available down the street (having to walk past two sketch bars on the way), for $18 a night. When checking in, the person at the front desk asked what floor I wanted to be on and I told them I didn't particularly care. So she said she would put me in a "quiet room". They gave me a room on the 18th floor.The room was in a tiny corner right off the elevator so I wasn't sure how quiet that would be. Then when I walked into the room it was the smallest hotel room I had ever been in!! It consisted of a queen bed within touching distance of one wall, a small chair to the side of the bed and then the window. There was a desk at the foot of the bed and the TV was build INTO THE WALL as there was no other place for it. You could extract it from the wall so you could watch from the bed or the small chair and then retract it back into the wall because there would have been no way to walk around it. The bathroom had no door on it (because there wasn't room for a door), a small shower (no bathtub), a toilet and a tiny sink. It was though they had taken what would be a small janitor closet and made it into a "room". There was no place to put luggage except for on the bed.
I called the front desk to inquire if all the rooms were that small and was informed that was the room that was included in the price of the conference ($161/night) but I could be "upgraded" to a "normal room" for $18 more per night. I couldn't believe that every person attending the conference was being booked into these small janitor closet sized rooms. She said whe would check on a different room for me. I was moved to a "normal" room which was regular size and was quite happy there. Looking at my receipt later after checking out I discovered that they indeed charged me for an additional $18 for a full sized room. I really feel like I had been taken advantage of and I just wanted to let everyone know to beware before you book the room. Do your negotiation *before* you actually book it and let them know you don't want to be booked into the tiny janitor room.
The expenses for the trip were paid by the company but I would not stay there again. I truly feel like there is no way the 1000 people at that conference were staying in the closet rooms. A large bottle of Dasani was $5. And the hotel itself was very pretentious. Knowing what I know now, I would have booked a different hotel. Now, if one enjoys being in a "cozy" environment, this would surely satisfy that desire.

Room Tip: Beware of getting the tiny janitor closet sized room. Or you might just ask for it just to check it...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
HyattAtlanta, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thanks for staying with us while you attended a conference at the hotel. We do apologize for your unsatisfaction with your initial room accommodations and the parking situation. Our hotel hosts three separate towers, each featuring various room types to meet the traveling needs of our guests. If you desire, please do speak with our Front Desk Agents for more information about various room plans. We recently underwent a $65 million transformation, and that includes our room accommodations and amenities. We have the right answer for your needs and we want to ensure you are satisfied and comfortable during your entire stay. We do hope you will stay with us again and give our hotel another chance to show you the many reasons guests continue to return to our property. We hope to see you again.

1,164 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Fantastic hotel with superb lobby area. Rooms were all very clean and spacious and equipped with everything we needed. Location is great for exploring Atlanta with Coca Cola world and the Aquarium just round the corner. The Marta is a two minute walk from the hotel lobby through a connecting mall so the rest of Atlanta easily visited. Outdoor pool was lovely and a great bar to sit at in the evening and enjoy a local beer or cocktail in hotel lobby. Will definitely re-visit as still more exploring to do. Atlanta is a super city with friendly people.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floors are great if you want a great view.
Green Features: Hotel is very Eco friendly with its own rewards for recycling
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
HyattAtlanta, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you for all the kind words you said about our hotel, staff and especially about our lovely city of Atlanta! We are thankful you chose our hotel during your trip to Atlanta and that our amazing staff could show you what Southern hospitality is all about. As you mentioned, there are so many adventures to be held in downtown Atlanta: CNN Center, Georgia Aquarium, World of Coca-Cola, SkyView and more. The year 2014 has even more attractions planned with the College Football Hall of Fame and the National Center of Civil and Human Rights. We look forward to your revisit. See you then!
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I stayed here over Labor Day weekend for Dragon Con this year, so admittedly I paid a lot more money for a room at this hotel than what they usually go for. (Almost $50/night more, in fact.) Most of the issues I had with the Hyatt were minor and more due to the crowds that weekend than anything else (the elevators).

Generally, our room was a good size for a hotel in the downtown area of a major city (we stayed in the International tower). Beds were comfortable and climate control was pretty good. We had a balcony, but it was over the pool area so we weren't allowed to use it. I mean that as a minor complaint because the gentleman who checked me in talked up the fact that our room had a balcony but apparently didn't know (or if he knew, didn't feel like admitting) that we wouldn't be able to use it.

The Hyatt Regency has an amazing location - right on the main drag and right next to the Peachtree Center (and its food court, and the MARTA station). Knowing how much cheaper it is during time periods when there aren't major holidays or conventions happening, if I were to go back to Atlanta and need to stay downtown I would do so in a heartbeat.

I will say, though, that the restaurant downstairs in the lobby - Sway - is a bit overpriced. Not so much for the food, as the breakfast that I had was huge and delicious - but we were charged $4 for a glass of apple juice and $4 each for cups of crappy sludgy coffee. The service was pretty terrible too - I had to ask for cream for our coffee *three* times before they brought it to the table.

Not surprisingly, parking rates here are atrocious (valet only, and when we were there they were charging $32/day). You can park a couple of blocks away for nearly half the price, so I suggest looking up other parking garages before you go if you're driving into the city.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for staying with us during Dragon Con this year! This convention is always a great, exciting time in the city and especially with Hyatt Regency Atlanta as we are the headquarter hotel. You can't go wrong with booking with us! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your room accommodations and your time with us. We are centrally located in the heart of downtown with many restaurants, attractions and sights all within walking distance. As you mentioned we are neighbors to Peachtree Center Mall which includes shopping and multiple dining option in their food court. For another convenient dining experience, we love when guests venture down to our lobby to any of our three dining options: Sway, Twenty-Two Storys and the Market. You were able to enjoy Sway's breakfast and we’re glad to know you enjoyed the quality of the food. And don't even get us started on the all you can eat Pie Bar featured during our dinner hours! Next time you visit you will have to indulge! We hope to see you again for Dragon Con 2014. We look forward to seeing you again, soon!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Excellent clean hotel, with excellent staff making check-in a breeze. Rooms are very modern and clean. I was here for a two day meeting, and the cateing by the hotel for the meeting was really outstanding - none of your usual 'hotel convention food', but dishes like potato and kale soup, seafood chowder, Fall vegetable pasta, etc, steamed fish. A bonus is that it is right on the MARTA subway line, so for $3-ish, you can go to and from the airport in 20 minutes!

Room Tip: Rooms in the main tower have doors facing the atrium, and tend to get the noise from the bar at nigh...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
HyattAtlanta, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thanks for staying with us during your convention at the hotel. We appreciate your review and your shout out to our amazing catering and cooking staff. We strive to serve food that guests are dying to eat, plus food options that won't make them feel guilty when they are away from home and can easily slide off their eating schedule. And the best part? All of the ingredients are fresh and locally produced. The menu changes seasonally to ensure the best flavors are presented to our guests. We hope to see you again, soon!
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I was at the Hyatt Regency for two nights for meetings. Check in was simple and my room was quite spacious. The views from the "international" tower can be quite nice at night. My room had a comfortable king size bed, electrical outlets were plentiful, and the room came with a small refrigerator. The bathroom was fine with almost-too-strong water pressure.

I didn't take advantage of any amenities, but my meetings were in small conference rooms on the second floor. The rooms were fine, though the air conditioning was on in full force and was difficult to control. The catered food we had was quite good.

Internet could be a little faster in the guest rooms, but worked in the conference rooms and lobby quite well.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
HyattAtlanta, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thanks for staying with us! It is so wonderful to hear you enjoyed your stay and your meetings here at Hyatt Regency Atlanta. As you mentioned, we do offer spacious room accommodations with multiple amenities at your fingertips -in the room and within the lobby itself. Next time we encourage you to take advantage of our outdoor pool, 24 hour fitness center, dining outlets, Regency Club and more! We do offer catering services, and are very proud of the food options we offer to our guests. The menu has been hand-crafted by our Executive Chef to include seasonal ingredients as well as popular options and treats. Glad you enjoyed! We hope you will visit us again!
Jefferson City, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

This place was not what I thought it would be. The rooms were very compact. The carpet outside rooms were a red then faded into black closest to the room doors. This made the floors look dirty. It costs to park here also. It was $17 a night but normally it is $32. The elevators was the best part of this hotel. There was not breakfast and everything they sold here was twice or quadruple the price it would be normally. My mother and I shared the room with another mother daughter couple. The hotel staff knew there was going to be four people in this room needed four sets of towels but everyday they only would give us three sets. We had to call to get an extra set everyday. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
We apologize to hear that your experience was not up to your expectations. We train every one of our staff members to provide the utmost level of customer service and hospitality. Also, we choose many amenities and accommodating facets to fit our customer's needs, but we regret to hear you were not fully satisfied. We hope you will give our hotel another chance at proving the quality of southern hospitality and recognizing how we put the guest first. We hope to see you again.
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

It was not easy to find accommodations that were both convenient AND affordable for the weekend of Music Midtown, a popular weekend concert festival that attracts thousands to Midtown Atlanta. But, I got lucky when I found this place - not only was the lobby beautiful, it was very nice and clean, and it was perfectly situated to offer quick a quick commute to Midtown via Marta, car, or even on foot via a moderate distance. The hotel has a skybridge attached to the Marta station, though it closes at night. The walk was very short between the Marta station and the hotel itself, in a safe area of town. The onsite restaurant (Sway) had excellent breakfast options, including the buffet. The hotel bar was nice and there's even a small Market area for Starbucks coffee and snacks. We stayed in the Radius Tower, and although it's the older side of the building, it was still nice and rooms were updated. Only minor complaints: noisy AC unit and very flat pillows, although the mattress was comfortable.

Room Tip: While the hotel offers valet parking at $32/night, there is also a parking lot within a short distan...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for staying with us during the fun festivities of Music Midtown! This two day festival is a great time to visit the city as wonderful music and great bands take over the midtown area. As you mentioned we are a very convenient location to Piedmont Park. Close enough to the park for convenience, but far away enough to get some fresh air away from the hustle and bustle when desired. So glad you found us! We are connected to the MARTA transit line (which runs from the Atlanta airport to multiple Atlanta destinations --including the hotel)! We also provide three dining options for our guest: our signature restaurant Sway, the lobby bar Twenty-Two Storys and our 24/7 grab and go Market. Glad you enjoyed the Sway breakfast buffet! We hope you will continue to stay with us for next year’s Music Midtown and even for any spontaneous trips to the city. We look forward to seeing you again.

Been to Hyatt Regency Atlanta? Share your experiences!