“just OK” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
“just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

For the price charged per room this hotel leaves quite a bit to be desired. I will say that the staff was incredibly helpful and friendly even with all of the snafu's. It started with our adjoining rooms not being ready upon arrival (even though it was after the allotted check-in time). A drink credit to the bar was provided for us to use during the wait. 2 hours later we were still waiting. Finally, our rooms are ready and the bellhop takes us and our luggage up only to discover the rooms are not adjoining and no where near one another. So back downstairs to the desk we go where it takes another 1 1/2 to find adjoining, clean rooms.
The first thing I notice are the stains on the carpeting, grubby fingerprints on the doors and corners of the wall just like i find in my child's room- a general worn edge if that makes any sense. The bathroom was tiny with mold in the grout in spots and had a separate dressing area which was quite ample and well lit. As far as noise, we were around the corner from the elevator so there was foot traffic but luckily no one was too rowdy.
Overall, I would say the location is good if you need to be downtown. It was a "nice" hotel but definitely needs some love if the price is to remain that high.

Room Tip: stay away from the elevators and ice machine.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
HyattAtlanta, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We’re very sorry that your check-in and room were not up to our standards. We’re happy our staff was able to accommodate you. They do work hard each day to ensure convenient check-in and check-out for all of our guests. Please stay with us again, and let us show you our commitment to providing the best possible guest experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

Individually, many of my complaints might be petty.  But collectively, they suggest that management is asleep, and needs to actually take an interest in what's going on around the hotel.

(1) The elevator certificates displayed in the Radius Tower elevators expired in April 2012.  I'm going to assume that the elevators actually have been inspected and it's just the certificates that are out of date. But how many employees must ride these elevators every day, and have seen, said, or done nothing?  What does that say about the corporate culture of the hotel?

(2) I actually read the policies on the back of the door.  Its says no outside food/drink is allowed.  Presumably it isn't actually enforced, but this sounds like a rule I'd expect to see in a third-world hotel, not a Hyatt.  I'm an adult and don't appreciate rules that seem to think I'm a child who can't be trusted not to leave a trail of crumbs.

(3) The design of the rooms in the Radius Tower is trendy but not entirely functional.  But the real problem is the lights.  Twice, the light behind the bed and the hall light turned themselves on in the middle of the night.  I ended up removing the bulb from one of them.  And yet the floor lamp had a loose switch and was a struggle to turn on at all.  I don't like to think that a skyscraper hotel has questionable wiring.

(4) There is no automatic checkout.  One has to leave a voice mail, or visit a website, or go to the front desk.  I can't remember the last time I stayed at a hotel that didn't just slip a statement under the door early on the day of departure.  Time to join the 21st century, Hyatt - I want to just leave when I'm ready, and not jump through hoops for your amusement.

(5) One day, my room simply  wasn't cleaned.  Again, I can't remember that ever happening before even at a low-tier hotel.  (What does a Hyatt Regency purport to be?)

(6)  And I could go on.  Paper cups in the room instead of glass - how chintzy.  Mysterious loud and repeated noises from the service corridor during the conference - perhaps work should be done at other times? Etc.

Is it a bad hotel?  No.  But until it ups it's game, it doesn't deserve my - or your - patronage.

• Stayed March 2013
We're very sorry you were not satisfied with elements of your stay, and that your room wasn’t up to our standards. If you'd like to speak to someone about your stay or if you have questions for our managers about any of our operations, please feel free to call our main number and ask for our Guest Services Manager. We welcome feedback from our guests, so thank you for your comments. We do hope you'll stay with us again.
Stamford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

The hotel is nice, and the rooms are nice. My issue is that one night, at 3am until 5am I had a stranger banging on my doors and jiggling the knobs aggressively in an attempt to get into my room. I have a video that I took in my room to record how loud this was. I called security after the second incidence and they said they would check it out and nothing was done. They did not even check in on me. And so it continued until 5am. As a single woman traveling alone, I find it quite concerning that nothing was done or that nobody at the front desk would followup with my complaints. I did make sure the deadbolt was on. Otherwise, the hotel is nice, but just be careful when it gets busy. It was a busy weekend and perhaps that's why they didn't care.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HyattAtlanta, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
We're extremely sorry about your experience during your stay. The safety and security of our guests is our No. 1 priority. We have an experienced, professional security team on property 24 hours a day, and they are committed to responding to our guests’ every need. Our director of security will be contacting you to speak to you personally about your stay. If there’s anything else we can do, please reach out to our Guest Services Manager. Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention, and we hope you will stay with us again.
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

You could be staying here for numerous events like new years eve, conferences/conventions, reunions, wedding/receptions there are so many things that take place here which is why most people stay here. Its a huge hotel, built well & deigned efficiently. Greatest thing about hotel is its huge open air interior corridor. Everything else involving room is just an average good room, solid. Never had any issues in my numerous stays at this hotel -only reason i would stay here is because my event is inside of this hotel -it wasnt because room is very impressive, although probably one of the best balcony type rooms in this city. Glass elevator is fun for all ages, yea i said it -All ages. The location is perfect as far as hotels in downtown go -you can exit the hotel in any direction & there of plenty of restaurants & shopping in area. Dining inside the hotel is surprisingly good from my one time eating there. If your thinking about hotels in downtown & the tall Westin is in contention, stay here. 3.5 stars.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
HyattAtlanta, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thanks so much for your comments. We've worked really hard on our new restaurant, Sway, and our other dining options to make them places you would go, even if you weren't staying with us. And thanks for mentioning the elevators. Jim Morrison also thought they were cool! Hope you can stay with us again soon.
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

The Hyatt Regency has been recently remodeled. Rooms are spacious with great bathrooms Glass elevators are very cool (our son loved them). Check in/out was quick and went very smooth even with lots of people. Great downtown location convenient to many attractions. Parking is the only negative for this hotel .....$32 per night....ouch! However, we would still stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
HyattAtlanta, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thanks so much for your comments. We have just recently finished a $65 million transformation, so we're glad you liked it. And thx for mentioning our elevators, they have many fans -- Jim Morrison even said they were cool. Hope you can stay with us again soon.
Oregon, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband stays here often for his job and I traveled with him and stayed here for 3 nights in Feb 2013. We stayed in the main tower. We were originally booked in the Radius tower and my husband asked for a different room because the rooms are so small there.

The rooms were very comfortable. I spent all day there every day. I was working from the room while my husband was at his office. It was cozy and a great environment for getting things done. Housekeeping was gracious about my being underfoot and just swapped out our towels and toiletries so I could continue working.

We did not eat at any of the restaurants but I went to the onsite coffee shop each morning for my coffee and fruit.

The hotel is 1/2 block from the Peachtree Center Marta station, which is a 20 minute train ride from the airport...no need to rent a car. There is a pretty good food court in Peachtree Center which is attached to the hotel. This was very convenient for a quick lunch during the workday.

The downtown area was very deserted at night. I'm sure there is much more activity when the weather is warm and the sun stays out longer.

This is a very pleasant hotel and location for the downtown business traveler. It is a short walk to the CNN Center, Aquarium, Children's Museum and The World of Coke. It is one train stop away from Underground Atlanta. The proximity to attractions makes it a good choice for families as well.

The WiFi was a little tricky...had trouble connecting several times which was a little frustrating. My husband says this is not unusual and he stays at this property at least twice per month.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HyattAtlanta, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thanks so much for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay. And you're right, MARTA is a direct route to and from Atlanta's airport, so thanks for mentioning. Hope you can stay with us again soon!.
Tampa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I would consider this hotel marginal at best. The staff was very friendly, but the hotel itself is worn down. The room I stayed in was in a separate tower, and this was by far the smallest hotel room I've ever stayed in. I was alone, and I felt like I was stepping over myself. The good part was I was here for work, and didn't spend much time in that shoebox room. I had breakfast in the restaurant and it was fairly good. Overall, I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HyattAtlanta, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
We're so sorry your stay wasn't up to our standards. We want to ensure all of our guests are comfortable, so we apologize that you were not happy with your room. We do offer a variety of rooms at various sizes, so we hope you'll stay with us again and let us show you a better experience.

Been to Hyatt Regency Atlanta? Share your experiences!