“Nice, but I expected better.” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Spring Weekends
Ranked #52 of 190 Hotels in Atlanta
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Nice, but I expected better.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for a conference and the conference rooms were very nice. Lunch was very good, I would recommend the sweet potato cheesecake very highly! My room was in the radius tower on a high floor. When I opened the door and waled in, there was a very musty smell in the room. I called the front desk and they brought keys for a different room on the same floor. The new room looked exactly like the first room, but didn't smell as bad. The room was a wedge shape and pretty small, but plenty of room for a single traveler. The bathroom was small, but modern and very nice with new granite counters and white vessel sink. The stand up shower had glass doors and adequate ventilation and the lighting was very good at the mirror. Decor is modern and neutral and there was a nice sized flat screen tv on a swing arm wall mount. There was also a small desk, office chair, and armchair with ottoman, and armoire. In general, it was nice but the carpet needs cleaning (that's where the smell was) and the lampshades were stained. I would stay here again, but would request a room in the main building rather than the tower.

• Stayed February 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
Pittsburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

Summary: small, comfortable room with easy access from the airport and a nice workout area, some issues with dirt but overall a recommend.

Details: The hotel is easily accessible from the Peachtree Center stop on the Marta light rail line. This makes the hotel a fairly short trip from Atlanta Hartsfield Airport. Since I had checked in online, I was sent a check in form with a bar code. At the hotel I scanned the bar code and my credit card at an automated check in kiosk. The system failed to issue my room key and I had to get assistance from the check in desk. Despite this small problem check in was fast.

I was assigned a room in the Radius Tower, a 21 story room tower separate form the main portion of the hotel. The tower itself is cylindrical with a glass curtain wall wrapped exterior. Three elevators serve the rooms form the center of the tower, and they provided access with a minimum of wait time.

With a round cross section, it is not surprising that my room was shaped like a slice of pizza. Room entry is at the narrow end of the slice, and the wide end of the slice is the floor to ceiling glass curtain wall. Upon entering the room you are faced with a double door closet and storage unit, with hangers, drawers, safe, ironing board and iron inside. To the right is a small corridor which leads to the bed, to the right is a small bathroom with a pocket door.

The bathroom was small, but nicely appointed. It featured a glass door walk in shower, and of course a sink and toilet. Counter space was limited. The shower water pressure was lower than I prefer, but there was no shortage of hot water. With the pocket door closed it was a tight space.

As noted above, to the right of the entry area a small corridor leads to the bed area. The room had a single queen bed, a small desk area, a chair and ottoman. A flat panel TV was attached to the wall via a flexible mount, allowing it to be turned to a variety of angles. The bed was very comfortable, but the desk area was tight.

As noted the room has a full length floor to ceiling window along the bedding area. The window is well curtained, so if full window views make you queasy you should have no worries. The window are framed such that there is a metal channel at the bottom window that runs along the floor. It is a filth trap, and the one in my room was pretty nasty. However if you never open the curtain you will not see it. That is why it is probably never cleaned. Outside of that the remainder of the room was clean enough.

The room heating and air conditioning system worked well. I liked the fact that the fan can be set to stay on all of the time. That said, the fan in this room was pretty loud. That doesn't bother me, as it easily drowns out any exterior noises. Even without the fan on the room was pretty quiet.

The workout area had 8 or 10 treadmills and the same number of ellipticals. The area included weight machines, free weights, and other equipment.

My interactions with hotel staff were minimal but in all cases the employees were friendly and helpful. I did not eat in the hotel restaurants. The hotel is connected to the Peachtree Center, and there are a number of fast food type eateries within a short walk. There is an open lobby bar and a small coffee shop market in the lobby also.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights last April and had an OK experience. I have no complaints as far as the room goes, it was extremely clean and spacious. The bed/pillows were extremely comfortable and I slept comfortably both nights I was there. I did have an issue with some of the front desk staff & their behavior during my stay. Some of the staff was unprofessional and I complained to the front desk about this. I did have a manager look into this and was provided a slight credit, but later learned that a friend who had a similar situation was provided with an even larger credit than I was. Not sure if this was due to him being a male, but our experiences were the same and he received more of a hotel credit than I did. Overall, a nice hotel minus the rude staff I dealt with.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
HyattAtlanta, Front Office Manager at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We would welcome the opportunity to speak with you regarding this matter. Please check your inbox for hotel contact information.
Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

I have stayed in Hyatt Regency Atlanta for 4 nights over New Year and it was overall a great experience. When I arrived, I was greated by a friendly doormen, who also asked if I needed any help. During check-in, I asked if I could get a room with a good view, and was given the best possible room (which was almost impossible due to the timing of my stay).
The room was renovated and of a good size - no complaints about the cleanliness or quality, and the bed was GREAT :-)
All my questions and requests were answered timely and in a very professional manner -help with booking or printing tickets for Hawks game and tips for the surrounding area. The hotel is located VERY close to the MARTA station (go left around the corner from the entrance, cross one street and down the stairs) and Centennial Park, CNN and other interesting attractions are also a short walk away)
Oh, and when you there, stop by in the new S'way restaurant in the hotel lobby - the food is amazing and the staff VERY friendly and helpful

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
HyattAtlanta, Manager at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your New Years stay! We strive to make sure each and every guest is comfortable and gets assistance with all of their needs. I am glad we met your expectations and hope to have you with us again on your next visit to the states.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

Stayed here for my daughter's dance competition. It took over 2 hours and several phone calls to finally get our luggage brought to the room. When it did finally arrive, The bellman dropped everything off in the sitting area of our suite and left. Only 3 of the 5 elevators for the main tower of the 22 story hotel were working. This caused significant waiting times to get anywhere in the hotel. Staff also used these elevators, and we're as pushy as the guests about catching the lift. Room service moderately priced and good food. However out of three times we ordered, two of these orders took over 1 hour to deliver. On checkout, bellman called. We were told they were very busy, but they would put us on the list. It took over 3 hours for bellman to arrive, causing my wife to miss my daughter's award presentation. Upon going to retrieve car, I went to where the initial valet had told me. After waiting in line for half an hour was told to I needed to go another floor. Another half hour later, got car and left. I will not be going back there.

• Stayed January 2012
Cheyenne, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

My conference was conducted at this hotel, which has great resources for large conferences. I was able to ride the light rail to the Peachtree Center Station. You can then access the hotel without going outside. At this location you can readily walk to the sights of donwtown Atlanta such as the aquarium, The World of Coca Cola and CNN. The hotel has easy access to plenty of restaurants. My only gripe was access to the fitness center. I found I had to walk through the lobby, through the bar crowd and down the hallway where the folks going to and from the Peachtree Center are walking. Good fitness facilities once you are there.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
HyattAtlanta, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return.
Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

I accompanied my wife on a cosmetic conference to Atlanta, we arrived at the Hyatt Regency at 12:30 at night. The hotel lobby looked very impressive and we were looking forward to a good nights sleep, at check-in we were informed that the king size bed we had booked was not avaiable, a little disturbing since we were paying $200.00 a night for 4 nights and that was the conference rate. We figured what the heck, the lobby was impressive and it was a five star, so the rooms must be nice. The room was in one of the towers and was the size of a large bathroom in a luxury hotel, this hotel was rated 5 stars!!!! The closet was very small and full of junk, my wife had to very imaginative to fit all of our clothes in it. The front light was burnt out so we could not see very well in the entrance and the rest of the lighting was an old stand up lamp, a desk lamp and a dim light on the bed. The rug was old and worn and pulled away from the floor in places. The room was so awful my wife called down and after being on hold for 10 minutes asked if anything else was available, the reply was the hotel is full.
By now my nerves were on edge and I has a small flask of scotch in my siutcase so I pulled out only to discover that there no drinking cups, coffee cups or anything to drink out of. I phoned down to the the front desk and waited 15 minutes and nobdy answered, the message all the time saying how valuble my call was. I finally went downstairs and the front desk clerk gave me some starbucks cups she found. In the morning I had to cut them down so that they would fir into the coffee maker. The room had a card saying we care and please phone this number and leave your comments on the recorded message. Two days later we got a call from housekeeping, "sir I hear that you didn't get any coffee cups"!! Later somebody showed up at the door with a buch of dispoable cups witch we didn't need. We didn't have a single real drinking glass or coffee mug. 5 star!!!, I don't think so. My wife sent an email a week ago to the manager and we still don't even have the coutesy of a reply. This was our first stay at a Hyatt and will be our last, we will stick to hotels that care about it's guests like the Radission and the Hilton.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We hold our staff to a high standard of service and would welcome the opportunity to speak with you regarding this matter. Please check your inbox for hotel contact information.

Been to Hyatt Regency Atlanta? Share your experiences!