“I used a free night, how could I complain? :o)” 5 of 5 stars

Parking and Internet
Ranked #56 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Hickory, North Carolina
“I used a free night, how could I complain? :o)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

I used a free night that I had earned and stayed at the H.R.A. I was with my wife and 16 year old nephew. We arrived to find out that the Atrium was closed due to the ongoing renovation which I wished I would have known beforehand (more on that later).
We were given a room in the remodeled international tower and I found it to be quite nice looking. The TV, furniture and beds were well presented in the room. The sink area in the bathroom was well lit, loved the backlit mirror, the shower toilet area was a bit cramped but acceptable. There was a bit of mold in some of the shower grout but having tile walls is a pain to keep clean…or so my wife tells me! :o) The Hyatt seems to hate bathroom fans for some reason which is a pain because I enjoy the “white noise” when trying to go to sleep. The towels were rough and scratchy but I’m sure after hundreds of washings that’s what happens.
The noise from traffic on the 7th floor was a little more than I would have expected but again nothing to bothersome.
When we were checking out I mentioned that I was disappointed about the Atrium being closed because my nephew was looking forward to seeing it…first trip to Atlanta for him…the lady at the desk waived my parking fees which I thought was very nice.
Overall I was pleased with my stay, which I usually am since I stay here 4 or 5 times a year.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
Aurora, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

We stayed at the Hyatt from April 28th to May 1st and I must say, I'm wondering if we stayed at the same hotel as the previous reviewers. We were in the Atrium, 21st floor. Beautiful view, excellent bed, staff unbelievable. Yes, the hotel is under construction, yes the TV is old style, yes the rooms need to be upgraded, but seriously via Hotwire, I don't think you can do any better. We had no issues with noise and kept our balcony doors open all the time (maybe the downtown noise blocked the hotel noise). The MARTA is right next door, just about everything you want to do in Atlanta is within walking distance. Make sure to hit AtlanTIX in Underground Atlanta for half-price tickets to attractions and shows. Above all, do the off-site parking. It's $15 per day.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up in the Atrium.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Brunswick Georgia, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

I made reservations for two night over the internet (3/18-19) The hotel was close to the location I was doing business at and not that hard to find. I brought my family (wife and son) along so they could visit our daughter who attends Georgia State University, also located close to the hotel.

While checking in I was told the lobby was under construction, no problem. They failed to to tell us that the hotel was infested with thousands of high school aged future businessmen of America, more like the future Bernie Madoff's of America, had taken over the hotel. After checking in to the small and dated room we started to notice the slamming doors, loud music and running on the floor. I had just driven 5 hours after working for a standard eight hours, my wife (who is the Director of Security for a Resort) had just worked a full day.

I proceeded to go down stairs to the desk and informed them my two (no refund) reservation was going to be cancelled. I wasn't the nicest and I will admit the kid at the front desk was nice. He called somebody who said i would have to pay for the second night anyways. I informed the kid to get a manager and he went to a back room and after a few minutes he came back and said we didn't have to pay. A girl who was also working said its always like this, and they would have to put a big disclaimer on their webs sites home page if they had to tell everyone about the noise.

It wasn't until after two in the morning before everyone went to sleep. I guess the screaming "wave", out the windows, between the girls and boys tired them out. Needless to say it was impossible to sleep well or get any service at the hotel that night or the next morning. If its too much trouble telling families that the hotel is filled with screaming kids before they make a reservation then they would never get my business again. The trip was ruined for both myself and family.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
HyattAtlanta, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this review, April 29, 2011
Good Morning Mike,

We're disappointed to hear about your recent experience here at Hyatt Regency Atlanta. We are indeed a convention hotel and have programs of all shapes and sizes This does not excuse the act of any patron here and we go through great lengths to ensure that all of our guests experience superb service. We will address these issues with staff. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to you staying here with us again here at Hyatt.

Best,

Miami
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

I spend 100 nights per year in hotels rooms and I'm familiar with Atlanta hotels. My review is honest with consideration given to thier current remodeling and a discounted price...

The Good Stuff:
Location to downtown activities and the Merchandise Mart is excellent.
All emplyees I encountered were friendly and totally professional.
Check in was painless and fast.
My 15th floor "Atrium Tower" corner room was spacious, had wonderful views and suprisingly quiet.
Room was clean, smelled nice and had quality bedding/pillows.
Food/drink quality was just average for breakfast and room service.

Areas Lacking:
No explanation of contruction/renovation was given at check-in. Restaurants/bars were closed; place smelled like paint thinner.
Room was old. Furniture worn and stained. Curtains stained with brown marks. Lamp shades stained and dented. Marks/stains on walls and drop ceiling panels.
Old tube style TV's that didn't work well.
Small, old, ugly bathroom. sink/counter mounted way too low???
Towels are thin and scratchy; need to be thrown out...
My "suite" was missing all amenities that make a suite: no bathrobes, no slippers, no mini bar, no fridge, no wet bar, no dry bar, no makeup mirror, no additional toiletries, nothing...
One small closet with no light; way too dark to see what you're doing.
Hotel elevator banks are dark and worn. Call buttons don't allways work.
Friday night @ 10:00; no bellman or anyone manning the vale desk???

For the Hyatt to have let its self get so run down I really dought thier ability to turn it around. Based on Hyatt's behind the times thinking, lack of guest room and property standards; I'm afraid any renovation will be short lived...

Downtown/Midtown Atlanta offers many good choices and is competitive in regards to full service hotels. If you get a great rate online ($80.00) and don't mind a 3 star experiance, the hyatt is fine. Expect anything else and you may be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
HyattAtlanta, Manager at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this review, April 29, 2011
Good Afternoon Bowman,

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. I apologize that you felt our current transformation was not communicated well upon check-in. We try to be as transparent and effective with all guests staying here while we're making such drastic improvements. We understand you stayed in the Atrium Tower and will be happy to know that those guestrooms will be completely transformed and redesigned by December 2011 as well. We would like to investigate the matter closely. If you would, contact us at your earliest convenience so we may take further action. It’s nice to hear that you received excellent customer service as well as the downtown Atlanta experience. We hope that your stay does not deter you from revisiting Hyatt Regency Atlanta in the near future.

James Mas, Executive Housekeeper
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

I stayed here for a business trip. Downtown Atlanta is pretty much dead so I would not recommend staying here for anything other than business. I stayed in a tower away from the main atrium and I thought it was very nice. The room has obviously been re-done with new carpeting, new flat screen TV, nice desk, sitting furniture. No real view to speak of. No noise. Bathroom was very nice. I thought this was a great place to stay for my business trip. The bar was not my favorite but there are so few establishments open that it was okay for a quick drink. We had great food provided by the Hyatt for our meetings, I was quite surprised at that.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Stockton, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

My wife was attending a conference in December and my daughters and I accompanied her and saw the sights while she was in meetings. I stayed at the Hyatt several years ago and remembered the stay fondly. To be fair, the hotel was undergoing an extensive remodeling while we were there, so we were detoured around the hotel to get to various rooms, including a detour through the kitchen to get to the exercise room.

Check in was pretty confusing. Lot's of individual desks to check you in, but no queue, so everyone is just standing around trying to work their way to the desk. On check out day they finally set up a queue, but that first day was somewhat unorganized.

The room is a bit on the smallish side. It was comfortable enough, though one nice touch that I remember from my previous stay was the turn down service and chocolates on the bed...gone.

Food service is quite limited. We arrived somewhat late the first day. The only food service available was in the bar with a limited menu. The restaurant was pretty overpriced and we ended up having breakfasts next door at the mall where there were several choices.

I imagine that the construction by now is complete and there are more straightforward ways to get around the hotel. Our stay was nice...nothing to brag about. Maybe that's why it took me 4 months to actually get around to writing a review. But, I really do miss those chocolates!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Good Morning Switlinabc,

We appreciate your feedback and happy to hear you enjoyed a lot of aspects of Hyatt Regency Atlanta. We are under transformation, and you will be happy to know it set to be complete by December 2011. As limited food options served as an issue for you, this transformation brings in three additional food outlets. I apologize about your front desk experience. Our new front desk pods were designed to create a more intimate check-in experience for our guests but, we will look into your challenges to see if we can implement new practices. We certainly hope this does not deter you from staying with us and we look forward to you staying with us again at Hyatt Regency Atlanta.

Best,

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

For the price, go someplace else. This hotel is in the process of renovations...wait until they are complete to stay here.

The size of the room was comfortable, and I had a colleague as a roommate, but the condition of everything was just worn out.

There were staff members everywhere, but they all just seemed to mill around. The ones that had a job to do; housekeepers, front desk, bell hops, concierge, servers...those folks busted their butts. But management (or appeared to be management) seemed to just be wondering around all over the hotel and conference center areas; never said hello...most were too occupied with their smart phones to even smile at you in passing.

The conference center was nice...considering. But my advice to anyone is stay at the Hilton or Marriott and walk. You don't even have to go outside to cross over to the Marriott Marquis...and it was amazing. Another colleague stayed there and I saw the room, and found out the price...and I was pissed at myself for not looking at the other properties by the Hyatt.

Room Tip: Tip - go someplace else....
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
PickyTraveler,

We appreciate your feedback regarding this matter and will certainly use your story as a training tool for the staff to ensure these types of actions don't happen again. I assure you, these are not common Hyatt Regency Atlanta practices and are below our standard level of service. It is good to hear that you enjoyed our conference and hard work and dedication our associates put into our hotel. We value your comments and hope you will consider us again for your next stay.

Richard Walter, Director of Rooms

Been to Hyatt Regency Atlanta? Share your experiences!