“a lovely honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 188 hotels in Atlanta
augusta ga
“a lovely honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

Me and my husband arrive on may 6 2011 we had just drove from sc where we got married upon our arrival we cheack right in the front desk was so nice to us we couldnt believe it they greeted us with a smile . I would like to thank mysti and kym for the wine and cheese and grapes all the good stuff that comes with it me and my husband had a wonderful stay at the hilton garden inn agaian thanks for making our honeymoon a weekend to remember may god bless each and every one of you.

Room Tip: very quite
Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
HGIPerimeterGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Atlanta Perimeter Center, responded to this review, June 3, 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am so happy to hear that Mysti and Kymber heard your were just married and sent a congratulatory wine and cheese amenity and are very proud of the service they continually provide. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Sincerely, Todd Neuenschwander

382 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

I've heard of travelers deliberately writing negative or vengeful reviews against hotels on some of the sites but I have never seen it w/a hotel I'm so familiar with. I've stayed in this hotel 7- 10 days out of each month since the first of the year. As a business traveler, this hotel is great. No surprises, clean and well maintained, and conveniently located to some of the best restaurants and shopping ATL has to offer. The food is much better than decent, the staff friendly, courteous and professional. This is not a resort or a 5 star hotel. No sweeping panoramic views (unless you count looking down on the perimeter traffic). Nonethless I see lots of families, family reunions, kids sporting teams, etc., in the hotel, especially as it gets closer to the weekend. That lets me know that the HG continues to provide great value and service to both the business and leisure traveler. And who could complain about that??

Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
HGIPerimeterGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Atlanta Perimeter Center, responded to this review, May 11, 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are honored to serve you week after week and would like to thank you for all the kind comment toward our staff and food quality. All of our associates are truly amazing individuals and genuinely care about people. I am glad that they shined through. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Sincerely, Todd Neuenschwander
Birmingham, AL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

after much research, finally decided on this HGI because 1. it was one of very few ATL properties that had NO reports on the bedbug websites, and 2. got a very very good rate. considering the mixed reviews, i decided to hope & pray for the best.
There was nothing wrong with this place...nothing at all. The bedspreads...paintings on the walls? I dont know and dont care what year they were designed. Room was very neutral in design, NOT obviously "outdated". The "up the hill walk to the parking lot"? was right on the property and the grade no more strenuous than the stairs in my home. (for anyone who disagrees, there are several parking spaces by the front door for loading/unloading.)
I fond the customer service attitude of these folks so exceptional, i filled out comment cards on three of them...and i never, ever think to do that. They were prompt, friendly, and patient, and extremely informative. from front desk to shuttle driver to food service to engineering/maintenance, the standard of customer service at this property was over the top...one of the best i have seen in years.
My bed WAS very comfortable...even with an adjustable select system in the mattress. It WAS clean. We had more than enough towels. There were EXTRA coffee filter packs which was nice because i often like to make more than one pot in the room.
Upon entering my room, there was the nice handwritten note, and fruit/cheese/cracker snack; cold bottled water in frig, etc.
There was free shuttle service to anywhere within 3 miles of the hotel. So nice for going out at night.
If having an other than highway view is important, ask for a room on south side of building, but, the entire hotel was quiet; highway noise not an issue at all.
The fitness gym was VERY small, but equipment IS sufficient. while there, one of the treadmills went blink, but a staff member was there to reset and fix it within 5 or 10 minutes. This gym is too small for more than 3 people at once, but that wasn't an issue on this trip. With that being the ONLY "almost problem", considering i paid less than $60 pn for this hotel, I will DEFINITELY return.
In fact Id say the same if I had paid $100 because of the service.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Dear bhlkin,

I would like to thank you for booking your reservation at our hotel. I was nice to hear the kind comments you had about our staff, especially the shuttle driver. We are very proud of the service we provide and I believe that is evident by your comments.

I agree, our hotel is neutral and has minimal decor changes in the last twelve years. Although, we have added 37" high definition televisions, state of the art Garden Sleep Center beds and a great Internet infrastructure. We also assure the small items are right where you need them.

Again, thank you for the kind comments and I look forward to serving you in the future.

Todd Neuenschwander - general manager
Saint Inigoes, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

Great for shopping and going to the airport. Beds are very uncomfortable though. When we checked in the desk agent was on the phone for 20 minutes before she acknowledged we were there.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

Upon returning from dinner, I asked my friend if she’d like to have a drink with me in the hotel lobby. As we entered the bar area, we noticed that the NBA playoff game was on and that the bartender was watching it. He didn’t greet us, nor did he offer a menu when we sat, instead we asked for one. We selected two royal flushes to drink and he asked us for ID. I pulled out my GA ID, while my friend pulled out hers. Granted, my ID was an old GA ID and it was water-damaged, so I expected he may have a problem with it, so upon seeing that he was very hesitant and took a long time contemplating IDs (he’d even murmured something about how he couldn’t ‘accept this’ and that the documentation seemed altered), I told him that I live outside the US and that I have my work visa and US passport, so I went to get it in order to relieve his doubt. However, when I returned to show him further documentation, I realized that he had turned away my friend also for the reason that “a license does expire in eight years” so he couldn’t accept it. Learning that this bartender had staunchly refused us on grounds that we were somehow holders of fake IDs, made us feel embarrassed, affronted and understandably uncomfortable. He didn’t really look at my passport and it was as if he just decided on whatever secretive evidence/knowledge he’d surmised of us that we were akin to criminals. Truly, that is what it felt like!
There were three other clients in the bar area who had watched this incident and we immediately went to reception to relay this strange ordeal. The woman in reception seemed flustered about handling it and informed us that the manager was around and would be there shortly. After waiting, shortly, my friend, noticeably upset, decided to leave. She and I were in utter disbelief that this had actually happened.
I am 34 years old. I am a traveler and have lived outside the country for some time, yet never have I been treated this poorly. I won’t try to expel all of the possibilities to explain what went wrong in this situation. The fact is, this situation should never have happen this way.
I spoke to the manager on call, Mr. Lipford, and he apologized profusely, offered me drinks (which was moot because my friend already left and I felt ill with anger and embarrassment; he also offered complimentary breakfast for the two of us. Yet, honestly all I could see was the bartender Jerry, still watching his NBA game and still not having apologized for his rude and unreasonable behavior toward us; he was present witnessing his manager’s placation and supplication with seemingly no worry at all and a definite arrogance. I wish I could say that free food and drinks could solve a problem, but ethically what would have solved it is Jerry being decent and apologizing to my friend and myself, for I would like to add that Mr. Lipford did show Jerry that the new Georgia licenses could indeed expire in eight years, so Jerry the bartender was wrong.

For the most part, the staff at this hotel seemed nice and accommodating, but in this incident none seemed to know what to do. Mr. Lipford also saw my identification as well and understood immediately that it was authentic and more than enough.
This incident left a bad taste in my mouth and I felt it only right to express my discontent with service NOT GIVEN by one of thehotel’s employees whose mind was clearly out in the game.
BTW the shuttle is only good for dropping off but not picking up...

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure discussing your dissatisfaction about our bar policy and shuttle van service. Once again, I apologize about Jerry's inability to recognize a new Georgia Drivers License and the inconvenience you encountered during this event.

As I explained, our hotel, staff and bartenders are trained in Ultimate Service and Alcohol Awareness to provide the best experience for every guest. As part of that training, we have decided to follow the companies recommendations and ask for valid proof of identification for all guests that appear under the age of 35 years old.

I was happy to learn that Bruce Lipford, the hotel's assistant general manager used his Ultimate Service training by apologizing for the inconvenience, listening to your comments and offering a complimentary beverage to assure you were happy. It was my understanding, after we spoke, is that you were satisfied with this outcome.

As you are aware, our professional service staff were retrained on the common types of identifications and when proof of age is requested in the future, I am confident that Jerry and the Hilton Garden Inn Atlanta Perimeter Center service team will quickly recognize Georgia's and surrounding state immediately.

Todd Neuenschwander - General Manager
NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

Overview: lack of cleanliness, old & outdated (adds to lack of cleanliness), worried about bugs....didn't find any traces though. Nice staff.

Stayed at this Hilton GI and was disappointed in the age of the property. The staff is very good, very pleasant and attentive. Cleanliness was just OK – passable, but not up to HGI standards. Location is great. Noise level did not bother me, seemed OK. Room heat/air unit NEVER shuts off though, even if you press the OFF button on the wall controller….that was more noise than the highway outside!

I had a 1st floor room, which may be one issue as they usually update higher floors first. Even with the need for an overhaul, it was about comparable to a Hampton Inn. As with most hotels, my biggest complaints are pretty much across the board…..behind beds, under beds, baseboards, vents, light switches & windowsills just go overlooked and end up equating to that ‘old’ feel and need of a good sanitizing! I did look EVERYWHERE for bed bugs (I am paranoid about these as I travel a LOT) and saw no traces...I did see a dead critter or two behind the bed, but not bed bugs.

The hot tub was WAY over chlorinated on my stay, I mean like triple the amount normal. I got in & my eyes started to sting. The first night I didn’t get in as it was cold….like the pool. Thank goodness as it seemed to smell like a lot of chlorine & I guess I sort of got luck getting in on the 2nd day….my suit totally changed color! I did alert the front desk, they were very nice, and they asked me to call and speak to the Mgr later when he got in….well, I don’t have time to do that kind of stuff. I just chocked it up to experience and vowed to check the water more closely next time, and thank heavens I did not put my hair in the water!!

All in all, I think the Hampton Inn not too far away on Hammond Drive was even a bit nicer than this HGI.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
HGIPerimeterGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Atlanta Perimeter Center, responded to this review, April 4, 2011
Dear Hodels,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. We are very proud of our staff member and appreciate you recognizing there friendliness.

We are addressing the issue you mentioned about the first floor guest room air conditioning unit. We have reviewed our pool and spa chemical logs and our pool specialist and chemical monitor company have assured us the system continues to dispense the correct amount of chlorine at the scheduled times.

I apologize our hotel decor appears to be old and you felt the property needs a good sanitizing. We do take cleanliness very serious and we do change all bed linen, bathroom furniture surfaces are sanitized after each guest. Combine this with an extensive quarterly deep clean schedule including a black light inspection to every guest room and I am proud to say these standards have kept out hotel free of any pests for years.

When you return to Atlanta, we hope to have the opportunity to deliver a stellar experience. If you would like to discuss this further or have additional feedback, please reach out to me. Thank you!

Todd Neuenschwander, General Manager
(404) 504-0422
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

One of my family favorite hotel to stay at is the Hilton Hotel downtown atlanta it is so awesome. That's why we could not believe that this "Inn" was a Hilton. Yes the sign said Hilton but the rooms said " Sleep tight and pray that the bed bugs would not bite!" Itching and scratching. It was useless to resort to taking a shower or bath because the floor in the bathroom was so grimy. The pillows was dated and stinky with a sweaty smell. And talk about out dated coffee mugs that just maybe my great great grandmother might have loved. Come on this is the Hilton "Cream of The Crop" I know everyone is blaming the economy these days but the Hilton rates could at least get 2 nice coffee mugs or better yet just leave the paper cups out. I hope this encourage management to look over and think about what is the most important key to continue to have a successful business.........Happy Customers!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Dear Plumplum,

Thanks you for sharing your experience with us. We understand how you might draw a conclusion about our hotel cleanliness based on the current decoration package.

I assure you, hotel cleanliness is one of our top concern and we have a detail plan to completely clean and sanitize all bed linens, guest room furniture, and all bathroom surfaces after every guest. We also have a monthly and quarterly guest room deep cleaning program that focuses on all aspects of the guest room cleanliness and is verified with a final black-light inspection to assure all surfaces are sanitary. These cleanliness standards combined with the industry top pest prevention company bi-annually inspecting and servicing every guest room has had our hotel pest free for many years.

We understand that our hotel does not have some modern decorations, however, we do have new 37" high definition televisions in every guest room, state of the art Garden Sleep Center beds, comfortable guest room furnishings and a modern lobby including a full service lounge.

Todd Neuenschwander, General Manager
(404) 504-0422

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Atlanta Perimeter Center? Share your experiences!