“Perfect!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Highland Inn

You added The Highland Inn to your Saves list
The Highland Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   644 N Highland Ave, Atlanta, GA 30306 (Poncey-Highland)   |
Ranked #87 of 190 Hotels in Atlanta
Atlanta, Georgia
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I stayed here for a couple nights for a job interview and I absolutely loved it. When I found out there was no hostel in Atlanta, I chose to stay here because it's relatively cheap compared to hotels in the area. It's old and funky which makes it that much better. My room was cute and I didn't want to leave! It was huge and had a lot of windows and a full closet. Even though my room faced a busy street, I slept peacefully all night. The hotel is in a great part of Atlanta, too, with pubs, restaurants, cafes, Atlanta Cupcake Factory, CrossFit, and even an independent movie theater all within walking distance. And only 3 miles from the North Avenue MARTA station. It is also about a 10-minute walk to the new BeltLine which is a new 22-mile biking/running path that goes through the city. Perfect if you want to get a little exercise and see some of the city. Literally the ONLY downside is that the shower took a while to get hot and the temperature fluctuated a bit while showering (first world problems, right?). Breakfast was simple, but perfect. They had bagels, coffee, juice, cream cheese, cereal, fruit, etc. The staff was great and gave me great advice on cheap places to eat nearby. I would definitely stay here again and I HIGHLY recommend it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
HighlandInn, Manager at The Highland Inn, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
We are so glad you love our hotel! Thanks so much for the excellent review. We really appreciate your kind words and will be sure to pass along your compliments to our staff! It would be our pleasure to welcome you back next time you are in the area!

Best wishes,

The Highland Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Franklin, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I was really excited to stay here - I loved avoiding the chain hotels for a cute, old-school inn. While it was cute, and the architecture was pretty... It looked more like any old building in a run-down part of town. The floors hadn't been vacuumed well, and we found several dead bugs (including a ladybug IN the bed!) It was a very cold night, and there was a major draft from the windows, as well. The shower is connected to all of the other rooms, so when someone in a different room flushes their toilet, the water in our shower became scalding hot! We could EASILY hear ALL noises from other rooms near us (and above and below us, as well). While I'm sure I would have enjoyed it more if we could have gone out and enjoyed the neighborhood, it was insanely cold, and we never got a chance to really get out much. I think we'll come back and enjoy the area again, but probably not staying at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
HighlandInn, Manager at The Highland Inn, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We welcome all constructive criticism, as it helps us improve. Our building is older and does have some quirks, however, I sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations.

As far as the cleanliness of the hotel is concerned, it is rare that we receive anything other than positive remarks about our housekeeping. Clearly we were not performing to our usual standards, and for that I apologize.

Bradenton, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

interesting old building in the five points area. lots of restaurants and shops within walking distance and just about everything else within a short drive. the staff is super helpful and nice. this was our second time staying and enjoyed it more than the first (the first time we had a noisy radiator heater that kept me awake, only complaint). my wife and i like older buildings w/ character and mom and pop type places rather than chains. my daughter would love an indoor swimming pool but you can't have everything (since we're paying she doesn't get a say).

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for visiting us again and for sharing your review on TripAdvisor! We are pleased to hear that you noticed the improvements we made to the heating system. Guest feedback was what made it possible. Please come back and see us soon!

Montague
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

This is a very reasonably priced small inn that keeps the character of its neighborhood. The location is fabulous. A great coffee/wine shop, the oldest tavern in Atlanta, and a wonderful restaurant are all within very close walking distance. This is also close to the Jimmy Carter museum and many other walkable restaurants and attractions. The hotel is comfortable, but not fancy. My room was extremely clean, especially given the age of the hotel. The bedding was very comfortable and the towels were plentiful and great! The decor is faded, but again, that keeps to the historical character. A table and chairs can be used for eating or for working, and a small refrigerator was included. I had no problems with hot water. I did need to turn on the heat when I arrived, but I appreciate that the hotel is not heating rooms while vacant. This is good stewardship. The check out staff was very helpful and patient. I also was very pleased that my son could bring his dog to his room at, again, a very reasonable pet fee. My family just moved to this area. This will be my go to place in Atlanta. Please note that I often review very high end hotels. I assess a hotel according to how they present the property to the public. Again, I find this to be an extremely good value and will recommend it to other family and friends.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your lovely review of our hotel and neighborhood! We appreciate you mentioning the cleanliness of your room, our housekeeping staff work so hard to make sure of it. I will share your kind words with the entire staff. We hope you will return again in the near future!

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

This place was such a great price compared to other accommodations around Atlanta and I wasn't entirely sure because of the mixed reviews it has received. Sure, the building is old which means creaky floors, some chipped walls and thin walls....very thin walls. But it's cool! I can sometimes be a light sleeper so I just had my ear plugs incase my neighbour had the tv on loud at odd hours. You have to expect a building that was built in the 20's to have some of these downsides but it's totally worth it for the price and location. It's walking distance to Little Five Points and has a cool bar/restaurant on one side and a very tasty Vegan Soul Food restaurant on the other. Just a block down are some shops, more restaurants and the Plaza Theatre which is an awesome Independent Cinema that I watched an old samurai movie at. Pretty close cab ride to the iconic Clermont Lounge! After visiting the downtown area I'm so glad that I stayed at the Highland Inn in this wonderful part of town.

Room Tip: Pretty sure there is no elevator so if you have a lot of luggage, ground floor would be preferable.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
HighlandInn, Manager at The Highland Inn, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Wow! Thanks for your wonderful review of our inn and for sharing it with other potential guests! It's always nice to hear when a guest has been able to venture out and take in all of the wonderful things our neighborhood has to offer. We hope to welcome you back again in the near future!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

The hotel was built in 1927, so expect wear and tear on the building, squeaky floors, and dents here and there. Personally, I like the character of the Inn and enjoyed my stay. Room and bathroom are clean. The Inn has the atmosphere of a hostel. I'd stay there again next time I'm in town.

Room Tip: I made my reservation through hotels.com and it was on special.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
The highest compliment we can be paid is your promise to return! We greatly appreciate this great review and you sharing your experience on the TripAdvisor website! We hope you will return for a visit soon!

Maryville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I was kind of Leary at first. But after staying there a few nights we loved it. So different. There were a couple things that happened that made me think it is haunted. The only complaint was the hot water. It would be fine one minute and then be scolding hot. We went to the cafe next door and they were so friendly. Went there every day. Staff was very nice. Thought the cable wasn't working and they sent up a maintenance man within mins. Ended up our goof up. :) will def visit again!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2013
Wow! Thanks so much for your 5-star review! We are so happy that you decided to stay with us and that you enjoyed your stay. Also, thank you for mentioning our wonderful staff, I will be sure to share your kinds words with the whole team.

I will definitely speak to maintenance in regards to the fluctuation in water temperature to see what can be done to resolve the issue. Glad we were able to get the cable fixed right away for you! We hope you will be back again soon!!

The Highland Inn

Been to The Highland Inn? Share your experiences!