“A Great Piece of History” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Highland Inn

You added The Highland Inn to your Saves list
The Highland Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   644 N Highland Ave, Atlanta, GA 30306 (Poncey-Highland)   |
Ranked #87 of 190 Hotels in Atlanta
Calgary
“A Great Piece of History”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

We selected The Highland Inn based upon the tripadvisor rating (4.1 of 5.0). What a great place. I had been a bit concerned about ample parking but that turned out not to be a problem. The staff was friendly and helpful ... came up to our room to adjust the TV; recommended places to eat & drink; even used her GPS to map out a route to nearest Macy's.

The room was a bit small but nicely furnished. Love how housekeeping placed the pillows on the bed each morning. What a great location. You could (if you choose) take public transit downtown. Walk to The Carter Center. Highly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Mobile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

If you look forward to room and valet services and everything that makes every other hotel as identical and forgettable as the one the night before then this is not the place for you. But if you are coming to Atlanta and interested in observing Atlanta as it would appear from the window of a local in the neighborhood - in it's natural and actual state rather than what's been gleaned from pamphlets and promotions - the Highland Inn will pass the litmus test.
A very old hotel with many returning guests, myself included, and the first choice among stage, booking, and bar managers to accommodate the variety of entertainers featured at their respective venues. And "pet friendly" doesn't imply dogs only. Their very own "house cat" is sometimes known to wait patiently and politely outside a cat occupied room hopeful for a play date. Their "Jack" was quite the well mannered host to my bored adolescent feline traveling companion.
If you've flown in and without ground transportation, I can't think of a more convenient spot to land. Everything you might need or seek is within a short walk and most have late night hours. Its really hard to be content to hole up in your room when you find yourself in this neighborhood. But I suppose the flip side of that thought is that if you are blowing through the city for any sort of hurried, intensely regimented training-type activity where your day is pre-planned and equipped with surveillance cameras and check points, you'll probably want to stick closer to your function to avoid the temptation.
I would change my own itinerary if I found them booked for during any of my planned visits.

Room Tip: If you are an unadventurous light sleeper, seek out the back side of the hotel; there's a ballro...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

We spent two nights there last week. It's a pretty old building, but it's still nice. The staffs are friendly and helpful. Our first night there was freezing cold although we switched on a portable heater, it seemed like the central heating system was not on. After we told the staff, the heat was turned on and our second night was much better. Free continental breakfast was provided in a very small dining room. There is a small library/lounge which has very comfy couch and wooden rocking chair where you can hang out with family/friends. In short, I think it's a good old hotel in Atlanta, offered at a reasonable price ($55+ for a double room).

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Lavonia, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Highland last week. Location was our primary concern, and you couldn't ask for better! Right in the middle of all the action of Poncey-Highlands, Little Five Points, Inman Park. We walked around in the afternoon and everything is available by foot from the front doors.
This is an old inn, built in 1927. It doesn't pretend to be otherwise, and it doesn't try to fool you. If you read about it beforehand, you shouldn't be surprised. Our room was small, had an en-suite bath, radiator heating and a small window A/C unit. The bed was comfortable, there was Wi-Fi available throughout, a nice little continental breakfast. We didn't book here looking for luxury, but had a comfortable night, the location we needed for the activities we had planned, and enjoyed the eccentricities of being in an older building instead of a bland, generic more modern hotel.

Room Tip: If you need a quite room, ask for it.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Fort Mill, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

The hotel seemed older than dirt. The floors are lumpy. The doors don't latch properly. The abundance of overly-obvious surveillance cameras at the front desk didn't exactly make me feel safe. The beds were noisy and uncomfortable. The furniture was dirty and broken -- looked like a cat had scratched up the chair. The bathroom sink is actually in the room with the beds -- had no light over it. Old-style radiators that click and hiss all night long. The shower was either scorchingly hot or cold -- had to stand to the side and shower by splashing water onto myself. The restaurant downstairs played music beyond 11:00 pm and I had to be moved. Overall, I'd say this place is a dump. I was afraid the place was going to come down on top of us at any minute. They try to bill this place as a European-style hotel, but I hope the hotels in Europe are nicer than this. I payed $120 for a double room. The Double Tree is a short drive away and was only $89 for a double room -- much cleaner and more modern.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel if you want a good night's sleep.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
HighlandInn, Manager at The Highland Inn, responded to this review, December 5, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Although our building may be older (built in 1927) with many quirks, I can assure you that the structure is sound and that there is no reason anyone staying at the inn should feel unsafe. As for the cameras, most hotels install them for the safety of hotel guests not to make guests feel unsafe and we apologize if they made you feel otherwise.

Our pricing is in line with other hotels in our area and we feel that we offer competitive pricing given our location. It is our intention to disclose to guests that we are centrally located in a lively neighborhood, our building is older which does come with its quirks and that we are by no means a modern facility.

All of that aside, we are truly sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and that we were unable to meet your expectations. It is our goal to make every guest happy even though it is not always possible.
Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

Realizing at the last minute that the office secretary didn't book my stay at a downtown conference correctly leaving without a place to stay after flying in, I jumped on the travel sites looking for a place to stay. My conditions were that it be cheap and downtown. Well, that does not exist. I found The Highland Inn at a rate of $42, checked the reviews on TripAdvisor and booked it through Expedia.com.
Arriving at Atlanta, I eventually found the Taxi Stand at the far (right as you're looking out) end of the baggage claim area and told the driver the address. We got a little lost and I was educated by the taxi that "we know the names" of hotels, not addresses. I quick call to the front desk had us on our way. As we drove in, the community appeared very clean and 'hipster' with lots of single story art shops, stores, restaurants and taverns. I was getting happy already.
Upon arrival, the front door was propped open and there were lots of patrons at the next door restaurant's patio area drinking wine and having a good time. The desk clerk was polite and efficient. After getting my key, she directed me to use the stairs behind me to get to my room. As I climbed the stairs, my first thoughts were 'wow - this place has no elevator and is OLD. Walking through the hallways, I crossed the path of a black cat who didn't blink an eye. One room I passed you could hear a TV blaring which made me worried that I might have a loud neighbor, and this is an old hotel with likely not great insulation. But I did not, so it was an issue.
The rooms are very small and the bathroom and shower even smaller. Not as small as a cruise ships, but pretty close. The was a small window unit for A/C and an original looking radiator for heat. The weather was perfect on my trip, but I used the window unit for white noise. There was a nice flat screen HDTV mounted to the wall, but I could never find a remote. There was no clock radio, but really uses clock radios anymore?
Anyway, the long short of it is that this an almost 100 year old hotel with few amenities, but I found it very clean and cozy. I walked down the street a few blocks to a pub and had some great Jamaican jerk chicken and speciality draft beers. It was a smoking permitted tavern, but there was good ventilation. They played great music and had ESPN on nice HDTVs. The service was great and the locals were comprised of YUPPIES and probably some college students. I walked back to my room and found traffic light and locals out walking their dogs or jogging.
Had a decent night's rest on a twin sized bed. Sheets and bed comfort were very average. It reminded me of staying at grandma's as a kid. Small kinda hard bed with sheets a bit on the roughy side. No big deal.
In the morning, there was a very basic breakfast set out. Think what you likely do at you house. Rolls, cereal and OJ. I horked down a little bit of everything.
Check out was uneventful. I asked for a receipt and was told my Expedia email would be my receipt. My work place requires a traditional receipt, so I had to print out the billing from my credit card website. They called me a cab at my request, and off I went on a 6 mile taxi ride for $10. Buses frequented this area, but I had not time to engage in bus travel.
I gave this a very good rating over a good because of the price I got plus the great locality. I think the regular room rate was close to $100. and I would have likely felt a little jilted for that price. But all in all a neat old hotel in a great area of Atlanta, and for me a great price. I was left feeling like I had a cool new adventure that I would not have had staying at the Motel 6 off the Internet.

Room Tip: Back of hotel with courtyard view I'm assuming would be preferred. There is a ballroom on the bo...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Athens, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

My wife and I stayed in the Highland Inn when I had a doctor's appointment at Emory. I read the reviews beforehand, so I requested a "quiet" room. We were in room 310, and it was absolutely dead quiet at all times. We didn't hear a sound except for a quiet hum from a vent just outside one of the windows. And, we had a delightful stay. There was a small glitch in our reservation that was fixed immediately. The room was clean and comfortable. Now, if you want brand new stuff, this isn't for you. The hotel was built in the 1920s. There is some discolored grout in the shower. It's not dirty, just discolored in a few spots. All in all, it was a fun experience in a delightful corner of Atlanta. I'll report more when we return for surgery.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Highland Inn? Share your experiences!