“poor excuse at Hotel Indigo” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #84 of 190 Hotels in Atlanta
north carolina
“poor excuse at Hotel Indigo”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2008

I travel by car, 5.5 hrs., to Atlanta on business three times a year.
During my time in Atlanta I experience long intense workdays and thought I would treat myself by trying a boutique hotel downtown. I booked the room through their website and arrived to find that I had to park my own car, which I have no problem doing, if the parking was free or reasonable, but for $18 a day I had to self park in a multi level parking deck and walk down to the hotel at night. They also do not have a bellman, so I had to wrangle with a luggage cart and haul my luggage up to my room. I look forward to ordering room service my first night as I just want to relax after the drive , I ordered and received a baked chicken breast , barely warmed veges hard and crunchy, not lightly steamed, simply not cooked. Also no seasoning , plastic cutlery all in a plastic to go container for the price of $14. The room was very small but cozy enough with strange floor to ceiling wallpaper of large blueberries. The bed was very comfortable. The walls are paper thin as well as thin cheap windows. Definitely not quiet. This hotel is a redecorated Days Inn so it makes sense that it wasn't built to the standards of a better property.
The staff was friendly and helpful.
My second night there, I felt ill and realized the next morning after being up all night that I had the flu. I decided to drive home, since I new it would only get worse, so they were kind enough to send someone up to get my luggage and bring my car down. The problem came at checkout, they said that they could not refund the two nights that I would not be staying. I gave a note to the desk manager to give to the hotel manger, Gabrielle Webster, asking her understanding . The desk manager Eddie, who was very nice, said he would explain to her how sick I was. Here I am at a supposedly, very upscale boutique hotel , and having to ask for a refund when it would be given as a matter of course at any other hotel of any level. The desk clerk said Gabrielle would call the next day, she didn't. I called on Tuesday and was told by Eddie, that she said "people miss planes,get sick, its bad luck, but we are not refunding the rooms. " They said this was because I paid in advance on their website, which is where you are led to when making reservations., and that is the reason I am not being refunded. I told them they could subtract any discount I received from my refund and was told no. The difference was $8 a day! I have traveled for years and this is by far the poorest excuse for customer service from management that I have ever seen. Needless to say I do not recommend this hotel. Stay at the Georgian Terrace next door.

• Liked — the bed
  • Disliked — the management
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
WebsterG, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Atlanta, responded to this review, January 31, 2008
I would like to first of all thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on the Trip Advisor website. We appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention.

We have many different rates and packages available at our hotel. We offer a “a best flexible rate” for those traveler’s who need flexibility in their plans; with this rate you may cancel up until 24 hours prior to arrival and depart earlier, if needed. We also offer many packages: Breakfast Rate - including a breakfast for 2 each morning, the Indulge Package – including dessert and Starbucks coffee for 2 in the evening, or the Interlude Package – including a bottle of sparkling wine. For the more value conscious consumer, we have an Advanced Purchase rate. As is stipulated at the time of booking, a deposit for the entire stay is due at the time of booking, and the stay is then non-cancelable and non-refundable. This allows for people with firm plans to take advantage of discounted rate for their guaranteed stay.

Our property was originally built as the Cox Carlton hotel in 1923. While it was previously a Days Inn, we opened in October 2004 as InterContinental Hotels Group’s first boutique hotel after a complete renovation. We have been placed on the Historic Register since then. Following opening, we have replaced all windows on the Peachtree Street side of the hotel with double glazed windows to minimize noise.

I would also like to thank you for your comments regarding our staff. We take delight in going the extra mile for our guests and offering Inspired Service.

Thanks once again for your comments.

Hotel Indigo Atlanta Midtown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Different Day / Different City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2008

I spend 240+ nights a year in hotels. The Hotel Indigo in Atlanta is great for me for many reasons. There is a lot of smiling going on at this hotel. The staff is extremely friendly and it seems that they always try to personalize each person's visit. The Fox Theatre is right across the street and it's not uncommon to see lots of theatre people in the hotel. Grab a glass of wine, sit out front and you're watching midtown Atlanta parade up and down Peachtree street. Comfy bed...great ambiance...reminds me of lots of hotels I've stayed in in Europe. Cool hotel!

Stayed December 2007
San Francisco, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2008

I stayed at the Indigo during a busy convention; consequently I paid near $350 a night with taxes. This was the smallest, most cramped, overpriced room I've stayed in (including NYC and major European cities!).
Main sleeping area was 11x8ft, 2 full (? not queen beds) crammed in there. Obviously you can't sleep 2 persons to a bed or have more than 2 adults in the room (I had requested a king but hotel was fully booked). The closet was located at the foot of one bed, but too small to unpack/store my carry-on bag; there are no drawers due to space constraints in the room. There was a TV at the foot of the other bed, but the room was so small it could only be viewed lying in that bed (which was used for placing clothes and by the coffee-making tray). A desk lies between the foot of 2 beds, the WiFi worked, but obviously you have to stand to utilise it.

The bathroom was INCREDIBLY small (7x5ft), the deep sink has no adjoining counter space or shelf for toileteries, or even a glass for even a toothbrush. Persons of height or size will be squished against the counter using the WC. The shower stall abutts both!

On the bright side the room furnishings are bright and cheerful, the front staff are friendly

• Liked — Bright furnishings
  • Disliked — Unbelievably cramped
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
WebsterG, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Atlanta, responded to this review, February 1, 2008
Thank you for providing feedback on the Trip Advisor website. It helps us to improve on our Inspired Service.

Our property was originally built as the Cox Carlton hotel in 1923. As we are a historic property and have been placed on the Historic Register, we have done all we can to keep the history of the property while maximizing space for our guests. Our rooms are cozy, with an entire area of 20x12, and sleeping area of 15x12. We have added small touches to maximize this space. In our double-bedded rooms, the TV is contained in an armoire at the foot of one bed; however, the TV set does rest on a sliding cabinet, and can be pulled out to be viewed from anywhere in the room. The wardrobe also contains a luggage rack which can be removed and placed elsewhere in the room for storing one’s belongings. There is a desk in all rooms, with chair, where one can rest and work on the complimentary wired internet access, or come down to beautiful open lobby and worked on the complimentary wireless access.

We also realize space is limited in our bathrooms. They have an area of 5x5. While there is no room in the bathroom for counter space, we have made accommodations just outside the bathroom with a glass covered side table and large mirror in the entry. This is used by many of our guest to house their toiletries, and for getting ready in the morning. While the bathrooms are lacking in size, we made the decision to not have any bathtubs on the property, and replace them with wonderful glass enclosed showers.

Thanks also for your comments about our staff and their friendliness.

San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2008

After a pleasant stay at the Indigo in Chicago, I eagerly looked forward to my stay here in Atlanta. The hotel did not disappoint. Great service and decor is the name of this boutique brand. It's no Four Seasons but that isn't the point. Words to describe an experience at Indigo may include: charming, cute, friendly, and hip. Dog friendly too!

• Liked — A hotel with personality
  • Disliked — Girls at hotel cafe were a bit slow and clueless...nice just the same
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for providing feedback on the Trip Advisor website.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at both our property and our sister property in Chicago. As an all-inclusive lifestyle brand, we are glad to welcome the entire family, including pets to our hotel. We even have a room package available known as the “Ruff Life” dog package. It includes a dog bed and dog bowl with treats for the pet, and a copy of Fido Friendly magazine and lint roller for the pet owner.

We also can not wait until the summer months for the return of our weekly Canine Cocktail hour.

Thanks for your comments.

Washington, Ga
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2007

The staff here were very friendly. The bed was VERY comfortable. The only things I didn't like were that the bathroom was tiny and did not have a bathtub, the parking was $18 and there was no breakfast included. Let me say that this hotel is part of the Intercontinental Hotel chain...so there are many other hotels in Atlanta you can stay in that have much larger rooms, have a bathtub, have breakfast included and have free parking. But let me say again that the staff were very nice and the bed was great! And they allow pets!

• Liked — The bed.
  • Disliked — The microscopic bathroom.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2007

Hotel Indigo is located in the heart of Midtown, across the street from Fox Theater and within walking distance to several restaurants. I'm sure that would be great for a weekend trip or vacation to see the sights of Atlanta, but it made for an incredibly noisy business trip for me. I stayed for 3 nights during the week, and each night was filled with noises from the street of people screaming and having a grand time. Be sure you get a room on one of the highest floors. Do not stay on a lower floor - you will hear all the noises from the street level. If you end up on the 2nd floor, do not stay across from the fitness center or you will be awoken early in the morning to the buzzing of the machines and television. This hotel is an older piece of property that has been beautifully renovated, but unfortunately the walls are still super thin. In addition, the bathrooms are really small and lacking any vanity space. Finally, there are only 2 elevators so you end up waiting on it during peak times.

Setting that aside, the rooms were clean and well-kept. There is a cafe in the lobby, which you can order room service. Once I found something they had in stock (they were out of the first 3 things I tried to order), it turned out to be a good experience. They also have a complimentary shuttle, which I took advantage of the last morning. All in all, an okay stay but if I decide to come back, I'll also be sure its for pleasure and not business!

• Liked — Ambiance
  • Disliked — Location across the street from Fox Theater
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
St. Pete, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2007

We went to Atlanta for a long weekend getaway and had a great time at Hotel Indigo! It is centrally located in downtown, walking distance to just about everywhere and only a block from the Marta station if you wish to travel farther (not on foot.)

Our room, like the entire hotel, was colorful and vibrant. The rooms are small, but the utilization of space it done well. The bathrooms, while tiny, are lovely and well-appointed.

All the staff we met were friendly and helpful, even running batteries up for our remote at 11PM! Overall, it was a great experience and I would definitely opt to stay there again!

• Liked — Even though they allow pets, you never heard them or smelled them in the hallways.
  • Disliked — The bathroom ensuite are really tiny, which doesn't allow for much privacy.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Indigo Atlanta? Share your experiences!