“Need to improve on the details” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Get Artsy at the Artmore
Ranked #12 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
Milledgeville, Georgia
“Need to improve on the details”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at the Artmore Hotel (Room 310) for 2 nights during Memorial Day weekend. I normally stay at a Hilton Garden, but decided to splurge on something a bit different. Factoring in applicable taxes, fees, and parking, our room ended up being approximately $150 a night. I do not consider myself to be a spoiled, high maintenance person, but I do feel that if one is going to charge a certain rate for a hotel room, then the room should reflect this. While all the employees we encountered were extremely nice and helpful and the location is great, there seemed to be a general lack of attention to details:

1) A Keurig coffee maker but no complimentary coffee. I had to pay $2 per serving in order to have coffee in the morning. While the Artmore does indeed offer complimentary coffee, one needs to go into the lobby to get it. When I get up, I like to read in bed with coffee, as well as have some when I am getting ready. I have never not had complimentary coffee in my room.
2) The "closet" area was a recessed area covered by a very cheap-looking curtain that was very difficult to open and close, and trying to hang up my clothes on the awkward hangers required the skills of a puppeteer. The shelf was a grungy, plastic, wire model. If you are going to be the type of hotel that charges $2 for in-room coffee, then you cannot have a closet set-up such as this.
3) The bathroom was tiny with very little space for toiletries. As the only mirrors were in the bathroom, I ended up up having to go back and forth from one room to the next to get ready as there was barely room on the sink for much more than a toothbrush. Additionally, there was no exhaust fan.
4) Shabby paint and wallpaper. This is a shame because the main elements of the room - furniture, carpet, and artwork -- are quite tasteful. However, the wallpaper was peeling noticeably in several places, and the paint, especially in and around the bathroom, looked as if a team of inebriated sixth graders applied it.
5) The television reception was spotty at best.
6) The wireless connection was spotty at best.
7) The items in the welcome packet were worn, some were misprinted, and some of the information was out of date.
8) The bed linens and comforter were stiff, and I felt as if I was sleeping in an oven mitt.
9) The stairwell seemed filthy, with sticky stairs and a stale scent.
10) The food that we ordered from room service was average.

Again, I do not think that I am high maintenance (I am happy with my 1990 Volvo and 3-year old Macbook), but I do feel that a hotel needs to offer things to reflect its rates. I think that the Artmore has many great things going for it (again, location and very friendly staff), but really needs to focus on the details in order to be a truly great hotel.

Room Tip: Go to the Hilton Garden instead.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
gmartmorehotel, General Manager at Artmore Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2011
Dear KateZucker,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this review, and for staying with us at the Artmore. While the majority of our guests leave us as fans of the Artmore, we clearly did not make enough of an effort to impress you while you were with us. Although we love to hear positive feedback, comments such as yours that offer constructive criticism are really more valuable, as they will help us improve. Some of the the things you have mentioned we are actually working on. We are in the process of changing all of the closet shelving to a better looking wood shelf. We are also installing a hook so guests can easily tie back the curtain when it doesn't slide easily. I am sorry that you experienced these imperfections. I would love the chance to make it up to you. Please contact me so I can make it right. Thanks again.

Michael Halpner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

We stayed at Artmore Hotel for 2nights, our last 2 of our long holiday travelling around Tennessee, and flying back home from Atlanta. We was so impressed by the hotel, it was very confortable and clean, our only complaint was that it was noisy on the front of the hotel in our room, the rooms need double/triple glazing to block out the noise - the beds and room was very comfy. The rooms have very soft towels, good shower, Ipod docker , TV, fridge freezer and mini bar. The location is opposite the MARTA station which is so easy and cheap to use. Would definately stay at the Artmore again when in Atlanta.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
Dear mrsmoobob,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this review. I am so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us, and that you chose to stay with us in the first place! I am pleased to share with you that we are in the process of replacing our windows. We started in the courtyard, and we will be replacing the front windows sometime in the near future. If you come back before then, rooms on the back of the building tend to be the quiter ones. Thanks again, and please come back soon.

Shreveport, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

Decided to stay at the Artmore because a friend of mine said LETS TRY IT... what a GREAT move.... Reservations was the best I have had the pleasure of dealing with. The bar staff at the studio bar were amazing...(thx Dana), just an overall GREAT time for the 6 days I was there.... will def be returing to this hotel.

Room Tip: Be nice and courteous...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Dear ShreveporterLA,

I am so glad your friend said "Let's try it", and you did! I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed yourself, and that you had had a great experience even before you arrived by receiving excellent service from Katie, our reservation supervisor. I will be sure to share this with her, Dana at the bar, and the rest of our team. Thanks again, and please hurry back!

Safe travels,

OHIO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

We stayed in a corner executive king. I think that rooms in this hotel are of drastically different sizes, so be aware of that. The bathroom was particularly small.

However, the hotel was well-located, the staff was nice, and we were treated well. Valet parking was convenient. The hotel had a great atmosphere and is away from the strip of hotels in Midtown, which makes it substantially less busy and more welcoming. We would probably stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Dear Ms28,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this review. I am so glad that you chose the Artmore, and that you had a good experience with us. Since this used to be an apartment house, you are correct that we have rooms that vary in size from that of a normal hotel room, up to a two bedroom suite with two levels! The Artmore is not your typical hotel, and I am glad that you noticed. We would love to have you back the next time you are in Atlanta. Thanks again.

Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

Stayed at this hotel because the MARTA Subway System was right across the street. Come to find out the Artmore Hotel is a hidden gem. From the super staff, the unbeleiveable room I was given, to the comforts of both the outside and inside lounging areas. This will be the only place I stay now when traveling to Atlanta. Thanks again Katie!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Just be yourself if you would like an upgrade!
Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Dear Ricky8156,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this review! Thanks to guests like you, we will stop being a "Hidden" Gem!"...I am so glad that you had a great experience with us, and that you had great things to say about Katie as well. I look forward to sharing your feed back with Katie, and the rest of the team.

Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Artmore on the night of May 20th, and it was a great experience! We came to ATL to see a show at Center Stage, which is why I chose the Artmore (they're right next door to the venue). The location is fantastic; there are tons of restaurants in the area, and the High art museum is a 5-minute walk from the hotel. The room was clean, spacious and very comfortable, and every staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful. We arrived earlier than the check-in time, and we were allowed to check in early; checkout time is 12, which was awesome because it allowed us to visit the museum before we had to leave. A few things stopped me from giving the Artmore a perfect rating (although they are very minor). The next time we stay, we will request a room not facing the courtyard because it became very noisy and kept us up for a while. The other thing is that their "breakfast buffet" is $10; seriously, it is nothing more than the continental breakfast you see at any Days Inn or budget motel. Also, I've never stayed at a hotel before that doesn't offer complimentary coffee or tea; they have the stuff to make it with in the rooms, but you'll have to pay about $3 a pop. But other than the minor things I've mentioned, the Artmore is fantastic and we will definitely stay here again!

Dear StilLaura,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this review. I am so glad that you chose to stay with us, and that you had a positive experience. I am sorry you found the courtyard room to be a little noisy. Next time, we would certainly place you in a room on the back of the building, which is quieter. In regards to the breakfast, we are confident that we offer more than what you would find at a limited service hotel. We offer fresh scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage, grits, biscuits with gravy, fruits and yogurts, cereals, and a selection of fresh baked goods from the French American Bakery, who provides some of the finest restaurants in Atlanta with baked goods. We also offer complimentary coffee in the lobby every morning. We look forward to welcoming you back. I would be happy to make your arrangements personally.

nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

we booked 2 rooms- a king for my wife and i and a second room with 2 doubles for my two sisters. when we arrived, - they only had kings left.

a manager came out to talk- my sisters took a king for one night- they were moved to a room with 2 doubles the next day . the hotel gave us free breakfast, free parking and some free drink coupons for our troubles.

our king room was very large. the king bed was comfortable. the a/c worked very well. the shower pressure was fine .the hotel was clean.

valet would have been $18/nt and breakfast would have been $10/per person per night.

outdoor courtyard was fun for drinks at night- our room faced the back so we did not hear any noise.

very friendly staff. location is ok- atlanta is not a walking city anyway so we had to drive everywhere- it would have been the same regardless of where we stayed.

great price- around $100/nt/room.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Dear z235e49,
Thanks so much for taking the time to write this review. I apologize that you had some trouble with the room types upon arrival for your two rooms, but I am glad it all got sorted out, and that you ultimately had a very good experience with us. I look forward to sharing this with the team. Thanks again!

Michael Halpner

Been to Artmore Hotel? Share your experiences!