“Needs renovation but was clean and functional” 3 of 5 stars

Free Parking
Ranked #87 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Austin, Texas
“Needs renovation but was clean and functional”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was surprised by how outdated and worn this Marriott was, especially for nearly $200/night. My room was booked by a company I was visiting, but if I had chosen this and paid the price, I would have been very unhappy. The room and hallways were very dated and uninviting, but it was very clean. The paint on the bathroom ceiling was puckering and peeling due to poor ventilation and seemingly years of hot showers. The shower did have great hot water and amazing water pressure, which made for a nice shower but sent water everywhere including on the ceiling.

The beds were the standard Marriott beds (best I could tell) and that's a good thing because they were very comfortable.

Since a clean and a comfortable bed are my main goals in a business hotel, this sufficed but did not seem a good value at all. I could hear my neighbors TV quite loudly, but I sleep soundly and he turned it off early. The remote control on my TV did not work at all. I took this as a sign that I should actually prepare for my meeting, so I did not request a new one and worked instead.

A member of the house keeping staff was very nice. I exited my room while she was working at her cart just outside of my door, and when I realized (just as my door closed) that I didn't have my key, she opened it for me. She definitely saw me leave the room (she was about 2 feet away), so this was entirely safe and saved me a hassle later, so I think it was nice service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Frank Q, General Manager at Atlanta Marriott Northwest at Galleria, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us. I'm glad you found our staff friendly and accomodating. We are due..(overdue) for a renovation and it is in the plan for this year. I hope you will give us a try in the future and with an updated facility and my team of people, I'm sure you will find the value you expect when staying at a Marriott. Thank you again for your feedback.

Be safe in your travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Dated......, that is the word of the day for this Marriott. The lobby and ballroom area are more recently updated, but the room was very dated. When we opened the door, the first thing that struck us was the stale odor of the room itself. Luckily for me, my wife, an avid traveler, whipped out her air freshener and commenced to spraying the whole area that we were to occupy over the next 12 hours. There was no microwave, which I have become accustomed to having in rooms of hotels of this caliber. The bathroom was just adequate, with hot water thank goodness, and a nice vanity. It lacked space though, not really big enough for the both of us to use at the same time(I'm only 200 lbs, and my wife is a size 5 @ 123 lbs). Unfortunately for us, the spa and pool were temporarily closed for repair at the time of our visit. I won't blame the Marriott for that one and just chalk it up to bad timing. The beds were comfortable, with nice linens. Although old, I will say the property inside and out was clean and well kept. The onsite restaurant and bar were unmemorable. We will not be staying at the Atlanta Marriott Northwest at Galleria in the future though, the Hyatt Regency Suites are just around the corner, and for 30 dollars more, is in a whole different galaxy when it comes to feeling as though you are opulent traveler.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We have a planned renovation for this year and it will address all the areas that you have mentioned. Our pool will be back on line this month, sorry about the timing. I hope you will give us another chance on a future visit, I'm sure once our renovations are complete and my team has the chance, you will certianly feel our true hospitality. If you are in the area please stop in and introduce yourself as I hope to get the chance to change your impression of us.

chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

One night stay at Marriott Northwest Atlanta. Booked via HotelTonight.

Price was only barely okay given the poor condition of the room. Most definitely not up to Marriott standards - way overdue for renovations given the rusted grill on HVAC unit, splintered bathroom door from water damage, tub caulking in poor condition and serious dust issues around headboard by box spring discovered when looking for outlet to charge phone. Lots of eeeewwww factors. Fortunately only a one night stay but definitely disappointing.

• Stayed March 2013
Frank Q, General Manager at Atlanta Marriott Northwest at Galleria, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank You for taking a moment to provide us your feedback. I'm sorry that we fell short of your expectations on your recent visit. We do have renovations planned for this year to upgrade our hotel. I hope yoiu will give us a try in the future and please reach out to me personally on a return visit and I will make sure we make up for the impressions during this visit.

Thank you again for your feedback and be safe in your travels.
Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

My aslumni association recently held our annual scholarship brunch at this hotel. From the time I met Ms. Jennelle Evans I knew that our event was in good hands. She made us feel like vip guest every step of the way. From the banquest entire banquet staff that were professional and friendly to the housekeeping staff, i would like to extend a huge thank you. every need was addressed. our rooms were great and all of our guest were pleased. Thanks again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your feedback. I will personally "Thank" Jenelle, our Banquet, and housekeeping teams for the exceptional customer service they delivered to you and your alunmi group. Jennelle is one of our true superstars and we are lucky to have her on our team. THe staff here make my job easy for the most part. Thank you once again for taking a moment to pass on your experience with us.

Walworth, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed there for the night on our way to Florida. We got the room for a reasonable price, and we were not disappointed. We were located on the back side so the room was nice and quiet. Very clean rooms, and our bed was comfortable. Would stay there again if the price is right.

Room Tip: Rooms in back are very quiet and peaceful.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Frank Q, General Manager at Atlanta Marriott Northwest at Galleria, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your brief stay with us on your way to Florida. I hope we see you on the way back home!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

If your looking for a place to enjoy and feel good while sleeping this not it. Or even a place to relax this is Not it. If you are looking for a booty call spot this is it. The mattresses are severely bad and need to be up graded and the colors in the rooms are tacky as well. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone that is of human nature. Residence Inn by Marriott is the bomb diggity and their staff is the best. It's time to either change the name from Marriott to Motel or spend some money and decorate this place with some class and upgrade your mattresses. Some people have to come to hotels for business purposes if I have to wake up in the morning from here I would never make it I would be going to the chiropractic instead.

• Stayed March 2013
I am very sorry to hear that your stay was less than you expected. We are scheduled for a renovation later this year and I hope you will give us a try in the future. I would like to gather some more details from you about your room, date you stayed, etc. as we generally get exceptional feedback about our beds. I would like to check your room specifically to see if it is an issue with the specific bed. I apologize again for your disappointment and we appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Cortlandt Manor
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Usual Marriott clean rooms and most comfortable beds. Oversize chair with lamp is nice room amenity for reading.

Several times, the staff was most responsive. Staff is friendly, and better than the hotel itself.

This hotel is tired and should have been renovated years ago. Reminded me more of a Days Inn than a typical Marriott property. Was the Marriott inspector an ex-World Wrestling referee?

Heating and AC is ancient and noisy. Heat in my room wasn’t working, so had to change my room which was no problem.

Had several meals in the Fire Iron Grille and Bar. Generous portions and overall good value for a hotel. But how hard can a good Caesar Salad be? It was awful—ruined and overdressed by someone who doesn’t know how to dress a salad.

Tip: negotiate a rate that includes breakfast and Wi-Fi for better overall value.

Tip II: Allow extra time when calling for a taxis.

Room Tip: Ask if a renovated room is available.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Frank Q, General Manager at Atlanta Marriott Northwest at Galleria, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank You for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We do have renovations planned for this year so I hope you will visit us again for a comparison. Thank you for your comments about our team. I am very fortunate to have such a great group here. I will speak to the Chef about the Caesar Salad, that is one of our best movers and usually well received. Look me up if you return and I'll treat you to one that is made properly.

Be safe in your travels!

Been to Atlanta Marriott Northwest at Galleria? Share your experiences!