“Convenient, serviceable, and safe” 3 of 5 stars

The University Inn at Emory
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   1767 N. Decatur Rd, Atlanta, GA 30307   |
Ranked #14 of 29 Atlanta B&B and Inns
Huntsville, AL
“Convenient, serviceable, and safe”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

I was only at The Inn a couple of nights on a weekend conference stay. My impression is that there are a number of buildings and levels of accommodation within the inn. I was staying in a rather dated and sparsely furnished room but it was clean and fine for my needs, although I was a little surprised when I first entered. The lavatory, space for hanging clothes, ironing board, microwave, and mini-fridge were all in one open space between the bedroom and the separate tub and toilet.

The location is great. The inn is across the street from Emory and in a very established and secure feeling neighborhood. There were good options for food and drink close by, some within walking distance. The staff was friendly and helpful with directions and other requests. I realized that this was one of my most enjoyable trips to Atlanta and realized that part of that was because I never had to go into midtown.

My schedule was busy with my conference so I was unable to take much advantage of the various amenities like afternoon drinks, etc. The continental breakfast was as expected and the little dining area was pleasant.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
new york city
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

We stayed at this hotel while visiting Emory. Some of the rooms are being renovated. We asked ahead of time for a renovated room, which in retrospect was a good idea. Great location near Emory. Parking is right outside the rooms which is good for luggage. We arrived late, the office was locked but someone came within a couple of minutes to check us in. If you plan on getting there late, call ahead to make sure you can get in. The staff was really warm and helpful. Even though the property was fully booked, they accommodated our late check out request with a cheerful YES.

Room Tip: Call ahead, ask for a renovated room. Also call if you are arriving late to make sure you can get in...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Having labelled the Inn "a dump" on Tripadvisor in November 2012, I was contacted by the manager who was most cordial and asked us to visit again. I am happy to report that this visit in February 2014 found the room immaculate, all lights worked and ample toilet paper available. One must keep in mind that this is a college inn and the prices are very reasonable. One should not expect the Hyatt when visiting.

Sleep quality was rated average because the Inn is located near 3 hospitals and one occasionally hears sirens. The beds are firm which pleased my husband. The location is directly across the street from Emory which is a definite benefit for us.

That being said, the staff continues to be friendly and helpful. The continental breakfast more than adequate and the evening chocolate chip cookies still earn an A+ from my husband.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Stromness, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I arrived in the dark and had to find my way to the room (which was a basement style room) with its own front door and a small window, and was situated a good bit away from the Main Reception. I had a friend with me BUT if I had been alone I would not have liked this!. The room smelt musty and there were a couple of 'bug' things that the vacuum had missed. However, although the room could have done with a few touches to make it more homely - it was fine for my visit. It was a budget room! I did mention the smell and floor and next day and it was given a really good clean and I got an apology. I found the Inn a lovely homely place to be - the staff were very friendly and I felt really safe. The surroundings were lovely and I enjoyed my little walk to the breakfast room in the morning past squirrels racing up the trees! The breakfast was a basic DIY continental but I loved it. There were things that would improve the basic room I had with a sofa bed but I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to people. Excellent location. It would take much for me to have given this accommodation an excellent rating.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Shiku, Guest Relations Manager at The University Inn at Emory, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank you for your review. I remember you and glad that you generally were happy with the Inn. I know that you had the worst room in the Guest House. I'm sorry that that was all we had to offer during your stay. You noted that you were budget conscious which drove the choice to that room. I hope next time we can offer something more suitable. Thank you for allowing us to serve you.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Our room was rather spacious and quiet. We requested a room away from stairs, ice machines, elevators (didn't see an elevator - don't know if they even have one) and they were able to do that for us, so that was helpful.

There were two comfortable wing chairs, a desk and two chairs with that. Beds were so-so. Bath linens were fluffy but not soft. The microwave was located on top of the refrigerator and they were in the area by the lav (which was a little odd). No table nearby them.

The rooms have direct access to the outside - so not much 'security'. We didn't use the pool (closed for winter), or the washer and dryer - which is outside and kind of in the stairway. The complimentary breakfast was typical, but the room seemed small - maybe because it is located in the 'house' part of the Inn and 'cozily' seats about 20 people.

This hotel is a little outdated - which to me made it 'seem' dirty. We chose it, and would choose it again, mainly because it was not too far from family we were visiting.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and thank you for allowing us to serve you. I wanted to let you know that we are planning renovations in the near future, so hopefully when you visit again, we can offer something more updated. Your opinion matters to us.
Perry, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate this hotel a 10. Service is excellent and it is very clean. I have never stayed at anyplace and felt so at home as I did here. I loved the fact that it is in walking distance of the Emory hospital too. My Husband was a patient there for almost 30 days. I really felt safe and comfortable there. They have a great continental breakfast and have a happy hour in the afternoon so you can unwind after a day of sitting in the hospital. I actually felt sad leaving this morning, but I've already got reservations for my Husbands next trip to Emory. Looking forward to seeing the University Inn Staff.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
We very much enjoyed having you. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit and hope all is going well.
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Nice location and excellent quality for the price. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. We had a wonderful time staying here with our son; the crib was in the room upon arrival and if we needed anything, the staff was always eager to help. Highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your wonderful review! We are glad you chose us for your visit to Atlanta. It is most important to us that we service our guests well. We hope to serve you again on your next visit.

Been to The University Inn at Emory? Share your experiences!