“Great hotel, nice amenities, hot water issues?” 4 of 5 stars

10% off room rate
Ranked #42 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
OHIO
“Great hotel, nice amenities, hot water issues?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

This was a great hotel, but I can't give it five stars due to the issues mentioned in the previous post related to the hot water; specifically, there wasn't any in the morning. This was sort of a problem considering I was there for an important professional conference. I didn't bother to complain about it because I was pretty sure that other people were doing it for me, so what's the point in ruining someone's morning over something they can't seem to fix?

I would knock the hotel more because of this problem, but I had friends staying at both the Sheraton and the Hyatt who had similar water problems, so I don't know how much control the Ellis had about this problem. Plus, I got this hotel at a conference rate which was roughly half the list price. I'm not sure this is a $200 hotel, but then again I'm not sure what would be a $200 hotel in Atlanta. Perhaps the Ritz.

The perks: free internet (don't sleep on how nice this is for a business conference), a really nice, simple restaurant with excellent breakfast, wine tasting, an espresso bar, and very nice, comfortable beds. The TV is fine, the minibar is rather reasonable for a hotel in its class, and I thought the room was nice. It's a small room and I think it's best suited for a single business traveler, not multiple travelers.

Perhaps the best feature of this hotel is its size. It's very small compared to other hotels in Atlanta. This is nice for elevators, quietness, and other amenities important to business travelers. This also means that the hotel staff is not too busy to attend to traveler concerns.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Buffalo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

This hotel was really nice. It's newly remodeled and very trendy looking. I stayed here on business in both November and December 2009. From the moment you walk in the door the staff is extremely helpful and friendly. They had free wine tasting every day from 5:30 - 6:30 which I utilized almost every day I was there. The restaurant has a lot of organic dishes which I really liked. The rooms are nice. The only problem was the furnace. When its on it blast super loud non-stop and when you turn it off the room gets cold. If I ever return to Atlanta I would definately stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

My friends and I stayed at The Ellis on 12-31-09. Upon arrival at the
hotel we were all very impressed. The doorman/valet immediately
greeted us. The check-in process was quick and everyone was very
friendly. After helping us to our rooms, we went to the bar area.
Again, everyone was very helpful and the atmosphere was great. We left
the hotel for a few hours and upon returning we went to the lounge to
eat. We ordered two of the New Year's Eve specials. We had a total of
4 different servers and it took over 45 minutes to get our food. We
never had any explanation of the wait and we were the only ones in the
lounge. Since this was the advertised special, it would seem like
there would have been plenty made in advance. Also, we had to send a
sprite back because the glass was dirty and there was stuff floating
in it. The next morning when we got up to shower, there was no hot
water. After speaking with our friends in another room, we realized it
wasn't just our room. We called the desk and they took our room
number. No one ever came to our room or called back. Since check-out
time was approaching we washed in cold water in the sink. Our friends
had someone come to their room and he checked the water temperature.
Again, no explanations were made. Another call was made to the front
desk where we were told that they were waiting on management. At this
time, the front desk worker told our friend that "maybe he should try
to fix it if he could do better". While waiting on the elevator we
talked to several people who had the same experience and several who
also said they didn't have heat in their room. A worker who was also
waiting on the elevator overheard our conversation and said that they
had told the management that they didn't have hot water in the kitchen
for many days and was told it was just a kitchen problem. This may
explain the dirty glass. Upon check-out we were offered nothing and
wished a Happy New Year. Overall this hotel is beautiful and has
extremely hospitable people working in it. If the hot water problem
had been a new issue and had been addressed instead of acting like
nothing was wrong, it would be understandable. We all got the feeling
like it was an on-going problem and to just get us all out of the way
as quickly as possible. For a hotel of this rating, I expected better
service.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
tlyon-mercado, Director of Sales & Marketing at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, January 5, 2010
Good Morning - I have contacted you direct to discuss the circumstances during your stay on 12/31/09. I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.
Rochester, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

As a business traveler, I really appreciate a hotel that provides value through quality, comfort and excellent customer service. I appreciate the friendly staff, comfortable room, excellent food and complimentary business center. The complimentary wine tasting is a nice treat at the end of a busy day. And, they also offer a floor exclusively for women travelers with optional "mommy cams" to stay in contact with home.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2009

I stayed at the Ellis on the weekend of the 12th. It was rainy, windy, and cold which made staying in bed an incentive - thus my title :). The staff was pleasant and the interior was modern. I travel a lot so the hotel was nothing to write home about. It's the typical boutique hotel with a backstory of having ghosts. We spoke to management (who were friendly by the way) about the ghost stories. They said they were aware of the stories but no one experienced anything personally.

I enjoyed laying around in the bed so much. The only con was the phone to our room wasn't working. We didn't notice until it was time to order room service. We went down to the hotel's restaurant for breakfast - which was really great. The night before they had a free wine tasting. Their wines were awful - cheap. Nonetheless, the waiters were very attentive - Keith provided great service when we went to breakfast.. Excellent service!

Overall the hotel was clean, trust me I'm picky. As soon as I get into a hotel room I'm checking the sheets, bathroom, floors, etc. I got nothing - which was a plus. The hotel doesn't seem seem ideal for children, more of a couple's or single traveler's hotel. The mini bar was on a tray that contained - organic goodies, water, and chocolate body paint.
One bit of advice don't get a room by the elevator but that's just common sense. My boyfriend booked the room by the elevator and we could hear people talking and getting off and on while we were awake. The hotel is located conveniently by the train in the downtown Atlanta. We were one block away from Rays in the City - excellent food and service as well.

evans, ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2009

This was a very nice hotel with an extremely nice front staff. They made you feel welcome as soon as you walked in the door.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2009

My stay started out with me being put in a handicapped room, which is fine, unless you have a lot of long clothes that must be hung up (like us). Also I was on the 6th floor and it was IMPOSSIBLE to sleep at night w/out earplugs what with all the trucks going around Peachtree and Ellis St at all hours thru the night/morning. The A/C was also very loud in the room.
The next day we requested and were moved to the 15th floor, much quieter. Was great from here on..
Definitely order room service- the menu is reasonable and side plates and breakfast are delicious.
The staff is very friendly and helpful AND there is FREE wifi, and FREE printing/wifi in the business center!! Parking is $22/day, kinda steep, but other than that I would stay here again (on the 15th floor).

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Ellis Hotel? Share your experiences!