“Excellent Stay & Super Friendly Staff” 5 of 5 stars

10% off room rate
Ranked #42 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Calgary
“Excellent Stay & Super Friendly Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2009

We stayed this June at the Ellis, and by arrival we enjoyed a very warm welcome. The Check in was very smooth and did not take any time at all, by the time I check in our Suitcases were loaded up and on their way to the Room. I have to admit the room was small, but in a city like Atlanta who stays in his room all day. There is so much to see and do that the only time you should be able to see your Room is when you go back and sleep.
Otherwise, the only downside of the Hotel and we tried it just ones was there in house Restaurant. I recommend staying away from it, unless you are a fan to look for your meal with a Microscope. The Servings are small but very pricy, and not the best either. Do yourself a favor, there is Hard Rock Coffee, a Mexican & Brazilian Restaurant just across and of course a Hooters just 5 min. walk away from the Hotel…and as we all know…the Atmosphere at Hard Rock is phenomenal and you are not going back to the hotel hungry….
In all I give this Hotel…a 9 out of 10. Cleanliness, Friendliness & helpfulness of the Staff working here are by far above exceptional. Just stay away from the Restaurant…unless you are a gourmet and like small portions for a big price.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

It was just okay, but not what I expected. It's a small hotel, with small rooms. The candlelit stairs at night was nice and the restaurant was okay, but make sure that you don't pay more than the online discount rate because anything more is a rip off. I only stayed one night and changed hotels for the next two nights.

There's lots of hotels on Peachtree to choose from so choose wisely.

I think they are ranked number 2 on TripAdv for Atlanta because they are writing their own reviews.

My two cents.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Athens, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

We just stayed one night. Wish we would have had more time. The hotel was lovely and with in walking distance of Hard Rock and Hooters (less than a half a block or so). We also walked the .5 miles to the Aquarium and World of Coke. On our way were were able to pass thru Centinal Park. So I thought the location was pretty awesome. The hotel was modern and beautiful. Nicely decorated and comfortable. We would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Orlando, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

My husband and I stayed there three nights. The hotel staff was a breath of fresh air, from the bellmen to the chef. The rooms were clean, fresh and turn down service each night. I can't explain how fabulous the food was, except that you need to try everything on the menu at least once LOL. Especially the Amish Chicken! The Ellis really made our trip worthwhile. Thank you to all the staff.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Birmingham, AL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

My girlfriend and I decided to come to Atlanta for a quick one night stay to take in the sights as we drove to see her family. Having been to Atlanta before I knew I wanted to stay on Peachtree, but was unsure if it would be budget friendly. Luckily, I found the Elllis. When I saw the price I was unsure if it was a] located farther down peachtree than where I wanted or b] a dump with a good location. Located across the street from the Ritz Carlton Atlanta and a block from the Westin, you could not have asked for a better location. Once I found out that the location was great I was very worried that we would arrive and it would have some flaws. There were none. We were greeted immediately, more like the staff wanted to speak to us rather than they felt as if it was their job. We were led up to our room, which was great. I had read some reviews that it was small but was pleasantly surprised to find a rather large room. The shower was amazing. We only stayed for one night but I wish we could have stayed longer. The overall boutique theme of the hotel was pulled of nicely as the furniture was very modern and classy. If you are a traveler looking for a great place on a relatively low budget this is perfect for you. If you are a traveler looking for a great place on a relatively high budget, save your money, this is perfect for you.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2009

I must say that I chose this hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews. I typically prefer the Westin, Marriott, Embassy Suites, Hiltons, etc. but I thought I would give this boutique hotel a chance. I reserved two adjoining rooms for four nights because they only offered Jr. Suites and there were three of us (me, my husband and teen son). Don’t waste your time, these rooms are so small that it didn’t make a difference we were still sitting on top of one another and walking into one another.

Well, I learned quickly that the "southern hospitality" facade is only extended until you say "NO THANK YOU". We were told when we made the reservations about the parking garage behind the hotel so considering we had driven 11 hours and it was our first visit (we didn't know the hotel nor the area) we immediately parked there and walked the 1/2 block up to the hotel with our luggage... the doorman almost attacked us as we approached the door to grab our luggage and we said "no thank you" and we proceeded to walk in because we were right in front of the door. Considering the fact that this is such a small hotel that when you step into the lobby the front desk is right there and when you step off the elevator to your floor, your room is right there, this service is really not needed (how about a pool and room service), but even if it was larger we said NO thank you... he went further to sarcastically say "and you didn't valet" as if we were too cheap. Immediately we were "put off" because he followed us into the lobby and kept prancing around the little lobby as if he couldn't wait for us to get on the elevator to discuss us with the two other employees working the lobby (the icebox at the front desk and the part- time concierge).
On a better note – our best experiences were with those that were not natives to the south: William, (Front desk), Laemlak (Valet) and Troy (Bellman). We were very fortunate to encounter these gentlemen and thank goodness they worked the shifts where we were either coming or going. William was FULL of hospitality and just genuinely warm, Laemlak parked or retrieved our SUV once we were advised on the valet service and was VERY personable and helpful with directions and informative on ATL happenings and Troy was just always available for whatever you needed, directions, advice on ATL, insights on where to go, where to eat, etc. Troy graciously tried to divert me to the individual responsible for advice (concierge) as if he might get in trouble for going above and beyond his job or offering the wrong advice, but I assured him that I wanted advice based on his ATL experience and that there was no need to TRACK her down for something as simple as a restaurant recommendation. Concierge was rarely in the lobby.
Last but not least:
Housekeeping - We left a tip for housekeeping with the hopes that she would do a good job… NOT! If she put her cell phone down long enough she probably could have cleaned the room properly. It wasn’t enough that I left the card out indicating that she didn’t have to change the sheets, to help them stay “green”. She half cleaned one room and skipped my adjoining room all together, so I had to call. Her excuse was the door was locked… “hello” they were adjoining suites where we had the interior doors propped wide open. SECOND, management should tell her that if you reserve two rooms for four nights, you are entitled to soap/shower gel each night. One shower gel per room doesn’t last four days; especially not the quality of shower gel provided. By the 3rd night I put up the do not disturb sign, I didn’t even want her in the room until I was gone, it was just a waste of time.
Room Service: Do they offer it OR not? I had to call to ask for a menu because there are no menus in the rooms.
HVAC – LOUD, LOUD and LOUD and it’s either ON or OFF because AUTO does not work or it’s not properly calibrated (did I already say that the blower was ridiculously loud) and there are no fans/vents in the restrooms.
INTERNET – it worked an hour only on the first day…. Don’t advertise free wireless high speed internet if it doesn’t work. I called the 800# and the front desk and they blamed each other for the problem and as of my last day it still did not work
Location – SEEDY….oh my, homeless people are standing around peddling and street lighting is poor. There was no way that we were going to walk the ½ block from the parking garage at night, regardless of the price of valet because the Ellis is not in a great location. The Ritz Carlton is directly across the street, leading one to believe that it’s “probably” a nice area, well the Ritz appears a little “shabby” too so don’t be fooled. Stay closer to the higher end (1000 to 1600) Peachtree and off the lower end if you can.

If you have to offer ear plugs, it's the first clue that there's a problem indoors with the noisy staff in the hall OR the traffic/peddlers right outside the hotel.

MY FAVORITE: They charged me twice for both rooms….. Mgmt was immediately available when I called and said that it should be corrected within 24 hours….. we’ll see.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

The Ellis Hotel in downtown Atlanta has a great restaurant, the "Terrace". It is a delightful place to have lunch. The hotel decour is modern, crisp and definately has a European flair. But the service is southern hospitality that will win you over. Arrived at the Terrace for lunch and was pleasantely surprised. Along with their full size menu there are great small and lite plates for lunch which are bursting with flavor. You will not resist eating every bite of the mac and cheese. We also had the crab cakes and salad all excellant. Would recommend this hotel and restaurant for any occasion. Valet parking is a plus also. Sandy S

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Ellis Hotel? Share your experiences!