“Great service & location” 5 of 5 stars

10% off room rate
Ranked #36 of 189 hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Denver, Colorado
“Great service & location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I stayed at the Ellis one night on business. The rooms are small but very nicely appointed with soft robes and toiletries. The staff is super friendly and helpful and the location was close to restaurants for dinner. It's a little bit of a long walk from the Atlanta World Congress Center but across the street from the MARTA station.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Olya R, Front Office Manager at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Good afternoon,
Thank you for posting a review-we're glad to read that you had a comfortable stay. Thank you for your business!

843 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

The building is nice, cozy and in a great location. My problem is that I called 5 times trying to make a reservation. I was quoted one price by the first reservation person, and was never able to talk to her again...they said she worked first desk, then they said the price changed (in less than 10 mins) I decided to come in person and was told a price with an incidentals fee. I wanted two rms and it wasnt until I came for the actual rms that I was told that I would be chagred two incidental fees. I told her I was paying cash but my card was swipped and the 1 room n fee was charged to it..(inconvenience) I was told I would get the fee back when I checked out, but my husband brought it to her attention that it may take longer then she said, oh yes it could take up to 7 days... thats misleading... I got a letter under my door saying we had free bfast with our room... then I went for
the $1 a glass of wine, I ordered 2 glasses of Rozay and was given the last of Rozay n he said there
was no more so I had to get another kind (as if they were not prepared to serve their guests) later my husband called abt the wifi that wasnt working so I tld him to ask abt the bfast ( how to order it) and he told her abt the letter...she said the letter addressed to me, my name on the envelope and rm # on the outside was not meant for me...thennnn they called back and said someone was coming to get the letter...so the housekeeper came to get the letter by knocking twice loudly. I WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN! They lost a would-be good guest!!!! I didnt enjoy any of this experience!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Olya R, Front Office Manager at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Good Afternoon, thank you for your recent stay with us. I was distressed to read your review. Please accept my apologies for the confusion with the breakfast letter. I would also like to apologize that we do not offer rosé as a part of the $1 wine tasting. I hope you consider giving us another opportunity to impress you and show you why so many guests consider us their home-away-from-home.
New York, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

This hotel has the ability to be a great haven. We programmed the address into the GPS. That address is impossible to get because of the 1 way street. We basically, left the car and asked the valet to get it. the rooms were small but lovely furnished. Odd things - we were on the "bed and breakfast plan" - The first day we didnt' read fine print and just ordered breakfast - $70.00 - The B and B package entitles you to eggs and toast and coffee (PERIOD) - ODD. Also they ran out of regular coffee 2 mornings in a row. How does that happen - The manager couldn't go to the store and just buys some ground coffee? ODD. Gym was small but adequate. Will NEVER stay there again. The staff was wonderful. Misleading ads about spa services also - There is no spa at the hotel. The therapists come to your room with their tables and set up shop - awkward.. Much room for improvement - NO COFFEE !!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Olya R, Front Office Manager at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Good Afternoon,
Thank you for your recent stay and for taking your time to provide feedback. I would like to sincerely apologize that we failed to explain to you what's included in the breakfast package, as well as for the lack of coffee-as a coffee drinker, I certainly understand how this can ruin someone's morning. I spoke with the restaurant manager ragarding this to ensure we always have coffee-I know this doesn't change your experience but at least you can be sure we're doing something to correct the problem. I was glad to hear you enjoyed the room overall as well as the gym. I hope you still enjoyed your spa services, despite them being provided in the room. Thank you again for you business and I hope you consider giving us another opportunity to impress you next time you're in Atlanta.
Oviedo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We had a wonderful experience at The Ellis during a two-night stay in downtown. I'm an Atlanta native now living in another state and had followed the refurbishing of this historic and long-abandoned site. The Ellis is beautiful -- boasting modern conveniences, understated elegance, and great location. We enjoyed a short drive to Atlantic Station and another day walked to Centennial Olympic Park and through historic parts of downtown. We especially appreciated the excellent service -- from Sam, the gracious valet who served us both nights, to Brenette, Chris and others at the front desk. A modest just-be-aware: sounds of city traffic are clear (this should not be a surprise) and the effective air conditioning was sometimes fairly loud. We heartily recommend The Ellis and would happily stay here again.

Green Features: Appreciated that the hotel left our hanging towels for re-use (unlike others that imply they'll leave them for environment's sake but remove them anyway -- a source of frustration for a greenie like me).
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Good Afternoon, thank you so much for the kind words about Sammy, Brenette, and Chris-I can't wait to share your review with them! I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our location convenient. We hope to have you as our guest again next time you're in town.
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

If you're heading in Atlanta for the first time, this is the perfect hotel to stay in. It's easily accessible and is within walking distance to lots of local attractions including CNN and Centennial Olympic Park. Staff was very friendly, room was mostly clean. Only complaint was a section of mold found above the toilet (see pictures for references). We determined the mold might have been there because there was no ventilation system in the bathroom.

Hotel was billed as dog-friendly - be advised it only is dog-friendly in TITLE. We were advised that although our dog could stay with us, we could not ever leave him in the room by himself. If we did, we would be subjected to a $200 fee. There also was not any green space around the hotel for a dog to do his business. Fee for having our pup stay with us was also quite steep - $75.

All in all, pleasant experience at the hotel, but despite what you read online, DO NOT stay here if you are bringing Fido.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Good Afternoon, thank you for your stay and for the feedback. I'm glad you thought our location was great and that you enjoyed the room. I'm very sorry we missed the stain in the bathroom. I will be reaching out to you privately, so that I can find out what room you were occupying to ensure this issue has been taken care of.
I was distressed to hear that the pet rules were misrepresentred to you. You can certainly leave your pet alone, we would just need to be notified. There's also no such fee as $200 for barking. We do have such fee in place should a damage occur/special cleaning required. The $75 fee we charge for pets is in place so that we can have the room deep cleaned every time after a pet stays.
I apologize for the miscommunication. I would like to make it up to you by waiving the pet fee next time you stay at the hotel. Please contact me directly when you're planning your next trip to Atlanta.
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We had the good fortune of picking the Ellis out of the blue for accomodations at the tournament and boy, did we get lucky! We arrived at a very high traffic period with many of the streets blocked to facilitate tournament crowds. The blocked streets made our navigation system useless. Nicole Boyd graciously stayed on the phone and talked us in manually, for 22 minutes! She's a Peach! Troy was pleasant, engaging and courteous every time we saw him, Daniel, Jonathan and others on the dining room staff helped us put together an impromptu party on the second flow balcony to prepare for the final game. The GM, Kim even helped with this!

The best memory we have of the Ellis, though, is that the entire staff exuded warmth that made us feel right at home, despite the fact that this was our first time in downtown Atlanta. The Ellis truly provided us with Southern Hospitality. The location is great, too. Go Ellis! Go Cards!

We'll be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Good Afternoon, it is always our goal to provide a memorable experience to our guests-and we're glad to hear you and your family had a great time. I was especially delighted to read your comments about Nickole, Jonathan, Troy, and Daniel. Thank yuo very mch for your stay with us and we hope to see you again soon!
Buckingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Nice little boutique hotel within walking distance of CNN and the conference centre. Great staff and service. All amenities were fine and rooms very comfortable.small bar and breakfast room , but totally adequate and no problem was too much trouble for the staff. Very comfortable stay

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Good Afternoon,
Thank you for your recent stay with us and for reviewing the Ellis on Tripadvisor. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and found the accommodations comfortable.
We hope to have you as a guest again soon.
Olya

Been to Ellis Hotel? Share your experiences!