“Great value in Atlanta.” 4 of 5 stars

10% off room rate
Ranked #32 of 188 hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersGold level
Salem, Massachusetts
“Great value in Atlanta.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed in Atlanta for along weekend in February. The hotel service was great, and the room was small but comfortable and nice. We had a room on the 15th floor (1507) with a nice view overlooking the city. The restaurant is very small and had limited but sufficient offerings for breakfast. I think they are in the process of renovating the main restaurant on site. One negative is that the hotel does not offer wi fi throughout the hotel, but just in the lobby. They are upgrading their fiberoptic cables, and do offer ethernet cables in the rooms. The location is ideally located in the center of downtown within a 10-15 min walking distance to the local attractions such as the aquarium and world of coca cola etc. On our last evening in town, we enjoyed a glass of wine at the hotel bar, and Tim the bartender was very friendly providing good conversation and great service. Overall great value and good location.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Olya R, Front Office Manager at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear tsullivan1-Thank you for your recent stay. I have great news: The Ellis Hotel is now all wireless! We're happy to share this with you and other Ellis Hotel guests. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and can't wait to share your review with Tim the bartender!

851 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I stayed at the Ellis Hotel in downtown Atlanta for 2 nights. It is right as you get off MARTA so getting there from the airport was quick and inexpensive. If you are longing for an impressive lobby then pay the price for the Ritz Carlton, across the street, but if you are hoping to save a little money, you will find the hotel to be as good as any of the high priced chains. The staff was very nice, friendly and helpful. Whenever I was in the lobby I was greeted and asked if they could provide me help. The bar/restaurant are small, but that didn't bother me because I found the staff to be very accommodating.

From the Airport take MARTA to Peachtree Center and exit at Ellis Street. There are signs in the station as to where to exit, look for Ellis Hotel.

Room Tip: I always get a room farthest from the elevator to avoid any noise, and since the property isn't...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Richard K, General Manager at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
So very glad to hear that your recent two night Ellis Hotel stay was a good one! We do have a great location right next to the Marta Station which makes getting to and from the airport very quick and inexpensive. Also good to hear you thought we were a good value and our hotel & staff is of the quality as good as any of the higher priced chains. We do pride ourselves on our friendly and accommodating staff so it is always nice to know you found this to be the case also. As a valued guest we look forward to welcoming you back next time your travels take you back to Downtown Atlanta.
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We recently stayed here on a whim and whoa was it worth it. The staff that operates this hotel is incredibly friendly and accommodating. I highly recommend this hotel for anyone looking to stay downtown and enjoy a historical building over the copy and paste hotels.

Room Tip: Higher the better. We were on floor 3 and we were subject to some road noise, but none that was inco...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Olya R, Front Office Manager at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear gatorfanryan, thank you so much for your recent stay with us and I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay. Our staff will be glad to hear the kind words you left about them. We hope to see you again next time you're in Atlanta.
Huntsville, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Great downtown hotel, with excellent and friendly staff. Yes, smallish rooms but that's to be expected in old downtown building. Restaurant also very nice -- excellent local-source concept and execution, currently located on lobby level in bar area while main dining room being refurbed so it will be even better when that's done.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear mentone7, I'm glad you enjoyed your recent stay with us-thank you for your business. And thank you for your patience while we're building the new meeting space. We hope to see you back in the nearest future!
Sincerely
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Zipped into Atlanta to see a show at the Theatrical Outfit (great show, by the way ... "Fly"). Found the hotel on the theater's website. $99, right in the middle of things; nice hotel. I'll be back soon.

Room Tip: Some rooms, I think, have a better view than mine did. See if you can get a view of the city.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear AlecH, we welcome all friends of the Theatrical Oufit-I'm glad you were able to take advantage of this great special rate and enjoyed the show. Thank you for your recent stay with us and for your feedback-we hope to see you again next time your passion for theater brings you downtown.
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I must quickly reiterate what every review states - the staff at this hotel is simply amazing. They front desk ladies felt like old friends - they were helpful, honest and amazingly personable. I felt so comfortable with the entire stay at the hotel and their efforts alone would be enough to have me return. Now - on to my review.

I stayed at the Ellis Hotel October 12-14, 2012 and was in town for a romantic getaway/birthday weekend/Falcons football game (random, I know). Immediately after landing at the airport, we sped over to the Exhale Spa in the Loews Hotel (which was incredible - highly recommended) and then checked in at the Ellis. The check in was a breeze - our room was ready right away and there were rose petals on the bed as part of the romance package. The only thing I will say about the rose petals is that they were artificial and I wasn't entirely sure what to do with them after the initial excitement of being super romantic wore off. Did the hotel want them back? Should they be thrown away? Would anyone be coming back to take them off the bed? I surely didnt want to sleep amidst the scratchy petals. But I'm sure if I had actually asked a staff member, they would have let me know the answers to any questions. We just brushed them off the bed and kept moving - off to Gladys Knight's Chicken and Waffles!!!

The location of this hotel was amazing - everything was truly within walking distance and I never felt the need to get my car out of the garage. We walked to Gladys Knights, Benihana, the Georgia Dome and the Olympic Centennial Park. You can also easily walk to the Georgia Aquarium and Coca-Cola World. In addition, we walked to this place called 'the Underground' which had a ton of shops and kiosks to buy things like clothes, hats, shoes and even ridiculously gaudy I'm-a-rapper-trying-to-be-ridiculous jewelry. Also, if you are visiting the ATL and staying at this hotel, you must stop into the Metro Diner for a meal. They are open all night and the food is outstanding. We discovered this little gem on a previous trip to Atlanta and to find that it is only one street over from the Ellis - Fabulous! It has now become a must-visit for us everytime we are in town.

Now, back to the hotel. As part of the romance package, we had free valet parking (which is AWESOME because the street is so narrow and the area is a bit congested). We were also privy to a delicious room service breakfast EVERY MORNING (bacon/sausage, grits, toast, eggs and juice every day? Yes Please!) and chocolate covered strawberries accompanied by a bottle of champagne every night. While I would have actually preferred vodka over the champagne, I gladly sipped a small glass every night while punishing the strawberries. The room was decently sized - a little tight compared to other rooms I've been in but still with enough space for the two of us to move around. I appreciated the glass shower door and minimalist bathroom styling; however, the shower door was missing a little something to prevent the door from slamming/banging. I thought about this - perhaps it is missing a rubber sweep on the bottom of the door. Regardless, I just closed the door gently when showering and kept it moving.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay again. It was comfortable, the staff was great and the package I selected was awesome. I think I will ask them to hold the rose petals though.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear keeping_it_100, thank you so much for great feedback-I'm sure a lot of travelers will find your review most helpful. I was proud to read the notes about the front desk staff. Your feedback is very important to our efforts to continuously improve guest satisfaction: we strive to do the best job we can, and reviews like yours make it all worthwhile. We certainly hope to see you back soon!
Naperville, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

From the sales manager, front desk staff and the concierge service to the bartender, the service was second to none. In the time my company stayed at the Ellis, people were calling us by our first name and we developed great relationships that will last into the future. I have never met a more courteous staff, professional and on the ball with everything. The rooms were fantastic, probably the most comfortable bed I have slept in during my travels - and the pillows were nice and fluffy! The location is excellent and right on the strip!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Olya R, Front Office Manager at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Laura S, Thank you so much for your recent stay and for the wonderful feedback-I will be sure to share it with all staff members. I'm glad to hear you and your group enjoyed your stay and looking forward to having you next time you're in Atlanta!
Olya

Been to Ellis Hotel? Share your experiences!