“Wonderfully Personable Staff, Comfortable Accomodations” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 190 Hotels in Atlanta
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Baltimore, Maryland
“Wonderfully Personable Staff, Comfortable Accomodations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I must quickly reiterate what every review states - the staff at this hotel is simply amazing. They front desk ladies felt like old friends - they were helpful, honest and amazingly personable. I felt so comfortable with the entire stay at the hotel and their efforts alone would be enough to have me return. Now - on to my review.

I stayed at the Ellis Hotel October 12-14, 2012 and was in town for a romantic getaway/birthday weekend/Falcons football game (random, I know). Immediately after landing at the airport, we sped over to the Exhale Spa in the Loews Hotel (which was incredible - highly recommended) and then checked in at the Ellis. The check in was a breeze - our room was ready right away and there were rose petals on the bed as part of the romance package. The only thing I will say about the rose petals is that they were artificial and I wasn't entirely sure what to do with them after the initial excitement of being super romantic wore off. Did the hotel want them back? Should they be thrown away? Would anyone be coming back to take them off the bed? I surely didnt want to sleep amidst the scratchy petals. But I'm sure if I had actually asked a staff member, they would have let me know the answers to any questions. We just brushed them off the bed and kept moving - off to Gladys Knight's Chicken and Waffles!!!

The location of this hotel was amazing - everything was truly within walking distance and I never felt the need to get my car out of the garage. We walked to Gladys Knights, Benihana, the Georgia Dome and the Olympic Centennial Park. You can also easily walk to the Georgia Aquarium and Coca-Cola World. In addition, we walked to this place called 'the Underground' which had a ton of shops and kiosks to buy things like clothes, hats, shoes and even ridiculously gaudy I'm-a-rapper-trying-to-be-ridiculous jewelry. Also, if you are visiting the ATL and staying at this hotel, you must stop into the Metro Diner for a meal. They are open all night and the food is outstanding. We discovered this little gem on a previous trip to Atlanta and to find that it is only one street over from the Ellis - Fabulous! It has now become a must-visit for us everytime we are in town.

Now, back to the hotel. As part of the romance package, we had free valet parking (which is AWESOME because the street is so narrow and the area is a bit congested). We were also privy to a delicious room service breakfast EVERY MORNING (bacon/sausage, grits, toast, eggs and juice every day? Yes Please!) and chocolate covered strawberries accompanied by a bottle of champagne every night. While I would have actually preferred vodka over the champagne, I gladly sipped a small glass every night while punishing the strawberries. The room was decently sized - a little tight compared to other rooms I've been in but still with enough space for the two of us to move around. I appreciated the glass shower door and minimalist bathroom styling; however, the shower door was missing a little something to prevent the door from slamming/banging. I thought about this - perhaps it is missing a rubber sweep on the bottom of the door. Regardless, I just closed the door gently when showering and kept it moving.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay again. It was comfortable, the staff was great and the package I selected was awesome. I think I will ask them to hold the rose petals though.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Olya R, Front Office Manager at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear keeping_it_100, thank you so much for great feedback-I'm sure a lot of travelers will find your review most helpful. I was proud to read the notes about the front desk staff. Your feedback is very important to our efforts to continuously improve guest satisfaction: we strive to do the best job we can, and reviews like yours make it all worthwhile. We certainly hope to see you back soon!
Olya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Naperville, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

From the sales manager, front desk staff and the concierge service to the bartender, the service was second to none. In the time my company stayed at the Ellis, people were calling us by our first name and we developed great relationships that will last into the future. I have never met a more courteous staff, professional and on the ball with everything. The rooms were fantastic, probably the most comfortable bed I have slept in during my travels - and the pillows were nice and fluffy! The location is excellent and right on the strip!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Olya R, Front Office Manager at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Laura S, Thank you so much for your recent stay and for the wonderful feedback-I will be sure to share it with all staff members. I'm glad to hear you and your group enjoyed your stay and looking forward to having you next time you're in Atlanta!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The staff was amazing. Very friendly and accommodating. They made you feel right at home. Great food, very relaxing atmosphere. You would be hard press to find another Hotel that goes so far out of their way to make sure you stay was only the best!

Dear Dale S,
Thank you so much for the kind words about our staff. We take all feedback very seriously and I can't wait to share your comments with the rest of the team. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and looking forward to welcoming you back soon!
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We spent our anniversary night here because we went here for dinner 1 night and loved the decor so we were curious about how the rooms looked. The room was beautiful and we had champagne waiting for us (they forgot to decorate the room with rose petals). The bed was one of the most comfortable hotel beds i have ever slept in. They had robes in the closet so we could get comfortable. The only issue was when it was time to go to sleep. Our room was on the front side of the hotel and they do not have double pane windows. We heard everything outside! There was some annoying voice on the intercom all night! We GOT NO SLEEP AT ALL! we did feel better when our wonderful breakfast in bed was delivered and the management was nice enough to credit us for some of the night. We will stay here again but we have to stay on the quiet side of the hotel. Otherwise, the location is perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the quiet side
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Trina-Atlanta, thank you for your recent stay and for the feedback. I would like to offer my apologies for us missing the rose petal service. I am also sorry you were bothered by the noise-we will be glad to get you a room on the other side of the building next time you stay with us. We hope to see you again soon!
sporttourer
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We scored a 4 night stay on Priceline for 106 per night. Great staff, very friendly and accommodating. Room was small, but staff moved us to a bigger room when it became available (hotel was full the first 2 nights). It appears that the 05 rooms are small, the 06 rooms are larger. Parking was $25, free internet. Friends were staying down the street at the Westin, 150/night, $35 parking, and $12 a day for internet! The restaurant was small but food quality was very good. We would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms with the last two digits 06 are larger than the 05's. 14th floor and above has the best v...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Richard K, General Manager at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
We were very happy to hear you had a “Wonderful stay” at the Ellis Hotel. Our one desire is to make you a valued loyal guest who will return to the Ellis next time your travel plans call for a hotel room in Atlanta. We look forward to welcoming you again soon!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Excellent boutique hotel with great staff. Everyone is friendly and helpful. Great price for a hotel in the heart of the city. Great selection at the bar. Windows actually open so you can feel the city. rooms are of good size as are the bathrooms. Modern decorations, very clean and relatively new, such that nothing looks worn or used. Will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms on east side offer a view of Peachtree St.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Richard K, General Manager at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Happy to hear you felt the Ellis was an "Excellent boutique hotel with great staff" and that you will be back.;as a loyal guest we will look forward to you return soon!
North Conway, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

In all fairness, the room was excellent, however, i used to go there becasue they had a fabulous restaurant. i could sit down in the restaurant in the morning and have a nice breakfast and have dinner or room service there when i returned from 10 hours at the america's mart. No restaurant now, but construction for meeting rooms. they offer a buffet breakfast for $16 which is luke warm crappy food sitting around for hours. Traveling alone, it is important for me to be able to have dinner in my room as I don't always like to go out to a bar/restaurant by myself. I will not be back because of that. I had to move out of my first room becuase the heater blower was so loud it would wake the dead, and it turned on every 10 min. When I did attempt to eat at the bar, the bartender was too busy to wait on the people seated at the bar. 20 min to get a glass of wine and take my order!!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
I am terrible sorry that your most recent stay with us was not a good one and that you were disappointed with our Terrace Bistro and the guest room issue you experienced regarding the blower. If you would consider, I would like to have the opportunity to show you we do care about your business and can hopefully win it back. With this in mind I would like to offer you a future complementary stay; to take me up regarding this offer please contact me at 678-651-2760. Once again it is our desire to constantly listen to every guest’s feedback and take the action needed in effort to improve how we do business. Thank you for taking your valuable time to let us know.

Been to Ellis Hotel? Share your experiences!