“Hands down, the best hotel in the Atlanta area!” 5 of 5 stars

10% off room rate
Ranked #36 of 189 hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Plano, Texas
“Hands down, the best hotel in the Atlanta area!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

There are a myriad of hotel brands in the Atlanta area . . .the Mandarin Oriental, Four Seasons, The St. Regis, Loews. The list is endless. However, if you're looking for a luxury hotel that offers terrific price/value, then let me suggest the Ellis Hotel. I was a late arrival on a cold, rainy night, but received a warm greeting from the valet attendant within seconds of pulling up to the hotel. My luggage was quickly moved inside and the front desk representative checked me in and had me on my way in just over a minute. The cleanliness of my room and the hotel overall was impeccable. My phone calls to the front desk, throughout my stay, were picked up on the first ring and my questions were promptly and, more importantly, correctly answered, again, in a warm manner. The Ellis delivers five-star service without being intrusive. The hotel is taking it to the next level with a guest rooms' renovation. By the way, don't let this project concern you if you're staying there in the near future. They are working it around their guests to ensure the redo is "invisible" to customers. As always, the food was superb! Prior to leaving, I asked if the general manager was available (as I wanted to compliment him on a fantastic visit). Within 90 seconds, I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Richard Kleisner. He goes by "Kim." I quickly understood why this hotel delivers a five-star experience. Kim is one of the warmest, most engaging hotel general managers I have met. Just a joy to speak with. No question that his #1 focus is the guest experience and this priority flows to every other member of the staff. I am a road warrior and after three decades on the road, I have little patience for less than a flawless hotel stay (although I don't go looking for issues). If you want the best of the best in Atlanta, stay at the Ellis, and take a moment to meet Mr. Kleisner. He's a general manager who knows what travelers have to deal with on the road, and he and his team go over the top to differentiate the Ellis as a place to escape from everything that is wrong with most airlines, car rental companies and hotels.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Richard K, General Manager at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you so much for your very kind review of your recent stay at the Ellis Hotel. The entire staff and myself truly look forward to welcoming you back as a loyal guest in the very near future!

852 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I arrived in Atlanta earlier than expected and chose the Ellis Hotel because Trip Advisor said it was Great! High Ratings! Wow not exactly... Beginning with the front desk clerk was short and rude, not a good start. My room althought was clean and decorated very modern, trendy. the bed was comforable but the room was so noisy. I heard every sound outside on the streets, the room next door, etc. The best thing about this hotel was the Bartender downstairs. He was attentive, a great smile to greet you and thank me for coming to his hotel. I had a small bite off the bar menu. Food was fine, but I was hungry it was late.

Room Tip: Don't go somewhere else.. This hotel is not worth the money that they charged,
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Olya R, Front Office Manager at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Dakotasgal, I'm glad you enjoyed your room and had a good time at the bar. However, I was concerned to hear about your experience at check-in. It looks like you encountered a less-than-friendly associate-for that I would like to apologize and assure you that I will personally follow up on it within my department, as this is certainly not how we treat guests. We would love to see you stay at the Ellis again next time you're in Atlanta, so that we can show you why so many guests chose us as their "home-away'from-home" when visiting Atlanta.
Overland Park, Kansas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Just returned from a long week in Atlanta for the Gift Market. The hotel has a great commute to the mart and the MARTA. The problems are that the hotel seems unprepared for what is known as a busy week for all. I had several problems in my room that were taken care of but they were just a surprise for me. The first morning, I did not have a shower curtain in my room. On morning two I opened up a towel to find a large gaping hole in the middle.
The other issue with this hotel is the noise level. I am a fairly sound sleeper and this hotel is noisy. From street noise to the ice machine across the hall it was difficult to get a good nights rest.
The great things about the Ellis are the ladies only floor where your room has extra amenities like a flat iron and great toiletries. And who can balk at the location! The convenient location makes up for the short comings.
P.S. They moved the restaurant from the second floor to the first floor and it is tiny now. Also the free wine tasting from 5:30 to 6:00 is now $1.00...

Room Tip: Try to get rooms that end in 8...rooms that end in 1 and 2 are across from the ice machine...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Olya R, Front Office Manager at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear JuliMcG, thank you so much for your recent stay with us and for the feedback. I'm glad you found our location to be convenient to the America's Mart. I apologize for the missing shower curtain and for a worn towel-I will be sure to discuss it woth our housekeeping team. I am also very sorry you couldn't get a good night's rest-next time we will do our best to get you a room away from the ice machine.We hope to see you again in the near future!
Greenville, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I was looking for something a little "special" for a trip with my husband and exchange student. We were going to Atlanta to show her the "town" and though the Ellis is definately within walking distance to all the happening venues it was not what it advertised. Upon entering the parking area we were greated...eventually ...and eventually someone took our luggage. The lobby was in dis-repair with bits of molding, messy walls and old carpet around the check in area. Not what I expected from a "botique hotel" of its listing. We reserved a Jr. Suite so that our student guest would be in the same room with us and the hotel assured us that the sofa bed would be made up for us. It was not...OK..no problem...I will call down and they will correct their over site. Their idea of correcting it was to bring up the linens and to proceed to argue with me over whose job it was to make up the bed. Now this was suppose to be worthy of my paying top dollar for their "personal care". The room was not in top repair either with its coffee table looking like a rescue from a Thrift Store...worn furnishings and carpet. This along with other Phu-Pahs..created the feeling of.."OK...won't be back here." Even the teenager we had with us was aware of the sub-standards. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom sleek; but this was not enough to make up for the poor service. When dealing with the front desk I ended up having to ask for a manager who became very elusive. Wish I could say it was just an off day...or we just happened to get a sub-standard room.....don't think so. Atlanta...we will be back...Ellis....not on a bet!

Room Tip: May the force be with you!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear bzebra, I apologize for the unpleasant experience you had with our construction-I'm pleased to inform you it's now complete and Terrace Bistro is open for business!
I would also like to apologize for the associate who brought up the bedding-it is certainly not how we treat our guests here. We have spoken to the Housekeeping Manager and will be re-training the associate. I know this does not change your experience but you can be confident that we're doing something about it. Please consider returning to the Ellis during your next trip to Atlanta- I assure you-you will have a completely different experience.
Olya
Elkridge, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed at the Ellis for New Years Eve. I must say the location was fabulous, right in the thick of it all. Parking was a hastle due to Valet was over crowded. We ended up going to a parking garage one block down and paid 20 overnight, then hourly.
Pros:
Nice location
Comfortable bed
Bathroom remodeled, trendy, and clean
30min wine tasting/happy hour which we missed but heard it was pretty good

Cons:
Parking
The room is very small

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor room so you can have a view of Atlanta skyline not a brick wall
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Richard K, General Manager at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thanks for staying with us this NYE and pleased to hear your loved our location and your stay was a good one. Being a historic hotel our rooms do vary in size and some are bigger than others;' regarding valet due to all the activities going on ( football game at GA Dome, Peach Drop and club traffic) parking & traffic was busy however we do save valet spots for all our overnight guests therefore I was concerned to hear you parked somewhere else.
Grand Forks, North Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I was in Atlanta for a conference and wanted a hotel close to the MARTA. Found out about the Ellis Hotel on TripAdvisor and decided to stay. Overall, I was very pleased with hotel and sleeping arrangements. The room was small, so it was good I was staying by myself, but clean and comfortable. The bed, pillowtop, and pillows made my nights quiet, peaceful, and relaxing. It honestly was the best nights of sleep I have ever had in a hotel.

The hotel is right next to a MARTA stop (Peachtree), so the location was very convienient for the conference. Free wine is offered from 6:00-7:00 each evening in the lounge (very small area) and free coffee in the AM. With no swimming pool and small rooms, this works for me, but would not be a great spot for a family with kids.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up to avoid the street traffic noise
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Richard K, General Manager at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Great to hear you were pleased with the Ellis hotel and our sleeping arrangements! I must tell you we get so many great comments from our guests on just how comfortable our guest room beds actually are. We do have a very convenient location Downtown and also offer some larger guest rooms; but being a historic hotel we do have limitations such as no swimming pool available. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

My wife and kids stayed here for new years weekend off the bat once we got there the staff was very warm and inviting our room was clean a comfortable every mourning there was a greet coming in and leaving the hotel first time I've ever posted something on tripadvisor but I had to share my experience great place to stay

• Stayed December 2012
Richard K, General Manager at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thanks for sharing your great experience at the Ellis this past NYE! We are glad you choose to spend this special night with us and are very pleased to hear the kind comments about our staff, service and product. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Been to Ellis Hotel? Share your experiences!