“New Years Eve” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Elkridge, Maryland
“New Years Eve”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed at the Ellis for New Years Eve. I must say the location was fabulous, right in the thick of it all. Parking was a hastle due to Valet was over crowded. We ended up going to a parking garage one block down and paid 20 overnight, then hourly.
Pros:
Nice location
Comfortable bed
Bathroom remodeled, trendy, and clean
30min wine tasting/happy hour which we missed but heard it was pretty good

Cons:
Parking
The room is very small

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor room so you can have a view of Atlanta skyline not a brick wall
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Richard K, General Manager at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thanks for staying with us this NYE and pleased to hear your loved our location and your stay was a good one. Being a historic hotel our rooms do vary in size and some are bigger than others;' regarding valet due to all the activities going on ( football game at GA Dome, Peach Drop and club traffic) parking & traffic was busy however we do save valet spots for all our overnight guests therefore I was concerned to hear you parked somewhere else.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Grand Forks, North Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I was in Atlanta for a conference and wanted a hotel close to the MARTA. Found out about the Ellis Hotel on TripAdvisor and decided to stay. Overall, I was very pleased with hotel and sleeping arrangements. The room was small, so it was good I was staying by myself, but clean and comfortable. The bed, pillowtop, and pillows made my nights quiet, peaceful, and relaxing. It honestly was the best nights of sleep I have ever had in a hotel.

The hotel is right next to a MARTA stop (Peachtree), so the location was very convienient for the conference. Free wine is offered from 6:00-7:00 each evening in the lounge (very small area) and free coffee in the AM. With no swimming pool and small rooms, this works for me, but would not be a great spot for a family with kids.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up to avoid the street traffic noise
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Richard K, General Manager at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Great to hear you were pleased with the Ellis hotel and our sleeping arrangements! I must tell you we get so many great comments from our guests on just how comfortable our guest room beds actually are. We do have a very convenient location Downtown and also offer some larger guest rooms; but being a historic hotel we do have limitations such as no swimming pool available. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

My wife and kids stayed here for new years weekend off the bat once we got there the staff was very warm and inviting our room was clean a comfortable every mourning there was a greet coming in and leaving the hotel first time I've ever posted something on tripadvisor but I had to share my experience great place to stay

• Stayed December 2012
Richard K, General Manager at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thanks for sharing your great experience at the Ellis this past NYE! We are glad you choose to spend this special night with us and are very pleased to hear the kind comments about our staff, service and product. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Newly remodeled and very chic, are the impressions you get walking onto the lobby of the Ellis. Located within walking distance of the Hard Rock Cafe and other downtown attractions, the Ellis is elegant and convenient. All of the staff was cheerful and helpful and the place was spotless! I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Richard K, General Manager at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Very happy to hear you thought we were a "great boutique hotel Downtown" we do pride ourselves on being a notch above the everyday "Brand" hotels! I will let our staff know how very pleased you were with your last stay and that you intend to definitely return. It is our wish to make you a loyal guest and friend of the Ellis Hotel.
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

The hotel is clean and modern looking. Front desk staff and bellman are very personable especially Calvin and Nicole. The G.M. was also great and made us feel very welcome. This is something you get staying at a larger chain. The beds are soooooo comfortable. All in all a perfect spot.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Richard K, General Manager at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Happy to hear your short stay with us was a great one. I will pass along your kind words regarding the service you recieved from Calvin of our bell staff and Nichole our front desk supervisor on to them. We are glad to have had the chance to make you a friend of the Ellis and look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Sugar Land, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

What a fabulous experience!. Their tag line is “Let us surprise you” and it fits to a “T”. When I was planning our trip, to Atlanta, I began to explore the options downtown. Everything was really expensive, but then a search on Hotels.com yielded The Ellis for $108 per night. I did some more research and found that it was actually less expensive to go directly to the hotel’s site. After I made my reservation at $100 per night, Sunday through Wednesday, I received an email confirmation asking if I was celebrating anything special. I replied that it was my after graduation trip and forgot all about it. When we checked in, the front desk clerk congratulated me, but the biggest surprise was that they gave us a fantastic room on the 16th floor with a phenomenal city view from two sides. The room was not huge, but it had plenty of space. Although the windows were double pane, we could still here the typical city noises, like sirens. The bathroom was updated with granite counters and an oversized enclosed shower. There was a mini-fridge. A microwave would have been a nice addition. I appreciated the fact that the hotel recycles and had receptacles for both trash and recycling by the elevators. There was free wi-fi with a router/access point in the room. The hotel was located a block and a half from Peachtree Center which had a CVS pharmacy and a large food court. It was an easy half mile walk north to the Aquarium, Coca Cola and CNN and a half mile to the south to the Underground, and eclectic array of interesting shops. It’s across the street from the Ritz Carlton with room rates more than double.
Valet parking is $25 day with in and out privileges. When added to the low nightly rate, it was still a bargain (city meters are $2 per hour). There is a restaurant in the hotel that looked nice, but we didn’t try it. Every staff member was friendly and courteous. When we called to the front desk with minor problems, such as burned out light bulbs, maintenance was there within 5 minutes with a speedy replacement. The Ellis was one of the best hotel experiences I have ever had and at a very reasonable rate.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Richard K, General Manager at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
I am so very glad your experience at the Ellis was a fabulous one and that you found that we truly did lived up to our tag line "To Let Us Suprise You"! Our friendly & caring staff members really do try to go above & beyond showing each and every guest how very important they are to us! We look forward to your return to the Ellis Hotel in the future and thank you for the oppertunity to serve you.
Columbia, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I was here on business. This hotel is 30 minutes by the train from the airport. It is a straight shot and the train is clean and safe so no worries. When you get off the train, once you get oriented its about 2 or 3 avenue blocks to the hotel. It sits caddy corner to the Ritz Carlton. The hotel is not very large which I like. I was in Atlanta for a national conference. The designated hotels were the Hilton and the Marriott but those hotels are too big and service is lost. The smaller hotels are more customer oriented. The Ellis Hotel staff were very friendly and attentive. The rooms were clean. Free wifi was available. Unlike some other higher end chains, this hotel does provide a coffee maker in the room. The bathroom is fairly small. The shower had a leak which flooded the bathroom floor each time I showered. I didn't care too much. I didn't want to move and didn't want anyone in my room while I was gone. The hotel offers cocktails in the evening. I believe you get two free drinks with a drink card. There is a restaurant that service breakfast as well.

Other thoughts about the room. It always felt like a window was open because the room seemed a bit cool always. Also, my room faced the street and it was fairly noisy on friday and saturday night.

For business this hotel is nice enough. It is inexpensive, offers all the required amenities for business. The exercise room is small but good enough. FYI they do offer free gym access at a fitness center about two or three blocks down the road if you want more of a gym experience. Also there is no pool. I made a mistake under the rating and could not correct it. I wouldn't complain if I had to stay here again. Looking back on my rating I wouldn't change it. I guess it was small things about the room that bothered me enough to not say very good.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Glad to hear you felt our rooms were clean and our staff was very friendly and attentive to your needs.Thank you also for letting us know about the items that needed further attention in your room. We are currently fixing the shower issue and have also requested that our Engineering Department checks the windows you mentioned to ensure all are tightly closed. I would love the chance in the future to welcome you back to show you just how very much we value your business and take your feed back to heart!.

Been to Ellis Hotel? Share your experiences!