“Great! They're doing everything right” 5 of 5 stars

10% off room rate
Ranked #42 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
usa
“Great! They're doing everything right”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2008

It was a wonderful experience. At most big city Hotels you usually end up with a jaded staff. At the Ellis, every member of the staff that I came in contact with was very friendly and helpful. The facility was spotless, the room spacious and comfortable, the shower controls easy to figure out and use, great location, within walking distance to the subway,big flat screen TV and free internet access. The other great thing is that the subway will take you directly to the airport. The only airport I've been to that does that. (JFK rips you off by charging $5.00 to take you a 1/2 mile from the subway station to the terminal)

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — I thought breakfast prices at the hotel resturant was a little high.
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Stamford, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2008

We spent two nights in the Ellis and overall were pleased with our stay. It is a fairly new hotel and they seem to be working out some of the bumps still, especially when it comes to service.

Checking in, there were several employees in the lobby but only one at the front desk despite the fact there was a line for help. When we finally got to the desk, the woman helping us did apologize for the wait and was happy to accommodate our early check in.

The room was great looking although not as clean as I would have liked. We found hair all over the place. Other than that, it was very nice. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was large with great toiletries and it was quiet up on the 15th floor.

Internet is free in the business center, but was working sporadically and the printer/fax was out of ink for two days despite being reported. A couple of times we called the front desk and got no answer or were put on hold for 10 minutes.

The restaurant was chic with some unique and delicious choices and the waitstaff and chef were friendly and attentive.

Location is great...walking distance to the Aquarium, Coke and CNN. If you want some authentic southern food, check out PittyPat's Porch down the street.

We requested a late check out but were denied...I understand it's not always possible. They did however hold our bags for the day since we had a late flight.

They seem understaffed but hopefully this will get worked out with time. I would go back and definitely recommend the Ellis.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service could be better
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Detroit, MI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2008

I travel frequently for business, and I have stayed at hotels across the price range so I know what is reasonable and not. I was at the Ellis for four nights and 5 days. My stay at the Ellis was pretty bad, and here's why: Upon entering my room, I found hair in the tub, sink, and toilet. Later, I found more hair on the sheets. The breakfast order card (for ordering in-room dining to be delivered the next day) only appeared in my room on one day - once I used it, it was never replaced. I ordered breakfast, and it never came. The manager said he would call to recify, never did. I had to call him again -- after - get this - breakfast comes the NEXT morning, waking me up. He never explained why that happened. I had to call his boss to try to get some satisfaction. The iron and ironing board was always left out. On the three days that the sheets were not changed, the bedding was just yanked up to the pillows (not "made"). The minibar was not restocked once. A coffee spill was left untouched on the desk, and I think the one day the cups were not clean (just wiped out). And worst, worst, worst of all: EVERY day my key had to be recoded. On one afternoon, I had to get it recoded 4 times while the front desk staff just did it over and over again - not investigating, not apologizing. And the elevator takes forever. I did speak with multiple managers several times who had lots of apologies. Though they took no steps to rectify the housekeeping problems, they credited me with two nights' stay for my breakfast troubles. While this is a significant attempt to make it right, which I appreciated, it still added up to a heck of a lot of tolerating bad service and consistent irritation to stay here. If I hadn't bought the trip on Travelocity, I would have left on day 2. Taken all together, who needs this kind of hassle? There are lots of other hotels within walking distance of this one - I would never return here. Hilton Atlanta seems nice, but have not stayed there...yet.

• Liked — Free internet access
  • Disliked — Lack of quality service
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2008

New, very clean hotel with modern furniture. Nice staff, nice location. It's something similar to the W Hotel without all the hype. I was very happy and slept very well in their comfortable, clean beds with huge white comfitters.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2008

This small hotel is not only a great value, but has a great staff. From the doormen to the front desk to the managers, all are upbeat and helpful. The lobby is very modest but the rooms are lovely and very clean. The bathrooms are great, newly tiled, great shower heads, large and again very clean. The bathroom products are upscale.

There is a small bar with smart, engaged bartender as well as a restaurant which we didn't try. No pretenses here. The whole experience makes you feel your both at home and away. In a city of conventions and monstrous size hotels, this is a great space.

• Liked — cleanliness, great staff
  • Disliked — lobby is pretty uninviting
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2008

In a city full of hotels, design and service is what one needs to stand out from the rest. The historic Winecoff Hotel built in 1913 was the sight of the deadliest hotel fire in 1946. A 28 million dollar restoration of the structure produced a beautiful modern design that I'm sure the original builders would be proud of. Design of this boutique style hotel does indeed stand out from others in the area. However, the unprofessional, inattentive, and lazy service of this establishment will bring the vacancy this building has known during the past 61 years. Their website boasts of having "legendary, innovative and friendly, professional service." Upon arriving for check in at the hotel the Valet was no where to be found. Upon entering the hotel lobby, there was a female sitting behind the front desk, obviously to busy daydreaming to stand up and greet me. I very politely let her know I was there to check in and saw that her name tag said "Concierge Supervisor. " She couldn't get my registration printed and had to call somebody to rectify it, once the paper jam was removed about 5 minutes later she could continue. I went to my room which I had been checked in to and it had not yet been turned over by housekeeping from the last guests who had stayed. Upon going back down to the lobby and letting the supervisor know of the issue, she responded with "Oh, I was afraid of that. We've had some people call in sick today." While looking for another room a lady came in to inquire the whereabouts of the missing Valet and asked if she needed to move her car that she self parked on the street. The supervisor responded, "Ah, na, you straight. The valet should be back soon." ( you would never hear such verbiage across the street at the Ritz). Upon returning downstairs later that evening to ask about something, a male employee was sitting behind the desk to lazy to get up and greet me. This level of service continued til check out the next morning. The Valet took a very long time to retrieve my car since he didn't have a ticket for me (remember the Valet was M.I.A. when I checked in so I had to leave my keys with the front desk.) On a more positive note, the rooms are well appointed with fine finishes such as espresso bamboo paneling, Ostrich leather headboards, white limestone baths, black granite counter tops, Kohler rain shower heads , 32" LCD, ipod docking stations, honor bars, and my personal favorite Ermenegildo Zegna bath products. Hopefully, GM Thomas O'Leary, will actually train his staff on Customer Service, perhaps send them across the street to Ritz-Carlton University!

• Liked — Well appointed rooms
  • Disliked — Front Desk staff
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
molliefestus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2008

Stayed at the Ellis for the SEC Championship Game. Loved everything about it. It's very retro in it's decor, very intimate and tasteful. The rooms are not huge but was not an issue at all. High speed internet with built in ethernet cable. The bed was even more comfortably than the Westin's Heavenly beds, and that's saying a lot. The bathrooms are spectacular, with a very nice shower head, marble and very big. I have no complaints about this hotel at all. I loved the food as well. We had breakfast and a late night supper in our room. You MUST get the little miniature burgers, they are wonderful. Highly recommend this hotel for just about anyone. I will stay at this hotel now every time I travel to Atlanta. Walking distance to literally EVERYTHING as it's on the corner of Peachtree and Ellis Avenue. Easily walked to the Georgia Dome. It's smack dab in the middle of the best part of downtown, Planet Hollywood is a stones throw and many other restaurants as well.

• Liked — the bed
  • Disliked — no late night room service because they were 'too busy', but i picked it up as takeout instead
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Ellis Hotel? Share your experiences!