“Hip and Cool” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #124 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
Orlando, Florida
“Hip and Cool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This hotel is hip and cool with city vibe sophistication in the heart of Downtown Atlanta. It is nestled a block from famous Peachtree St. in close proximity to Olympic Park, CNN studios and many more attractions. The swanky XYZ lounge is housed in it’s lobby.

As you drive up to the lobby, you can park under the porte-cochere for quick check in or park in one of the many reserved spots in front of the hotel, or back parking lot. I’m sure the hotel will fix your parking ticket. After check in you are directed to the back parking lot accessible with your room key. Just waving the room key in front of the sensor will not get you in. I seen many cars do this. So did I, on the first try. Put the key close to the sensor almost touching it, then it will work. Be careful pulling up the machine, it is a close fit. Once in, there is ample parking. A back entrance gives direct access to the elevator or a single flight of stairs put you in the lobby.

The elevator’s floor is funky. I can imagine how this would look after a few adult beverages. Might be some head spinning. The dimly lit hall ways with dramatic long wand like light fixtures guide you to the rooms. The bed was soft and comfortable. Pillows were a little too soft for my likeness. A single thick blanket was sandwiched between flat sheets with a fitted sheet on the bottom. Air conditioning vent is pointed upwards in front of one window, which takes away from sitting by the window. A desk/workstation anchored one window. These long windows allow light and gave spectacular views of Atlanta Skyline. Bedside lights are very powerful. Laying directly under the fixture tends to get hot really fast.

The bath room is wrapped in black modern rectangular tile with black grout. It appears as one huge slab of stone. Linear shower drain offset to the corner allows for bathers to stand on slightly pitched tile for a comfortable shower experience. Glass enclosure prevents water from splashing onto the toilet. The toilet is a suction type that guarantees everything goes down. The above-counter round porcelain sink makes for mess free usage. Ceiling to counter height mirror creates a sense of infinity. Although, the hair dryer occupied a single hook; no other place to hang face towels. A ceiling to floor mirror hang off a barn style sliding door that closes off the bathroom and toilet from the vanity area for privacy. Very thoughtful and modern construction.

I did not visit the XYZ lounge, but this place rocks. The music can be heard throughout the hotel. I’m sure there are quiet times or as they say, when in Rome or Atlanta, join in. Very hip, cool, modern hotel with friendly and accommodating staff.

Room Tip: Be as far as possible from XYZ lounge.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

The hotel is well located, but most Altanta hotels are focused in the same area.

The place is very focused on hipness and design and it shows in the public areas and the hotel rooms. Generally it is positive but the rooms are a little too cleaver. The layout made it seem like you were walking through the bathroom to get to the rest of your hotel room.

They seem to think it is a great feature of the hotel that you can buy an over priced container of cereal in the lobby. I'd expect an included "breakfast" in this mid-range calibre of hotel.

My big complaint was the noise from lobby bar. A lobby bar seemed like a fun feature. But I was not happy when I could clearly hear the DJ's selections from my room on the third floor. The guy that answered the phone seemed surprised that I would want to have a music free room after 11pm. They turned the nob down a smidge, but the tunes were pumping till midnight. I can't understand how they could think this was acceptable.

Room Tip: I guess ask for a high floor - if they continue to run an event venue on the ground floor.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We have stayed in many Starwood properties all over the globe, and are not used to encountering this type of customer service or poor quality at a property. The water from our sink was hot only, which is not ideal for brushing your teeth, at all. The TV was scrambled and wires hanging from below (as if prior visitors had the same issue and was tried to be repaired). Many other visitors at the hotel had the same problem with their comcast TV stations- in room. Also, there were people staying on the 10th floor running down the halls screaming all night long.
(Noticed on a previous review the mgmt recommend staying on a higher level with less noise- does not help!) Upon calling the front desk about the issues, we were never even granted an apology (much less offered any solutions). This is by far our worst experience we have had with the Starwood family and is a subpar example of customer service.

Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Megan L, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Heather M,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. We certainly wish you had a better experience and sincerely apologize for the complications you encountered with your TV and bathroom water temperature during your stay. Our team was aware of the issues you described and have immediately addressed these to rectify the problems. Additionally, we strive to maintain a quiet environment so that our guests can relax, so we are very sorry we failed to quiet the group that disturbed you. Rest assured, we have worked directly with our team so that we may better prevent disturbances like these in the future. Again, we are very sorry to disappoint you, and we hope you will consider staying with us in the future so that we may make this experience up to you. All the best.
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I'm writing this review while staying at the hotel. Currently, many of the cable channels do not work properly. The solution from the front desk was that the football game that the rest of the country is watching is available to be viewed downstairs. I could watch the game "downstairs" at a Motel 6. This is not a solution. All I want to hear is "sorry for the inconvenience, we will fix it". I am not picky at all but I do expect some sort of acknowledgement of the inconvenience. Last night, we were serenaded by people singing Happy Birthday at the top of their lungs in the hallway at 2am. This happened off and on throughout the night. When staff came up, they were usually back in their room, only to come back out in a few. We have stayed in several W hotels and have no problem with the noise downstairs but c'mon...that's ridiculous. Finally, our room does not have cold water. So, enjoy brushing your teeth with warm water...real nice. I wonder how long it has been that way? I believe all of these issues are an endemic problem, likely managerial in nature. If CBS was out at other Starwood properties, it would be remedied as soon as they were aware of it. I guarantee that it will still be out next weekend when others are trying to watch a big NCAA/NFL game from the room that they paid for. I can tell based upon the apathy of the staff and general lack of acknowledgement of these issues diminishing the guest experience. I will be calling the home office to convey this experience and suggest that they look closer at the motivation of the staff.

Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Dear Phi450,
We are disheartened to hear of your dissatisfying experience at our hotel. Unfortunately, we were experiencing a city wide issue with our cable company that has now been resolved, and we are sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused you. We also apologize for the water temperature complication our encountered as this is very unusual for our hotel. Our engineering team immediately addressed this to correct the issue in all of our guest rooms. As you mentioned, our team did attempt on several occasions to address this particular group, and we are sorry you were continuously disturbed as we certainly strive to maintain a quiet atmosphere so all of our guests can have an enjoyable experience. While we wish you had a much better stay at our hotel, we hope that you will give us another try in the future so that we may deliver a much better experience that so many of our guests have grown fond of. All the best.
Italia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I am very pleased with the Aloft hotel in Atlanta. It is in a convenient location in Downtown. It has good sized and clean rooms. The bar in the lobby is very nice, always with music and people. Still, rooms are very quite and comfortable.I would recommend it.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
east coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I got this hotel on Priceline Name your Price for $70/night. It is one of the 3 star selections. I was there for a visit to Georgia State with my daughter so we needed something close to the school and downtown so I didn't have to rent a car.

It is a block from Peachtree, so you are in walking distance to many Downtown Atlanta amenities i.e. Centennial Park, CNN Center, etc.

It's an Aloft so it has the funky, urban, cool, vibe. The room was nicely decorated, clean, we had a view of the city. The workout room is great! A great variety of clean, working equipment. The front desk staff were friendly, energetic and knowledgeable. They make you feel like they enjoy working there.

A couple of items for improvement:
1) Shelving in the bathroom. There was no where for my daughter and I to place our cosmetics. The area around the sink is very narrow. They put a refrigerator under the sink. That should be moved to the closet and some shelving placed under the sink. It was quite inconvenient.
2) The only window treatment is a room darkening shade. When you pull those down, the room is 100% dark. It's great for people like me who are light sensitive in the morning. But the room needs some kind of a night light. If you want to go to the bathroom at night, use your cell phone for light.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Woodstock, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Purposely stark, industrial, and modernistic, the Aloft is my kind of hotel. Functional and hip without trying too hard. The rooms were big enough and had all the things I need; enough plugs, good TV, comfortable bed, and good shower. The rooms are approaching the need for renovations, not badly, but frayed around the edges. I wish they had full service restaurant. The bar had a bar menu, the local food court was closed on Sunday's, so I ended up ordering take out delivered to the room. The area around the hotel is also stark, but I guess Atlanta is just like that. The staff was as friendly as you can get. Really seemed genuine how nice they are (but I guess Atlanta is just like that!) Short walk from MARTA station you can take from the airport.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business

Been to Aloft Atlanta Downtown? Share your experiences!