“my stay at the aloft in atlanta” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #139 of 188 hotels in Atlanta
Ann Arbor
“my stay at the aloft in atlanta”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I travel for work. What I need in an acceptable room is: good lighting, hooks in the bathroom, drawers for my clothes, some kind of music system to drown out the dead silence, reading materials about the city I'm staying in, good lighting, and helpful signage in the hotel.
The Aloft Atlanta is a very hip and attractive hotel in the lobby. The pool is small and the water much too warm, but a welcome respite after a long day working. However comfortable the bed is, the room is severely lacking in adequate light to work by, storage, and creature comforts as simple as making the room feel slightly homey. If you have a great rate to stay here then do. But I can barely find my belongings in this room that is large but so underlit I'm feeling like I'm staying in a cave. Maybe this is the new modern, but my eyes are struggling.
Signage is utterly lacking...I think the owners assume we know where to find what we are looking for.
Charming hip lobby. Don't eat here but drinks are affordable.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

31 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I picked the Atlanta Aloft for a few reasons. The most important reasons were location and the Aloft brand.

My first Aloft stay was in Tallahassee. I was very impressed by the decor and hip vibe. So when my family and I decided to do a little sightseeing in Atlanta we picked Aloft. Location is great for those looking to sightsee with kids. It was an easy walk to Coca-Cola, the aquarium, CNN and the Olympic park. It was also super easy to walk to dinner. We never felt unsafe and we stuck to the perimeter of Peachtree area restaurants and the before mentioned tourist traps.

Now the not so good. I'm an easy reviewer so for me to give three stars it's got to be remarkable. First of all my husband had to stand around waiting to be checked in while the front desk person spent quite a bit of time on a phone call that should have been placed on hold. They seemed to be understaffed.

When we went up to the room we went up the elevator with a security guard carrying towels (again understaffed) we thought "that's interesting" and forgot about it. We remembered that security guard when we went to take showers and there was ONE towel in the bathroom. Towels were delivered quickly though. Not too sure what's that about. On the topic of the bathroom the body wash and shampoo dispensers were almost empty. Also the sink for a double queen was exceptionally small. Only one person at a time. No room for toiletries.

More gripes. One blind was broken. No smiles from the staff. The atmosphere of the lobby was a little depressing. The SPG channel was not working so we couldn't watch any programming discussing city highlights. We took the SPG channel for granted as we noticed when it was not available. Walls were paper thin (I'm so grateful we brought our portable stereo...I think they were dancing next to us).

The hotel is beautiful. The beds were heavenly. The hotel has got the looks but lacks the substance.

Expect to go out for all meals. The hotel food selection (located in the lobby) is poor and again service is not with a smile. Consider packing your own breakfast if you want a early start doing your touring. No room service at Alofts.

But, you may want to take my gripes with a grain of salt for the future. They recently opened and are likely working out the kinks. Keep checking the low star reviews to see if the common complaints become less frequent. If they do check it out. If not you may want to wait until they get it together. Good luck with your decision! If you go there anyways it's certainly tolerable. I've just been around the block a few times and I made these observations through my experience. Good luck!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

As an SPG platinum member, I was terribly disappointed with all aspects of this stay. Upon parking, the trash cans in the parking area were overflowing with trash spilling out all over e place. Huge dog poop was on the grass right beside the sidewalk to enter the hotel. Lobby area was unclean as were elevators and halls. Staff was not professional or friendly. The check in was lengthy and awful. Room was not ready at check in time, given another room, get to it, find it only has 1 bed, not 2 as it should have, go back the lobby, while dragging luggage and child, sit even more time, and then get a standard queen room, not the queen suite that was originally booked. No recognition was given or mentioned for being SPG platinum. Room was not cleaned properly, mirror had hand marks/smudges all over it. Pool area was not clean and pool itself is extremely small. I will not be back here nor can I recommend this place to anyone. Completely disappointed!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel has spent a great deal of money on the decor and ambience, but the lack of funding for training is so glaringly obvious that it is next to impossible to stay here. The two stars I gave it were for the cleanliness of the room upon arrival. However our sink was clogged,our room did not get cleaned until we complained, and when I called to ask what wan wrong with the wifi I was told "There's nothing I can of about it ". The front desk is so unresponsive that I had time to get angry, research the number for Starwood corporate, and hold for a corporate representative without the front desk phone being answered. This hotel needs to hire more experienced and courteous staff members and train those that have potential appropriately.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was afraid the stay was going to be bad when I walked in. The check in counter was backed up with people and the staff was not really working fast or apologizing for the long wait. The lobby had the feel of a night club atmosphere. That probably wouldn't have bothered me so much if I would have been greeted by a friendly person.

After you step out of the elevator you walk into a hallway that is dark with little lighting. I guess they were trying to carry on with the night club theme but it created an uncomfortable feeling. The room wasn't any better. It was small and made you a little claustrophobic. They had placed the refrigerator in the bathroom. I don't really want to get a drink or food when it is four feet from the toilet

In many ways the hotel ruined the trip. I felt like I had taken my family into an MTV party and we were trapped there for four days. And, it was a very expensive mistake too. If I was not there on business I would have cut my losses and found a different hotel.

I will not stay at this hotel ever again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Jonesboro, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We decided to try a staycation for our 23rd anniversary and chose the ALOFT. when we arrived we had to go around to the back where there are no clear instructions on parking. we get inside and was met by a host that was less than professional he proceeded to carry on a conversation with a young lady( a co-worker) standing at the front when we checked in. He tells us that parking is $20.00 and not to pay the machine out front. Good thing we did not. After checking in we went to the bar the bartender was less than professional as she did the very thing ordering dinner and carrying on a conversation with someone sitting at the bar it took 20 minutes for her to even ask what we were having. The hotel does not have room service, and the walls are paper thin. when we checked out they charged me twice and told me it would be 7-10 days before it drop off. When I inquired why I was charged twice they said they charged me when I checked in as a hold then they charged me again when I left. I can not recommend this hotel. they have a lot of work to do before making a good nome for themselves

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Came in for a conference, several of my colleagues received cheaper rates. When I asked about their best rate guarantee they told me the others had booked through Internet sites so no I couldn't have those rates. There is no restaurant associated with thus hotel, a cooler with stale sandwiches are available. The pool is the size of a postage stamp! There were no information packets / brochures for tourists. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Really no special amenities that make this hotel worth the $299.00/night. I wouldn't stay here again and I definitely wouldn't recommend it to anyone....overpriced and lacking in customer service!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Been to Aloft Atlanta Downtown? Share your experiences!