“Add to a Bar Crawl” 4 of 5 stars

Atlanta, Georgia
10 attraction reviews
“Add to a Bar Crawl”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

My husband and I were on a pub crawl, with just him and myself and we decided to go to an area called the Virginia Highlands. This was the first placed we stopped at. The crowd was very light (Maybe because it was on a Monday night) and it appeared to be the regulars.

We ordered a couple of beers and just chilled out. Although smoking is allowed, the bar didn’t seem to have the after smell of smoke. It looked very clean and had a nice amount of space. The out door seating is very limited but nice to at least have that option and it has a flat screen available as well. It also has an upstairs area with a flat screen but I believe that is only for private parties.

One part of this bar that I was very impressed with, was the live Karaoke band, which was going on down stairs. The actual venue downstairs is called the “10 High Club” which is connected to the Dark Horse. Because of this venue, I believe that it really made this bar, not just a bar. Now, just for the record, I am no where near a heavy metal enthusiast. I usually listen to R&B, Rap, Soft Rock, but I am open to trying other things. I must say, that this was a very good experience. If you have every any your life, every wanted to be apart of a rock band, there is your chance. If you enjoy doing Karaoke, there is your chance. Just imagine having a live rock band back you up and to top it off, the lead singer of that band is helping you out as well. So if you are bombing, no one would know it, because of all the back up help you got going on. I had a chance to talk with some of the people whom actually did it and they gave me a little advice for the next time (so I wouldn’t be such a scary cat). They said look at some of the songs, pic one, practice it at home, come back and have fun with it. Everyone that got on stage truly looked like they enjoyed themselves. I think that it usually cost money to get into the 10 High Club, however, that night it didn’t. Also, I think the first song you do is free but you have to pay after that. Please keep in mind that although the band has over 100 songs to choose from, they don’t have every song, so you would have to pick from their list (which is a good list).

Anyway, I didn’t taste the food at Dark Tavern but I got a couple of Blue Moon’s, which was about $9 total. AT the 10 High Club, I thought that the drinks were a little pricey. I got a shot of tequila (which came in a mouth wash cup) and it was $5.75. The cup was not filled up at all, so that was the last one I got.

Also, the 10 High Club was pretty grungy looking. It was organized and all but you definitely knew you were in a basement. For the ladies, the floor is not carpeted at all (concrete) and all the girls there had on an array of outfits. Sundress, jeans, shorts, heels, flats, flip flops, whatever, so dress to what makes you feel good. Also, the rest room sucks. They have two stalls. One of them was turned to the side, so it was impossible for you to use. The other one didn’t work at all. So, I would just go upstairs and use Dark Horse’s restroom (which really wasn’t an inconvenience at all).

Anyway, it is a really cool spot and I planned on going again so that I can rock my song.

Visited July 2012

Dallas, GA
15 attraction reviews
“rude service, don't bother”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

We were in a group of six who went to this tavern on a Saturday afternoon. Three of us ordered beers. After they were delivered, we asked the waitress for change in quarters to feed the parking meter. This is in a neighborhood notorious for parking tickets being given as soon as the meter runs out. The waitress said she didn't think so, conferred with the bartender who agreed--no change to be given. Don't know why, just know they refused. We wouldn't go back. Why bother, when there are plenty of bars around serving beer and not being rude to paying customers?

13 attraction reviews
“Awesome bar in the Highlands. Great...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010 via mobile

Awesome bar in the Highlands. Great music. Avg beer prices. Don't start a tab. They'll jip you and your party.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 attraction reviews
“Overrated, overcrowded”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2008

It's loud, crowded, and full of throngs of people shoving to get to the relatively small bar for the size of the room. I don't understand the draw of this place. There are much better places to drink in VaHi like Hand in Hand, Neighbors, or Fontaines. Crowd is young- college students and yuppies.

Louisiana
19 attraction reviews
“Very Social Place to Drink”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2006

Oh, wow! I didn't know Dark Horse was listed in here or in Frommer's. How interesting! I visited this place this summer and wanted to recommend it to out-of-towners and people who are new to Atlanta.

My friends in Atlanta who are, I guess, professionals hang out here regulary on the weekends. It's large, full of cigarette smoke, crowded, and the drinks are strong. The people, who love this place, drink a lot. It's best to take a cab and not to drive. The negative thing about this place is that there was vomit in the sink in the women's bathroom so you couldn't wash your hands. It may be a good idea to bring a wet wipe in your purse.

Also Dark Horse is in the Virginia Highlands (or just "Highlands") part of town, and is not in Buckhead. My friends in Atlanta like hanging out in the Highlands and Midtown much more than Buckhead. For a fun night I recommend that you take a cab out here and then proceed to bar hop.