“Just okay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown

You added Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown to your Saves list
Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   54 Peachtree Street SW, Atlanta, GA 30303 (Formerly Comfort Inn & Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #112 of 190 Hotels in Atlanta
Matthews, North Carolina
“Just okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Our reasons for coming to Atlanta were the Aquarium, the Zoo and The World of Coca-Cola. The best thing about the hotel is that it offers a free shuttle to/from those attractions. Our driver, Tony, was very helpful. We were there for a Saturday and Sunday night. The shuttle stops running at 4pm on Sunday. We were at the Aquarium until 6pm on Sunday. I called the hotel for shuttle and was told it stopped running at 4pm. They suggested we take a taxi. Don't. We hoofed it and it was good exercise and less than 15 minutes - cut through the top of the Marta station and save yourself 10 minutes. The zoo you definitely need the shuttle, at least from what I could tell. I am not familiar with Atlanta but it seemed like it would be a 45 min walk one way.

Our first room they put us on the 2nd floor, right outside the lounge area. We have three young boys. The lounge is open until 11pm, except on Sunday, and opens at 6ish for the free breakfast. NOT A GOOD ROOM LOCATION FOR CHILDREN. Luckily my husband realized this as soon as he saw where the room was and we got moved to the 12th floor. The elevator is very slow so be prepared to wait. We used the stairs for most, except when we were tired and only used the elevator only to go up. The beds are comfy and the room is average clean. It's nice that there is a separate tv area with a pull out sofa. The mattress on the pull out is a joke. I had to put down blankets and a sleeping bag we brought from home before I put the sheets on, so you could sleep on it. If driving, and air mattress is a better way to go - either on it for height or just on the floor.

The hotel is located Downtown and it's a pretty seedy area. Most of the shops are closed, homeless people are sleeping on the streets, the Underground is a joke and there is no real place to eat, except Johnny Rockets, within walking distance. We did find a pizza place, within walking distance, called Momma Mia's that I was little worried about, but turned out to be better than decent. My husband had to work on Monday and the walk from the Aquarium/World of Coca-Cola wasn't bad with the three kids, but I would only do during the daylight, especially with kids or by myself. We are from NY and have spent many days in NYC, subways, etc, and this was kind of the same, just smaller.

Breakfasts were included but busy no matter when we went. Always had a wait, which is fine, and only one woman usually working by herself. Give her a break, she has a lot to do. Also, the valet parking was a nice feature, and with the shuttle we never used our own car, but at $27/night, it's pricey.

Oh, and did I forget to mention how LOUD MARTA is? Oh my goodness!!! The horn and the train shook the room, on the 12th floor, truly. Luckily I bring our own white noise with us, which only helped a bit, but it was better than nothing. I called the desk to ask how late the train whistle went and the response was "Train, whistle? I'm not sure..." If you have heard it, you will know I am not the first person to ask this question.

Room Tip: For Families, do not get a room on the 2nd floor as it's near the lounge/breakfast area which is...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kdw54, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
On behalf of the entire team of the Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, we would like to offer our sincere apologies for our hotel not living up to your expectations. We thank you for choosing to stay with us on this visit and for sharing your thoughts in this review of our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Me and two of my friends drove up to see P!nk in concert. While trying to find our hotel I was pulled over and ticketed for making a right on a green light. They police officer NEVER asked to see proof of registration or insurance. He didn't even ask why I was driving a vehicle that wasn't registered to me. It was my friend's who was sitting in the passenger seat. He told me that I was being pulled over because I turned when there was a sign that said "No turns". My friend held up her iPhone and said "We're so sorry we were listening to this (GPS) and it told us to turn" He snapped back "You're lucky she (me) didn't tell me that because I would have given her another ticket for distractible driving!" He took my license and returned with a citation that cost me $194! He let the suburban that was behind go without a ticket. We watched from our hotel room as they ticketed 9 cars in 30 minutes. That is beyond ridiculous. The hotel staff was incredible. So nice and accommodating. As for the "shady" people that all of the reviewers were talking about, they didn't bother us at all. Yes they were around, but I was more concerned with the cops picking on the out-of-towners than a bum asking for a quarter. Needless to say I will NOT be back anytime soon. While I highly recommend this hotel, I do not recommend the are because of the un-welcoming police presence. As a side-note my friends wanted to J-Walk and I refused for fear of another ticket. An employee at the hotel told me that they watched a person get arrested for j-walking.

Room Tip: We didn't here the train at all, but the room was rather stuffy because you can't control th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Kdw54, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Greetings Mom2twingrls,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown! I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and saddened to hear about your experience with the APD. We do hope to see you again soon , give us a call on your way back in to town and we can help with any streets that are turn challenged!
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Thought this would be a good location down town but area adjacent to Atlanta underground is seedy and most stores, and restaurants have shut down. Clearly this part of the city is in decline and most operators seem to have moved to midtown.
The room on the fifth floor 502 had dirty carpets and sofa. The saving grace was the bed which was very comfortable. The tap in the shower was almost inoperable and it was nearly impossible to set a comfortable water temperature. Also I must again take exception to only providing plastic or paper cups in the room and only foam or paper cups and plates with plastic implements for breakfast. This is poor form for any hotel at this standard. Frustration is only increased by refusing to allow glasses to be removed from the bar area for use in your room this just added insult to injury.
On a positive note we found all the staff, particularly the breakfast ladies to be very friendly and helpful, they are the redeeming feature of this hotel.
Possibly a gem in its hey day but area would need to improve dramatically for us to stay again.

Room Tip: Choose a higher room to avoid noise from street.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown! The Underground Atlanta attraction is thriving , they are currently at 70% occupancy with new stores and restaurants coming each month. Our staff is our greatest asset and I have passed your comments on to them as well. Thank you again for choosing Fairfield Inn & Suites!
Cary, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I took my parents and my kids to Atlanta to go to the World of Coke, The Georgia Aquarium, and the Federal Reserve Museum. The hotel was in downtown at a metro station and at the entrance to the underground. Although the area is a little sketchy - the guard at the door makes sure that the hotel is safe and the area is safe.

The Head Valet/Conceirge (in the red coat) was the best. He made sure that we were taken care of. He recommended restaurants and told us what to do and what not to do in Atlanta.

They did not let us make the mistake of driving around too much. They used their shuttle to drop us off at the places we wanted to go - even to and from restaurants. It made the week much easier and much less expensive.

There is no swimming pool - but they shuttled us over to the Marriott Marquis to let us swim in their pool. The kids were thrilled with this.

The rooms were clean and LARGE. We had a great time.

Room Tip: We loved our room that overlooked the COKE sign.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Kdw54, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Greetings Momma_Christa,

Thank you for your comments about our Concierge- Alphonso; he loves his job and ensuring that our guests are able to make the most out of their trip. I am pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy all of the attractions that Atlanta Downtown has to offer and we hope to see you and the family on the next trip to Atlanta.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I should have looked at the area this hotel was In. There were a lot of very shady characters walking around. The location was really close to underground atlanta which was something new. The staff at the front desk was horrible. I've never been treated so poorly at a marriot, when asked for my ID and I handed the lady my military ID she rolled her eyes at me and snapped it back on the counter. The rooms weren't too bad, the bathroom was spacious, and the bed was AMAZING! Overall, I wouldn't even consider staying here again.

• Stayed July 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

All the staff-- from the valet to the front-desk staff to the people who keep the breakfast room stocked and clean --were absolutely great, friendly, enthusiastic, attentive, genuinely helpful. I've never been greeted and treated so well! I appreciate the way Marriott preserved the shell of the historic building and some of the interior features. The room wasn't perfect but it was fine (coffee maker didn't work, sofa looked grungy, and the refrigerator was missing one leg so it rocked when you opened it), but the breakfast was plentiful and the location was super-convenient. I'd give the service an A+ myself.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Vicki L,

Thank you for sharing your experience! Our staff is our greatest asset and I have shared your comments with them! I would like to get some more information on the room that you stayed in so that I can make check on the items in the room that you mentioned; at your convenience please email at jgrover@alliancehospitality.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed there on our way home from honeymoon. Alphonso was amazing, very helpful and made sure we were taken care of! Rooms were clean and beautiful! Great location across the street from underground mall!Will definitely stay here when in Atlanta!

• Stayed July 2013
Kdw54, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Greetings Rickdragon,

Congratulations on the Wedding and thank you for staying with us on your way home from your honeymoon! I have shared your comments with Alphonso and the rest of the staff! We hope to have the pleasure to serve you again on your next trip through Atlanta!

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown? Share your experiences!