“A Bad Ghost, Bad Technology, Bad Idea!” 1 of 5 stars

Twelve Atlantic Station
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   361 17th St, Atlanta, GA 30363 (Atlantic Station)   |
Ranked #72 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
A TripAdvisor Member
“A Bad Ghost, Bad Technology, Bad Idea!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2006

For a brand new hotel and even more so, a "new" brand to be this technology inept is unbeliveable. They have definately named their newest technology GHOST correctly - as it is totally non-existent. Ordered room service using GHOST - it never arrived. Telephone did not work correctly (if even at all). Tried to go down a couple of floors to visit a colleague, could not get there since room key forces you to stay on your floor (dumbest hotel idea ever!) Had problems getting into my room, since the key access was very spotty (and that is putting it mildly). The staff acts if they could give a crap about how the guest feels, and expected me and some of my co-workers to just shrug off the problems as hotel opening jitters.

I have had better telephone and wireless services at the Hampton Inn off of I-75 over this "modern" hotel. You are supposed to use GHOST to give you dining and entertaiment recommendations..I ended up using the yellow pages, it was more effective. I mean, really, who was the braniac that decided to go hands off the personal service and put a computer in charge, and then expect it to work properly. By the way, you would think they would actually train the staff to help the guest use GHOST rather than be arrogant jerks that acted surprised when food did not arrive, when you had to pick the door to get in, etc. (and the list goes on).

I will never return to TWELVE, and I have made sure that our entire company never books rooms when we travel from California to Atlanta on business ever again.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2006

Glanced at the latest Hot List and was surprised to this property on the list. Twelve Hotel needs a complete overhaul on the basics mainly customer service and should forget the computer glitzy GHOST system. Here are just a few of the challenges we encountered: requested my valeted car via computer at a specific time--their preference--and car was never there; asked for simple directions to airport and bell cap didn't know; requested suite with sofa bed and still had to further ask for bedding; brand new appliances were not in working order. Have to agree with other posts this place needs work. I was offended by their gratuity chart found on the desk next to the computer. And Twelve Hotels and Residences should not even consider a second location, Centennial Park until service is addressed.

Tried to enjoy the food which was surprisingly good but the Lobby Restaurant/Bar was loud and not particularly appetizing. The happy hour hip crowd spills over into the restaurant. Next time in Atlanta, Twelve will not be on my hot list.

• Stayed April 2006
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2006

I stayed here for several nights erecently for work.

This place is a service disaster. The rooms are really nice but it is irrevelvent when the shocking service takes over.

It started with an undermanned check-in where I waited 15mins for service, I then went to my room which would not open with the key card, I flagged somone down and sat on the floor for 20mins while they tried to "fix" it. This included a guy sticking wire under the door to try and open, all while I was sitting on the floor in the hall. I eventually went downstairs and asked them to get me another room.

As I mentioned impressed with the room itself, but then the crap service started again. Rang to get a bathrobe, which should have been in my room and this took 35 mins and three phone calls to have someone thrust one in my face when I opend the door. The apparently "heated" pool according to the room material. When I went to reception to ask directions as the third floor was so badly signposted I found out it was not heated.

Over the next four days the service ran from forgotten laundry, incorrect instructions from the service phone centre, a broken phone, no wake-up call, much room service delivered in Plastic containers, and many rude staff. I coukd go on and on.

This hotel is such a disappointment. It could be so good but is really, really bad. Worst service from a hotel that I have ever stayed for business ever.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2006

Unfortunately, "Twelve" gets a "one" in my book! Hopefully the ex-Ritz Carlton execs read this because I have a suggestion. Before opening 25 more hotels, focus on making your first two a success. As we all know, brand is built on knowing your customers, and giving them the level of service they expect. Your investors will appreciate in the long run.

The concept is good, however, the developer, who knows how to build condos, has a LOT to learn about the hotel industry. My stay was for a weekend and my choice was stay at the new hotel and support a local company as they grow. I made a very poor choice. The service was HORRIBLE! I checked in at 3pm, told my room would be ready in one hour and to go shop. They took my mobile number and would "call" when it was ready. WOW, now that is service. At 7pm, NO CALL. I came back to the front desk, and they had NO clue as to what was promised. AND they were really, REALLY rude about it.

In addition, the hotel has a policy that does not allow people to go floor to floor. Your hotel key only allows access to YOUR floor and the ground floor. OK a little strange for a HOTEL, and the kicker, they could not accommodate our group of 3 on one floor. Boy, I would hate to bring my family there! And, don’t park your car with the valet. They will be sure to loose your keys, loose your car, and then, say, don’t get upset at us! Not once, not twice, 4 TIMES! Umm, then who should I get upset at?????

Usually I’m a believer that you get what you pay for. Clearly I didn’t get what I paid for with Twelve!

I rate this hotel a 1 at best. Stay at the Sheraton midtown, the accommodations are nicer overall, and Starwood has slated the hotel to cover to the W brand in 2007.

Twelve, your FIRED (that was an easy decision

• Stayed March 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2006

Having attended 'Lobby' (the hotel's restaurant) for dinner a few months back, I thought that the hotel would be a great place to stay, for me and my 10, 30-something year old friends, visitors from LA for 3 days. The building is striking from the outside: Tall glass and steel, in a newly created part of midtown, with shops and restaurants all around. From the inside, dim blue light, granite counters and floors, and glass and steel grace the foyer and restaurant (which was quite good). Not to mention a very vibrant and diverse social scene at the bar. All seemed really good, right? WRONG!

From the time of booking (which they got wrong, twice!), to the repeatedly chaotic valet parking, to the ill-informed manager who knew nothing of the room services, the place is probably one of the most disorganized and mismanaged places I've ever encountered. Granted, they are new and still trying to iron out the kinks, but this was rediculous! When we took our wrong rooms (as none others were available), the phone system and computer systems were down for ~24 hours, so we could not order food, nor request our car ahead of schedule, nor ask for the linens they promised (which were never delivered), nor ask for the rooms to be made up (which also never happened), nor get the AC repaired, etc etc etc...

Oh, and the card keys they gave us, kept wiping out, so we had to repeatedly ask for new keys - and - they have this system whereby your room key only gets you to your own floor, so when they split your party over several floors (as was asked NOT to do!), have fun trying to get to each other!

So, all in, the hotel is beautifully created, the beds are comfy, and the finishes wonderful, but really, a hotel is all about service, and feeling comfortable, and this place did exactly the opposite.

• Stayed March 2006

Been to Twelve Atlantic Station? Share your experiences!