“Children's museum great for crawlers and up!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #58 of 143 Attractions in Atlanta
Type: Children's Museums, Museums
marietta, ga
“Children's museum great for crawlers and up!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

We have been attending the children's musuem since my son was 9 months old. He absolutely LOVES it. When I first went I thought it would be way above him but they have a special 2 and under room. It was fantastic I immediately got a membership! My son loves the water table and the train table. After you are done having a fun day enjoy a picnic in the park across the street.

Atlanta, GA
14 attraction reviews
“Poor Customer Service - would never go back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

I work in the downtown area and wanted to stop by momentarily while my son was there for a field trip. Much to my surprise, I was made the $13 entrance fee to spend 15 minutes with my son. When I wrote the administration a letter regarding this situation, I was told I would be reimbursed the $13.00. It has been over a year since this unfortunate incident and I have yet to be reimbursed.

Atlanta
“Not a Museum but fun for 5 yrs and under”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

I was expecting a museum, but this is just a play area for kids under 5. There aren't even signs explaining the exhibits (if you can actually call them exhibits).. It's not very big either so you can easily do everything in a couple of hours. I thought it was a bit expensive $11 per person considering the size and the lack of organization. The highlight was a guy playing drums and telling a fairly confusing story about a dragon. The drums were good though. I would have felt ok paying $5 a person. If money isn't a consideration and your kids are under 5 then it is a good time.

DAYTON OHIO
“waste of money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2007

the worst museum in the world. very unorganized. kids running around unattended. staff impolite with the children. highlight of the day was meeting AKON who was not there to enjoy the museum. overall experience AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jamestown, Tennessee
17 attraction reviews
“A Wonderful Museum for a Fantastic Afternoon With the Kids!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2007

I think the Imagine It Children's Museum of Atlanta is one of the most fantastic places you can take younger children. It is located one block down Baker Street from the infamous and overcrowded Georgia Aquarium, on the other side of the Coke Museum, and across the corner from Centennial Olympic Park from the 1996 Summer Olympics.

This place is most specifically designed for the 8 and under crowd, but it is an absolutely fantastic way to let the kids spend an afternoon engaged in their imaginations. Whether we go for an hour or for 6 hours, it is never enough time for my girls. They could come day after day and never tire of this place.

This museum technically IS one large room, but I think it is laid out so very well for what really isn't THAT large a place. There are beautiful train sets that my daughter spends hours enjoying; an intricate ball machine complete with operating crane in which my oldest remains fascinated; the coolest moldable sand you will ever lay eyes upon (available for sale in the gift shop and well worth a $30 bucket to take home); a food area with hundreds of pieces of molded plastic food that starts in the orchard, then goes onto the truck, progresses into the grocery store, and ends up in the kitchen; painting on plexiglass-covered walls; a water area and a tree house specifically for the little ones; a space for traveling exhibits such as Arthur or Sesame Street; and plenty of multicultural events and storytimes hosted throughout the day. And this is only a small sampling of the other activities in which your children will become engaged.

I love the urban feel in this place as many of the interactive events hosted by some of the friendliest and most enthusiastic museum employees are geared for city children hailing from a variety of cultures.

In addition to a wonderful afternoon far less stressful than fighting the crowds at the aquarium, you will find two special treats for patrons of the Children's Museum. These include a Chick Fil A restaurant inside that is much cheaper than anything at the aquarium, and access to discounted parking with your paid museum ticket!

I've been slightly disappointed with a few of the traveling exhibits they have hosted here, which isn't necessarily the fault of the museum itself. I didn't find the Sesame Street exhibit to be all that interactive for the kids. They certainly didn't mind it while they were there to play with other things, but this particular exhibit would not have been worth any special trip just to see it.

And my only other "complaint" which is also not at all the fault of the museum, and they generally have most of the exhibits staffed with helpful and friendly personnel to help combat some of these issues; is that there appears to be an overabundance of spoiled, misbehaving kids here. There seems to be significantly higher-than-usual instances of kids not sharing or all out snatching or hoarding; hitting, shoving, and pushing; kids being deliberately destructive and disrespectful of each other's creations; as well as parents too busy socializing amongst each other to properly monitor their children's questionable behavior.

Overall, I do find the atmosphere here far more relaxed than any other urban attractions in Atlanta or elsewhere; but I DO recommend interacting with your children while you are here. Not only will each of you have a more rewarding and worthwhile experience, but hopefully you can stave off some of the naughtiness you are bound to see from some of the other kids.

My family truly enjoys this museum and no trip through Atlanta is complete without a stop here. Again, this museum is free for us as we have reciprocal benefits through another children's museum, and we do take advantage of the discounted parking rates; so not only is this a fun afternoon, but it works out to be a tremendous value as well.

Next time you are in Atlanta with the kids, definitely give this museum a shot. You may find that your kids even prefer it to the aquarium or the zoo.... Enjoy!