“much worse than last year” 3 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #8 of 188 hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersGold level
Savannah, Georgia
“much worse than last year”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2007

I had just gotten back from the Orlando Ritz-Carlton, and I needed a place to stay in Atlanta, so I got this InterContinental which I had stayed in four times before. The first and second time I stayed here, it was excellent. The rooms were in perfect condition. The third and fourth times, it got a bit dull. Now my fifth time, I found cracks in the walls, trash on the floor, and the staff was shy, somewhat confusing, and slow. Yes, the hotel design is very modern, and the rooms and bathrooms are very roomy with a lot of marble and separate tub and shower. However, with cracks in the walls and the door slowly rotting and poor maintenance, I give change it from 4-star to 3-star. I bet next time I stay here, it will be down to 2-star. Right across the street is the Grand Hyatt Buckhead. It is a little bit older and the bathroom may be a little bit smaller, but it has been kept in fairly perfect condition for the past several years. The InterContinental has been open for only 3, maybe 4 years, and it looks like it is at least 10 years old.

• Liked — the hotel and room design
  • Disliked — the fact that it is depreciating so quickly
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

1,107 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2007

My husband booked a night at the Intercontinental through Priceline for our anniversary. We had never used Priceline before and were a bit nervous about the reception we would get at the hotel after reading reviews of some who had done the same. We were very pleasantly surprised. No reference was made to booking through a 3rd party, our room type request was honored and we were made to feel very welcome. The room was beautiful, with a wonderful view of the gardens below. Make sure you take advantage of the soaker tub in your room. The linens were luxurious, had a wonderful night's sleep. The front of the room (bathroom) did let a little of the hallway noise through, but nothing to be bothered about once you entered the open sleeping area. Overall it was a great stay! Got directions printed out by concierge for restaurants we were going to. Did the self -park, not bad prices considering you are in Buckhead. Overall loved the stay and would definitely go back.

• Liked — Centrally located, beautiful rooms
  • Disliked — can't think of a thing
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2007

This is my second time staying at the Intercontinental Buckhead, the last was a year ago. Just like the last time I stayed at this hotel, everything was absolutely perfect. The room is large, wonderfully decorated and furnished with a fantastic bed and bathroom with separate marble shower and large soaking tub. It is the most comfortable room I have ever stayed in with plenty of room. The room as well as the hotel is kept immaculate. The service is first rate and nothing is forgotten down to the turn down service which refreshes your towels and leaves you ice. The staff is always very nice and helpful. This is without a doubt one of my favorite hotels anywhere in the world and I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else in Atlanta. It easily beats the Ritz and Four Seasons and you will be glad you stayed there.

• Liked — Everything in the room is perfect, from the decor to the furnature to the size
  • Disliked — There is nothing that I dont like about this hotel, class all the way
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2007

Beautiful hotel, incredible bar, nice rooms, bathrooms and bath products. We stayed in a club room, bedding in club was unreal- maybe best of any hotel I have stayed in. Gym is good (free weights, several machines, and plenty of cardio...good AC in the room and plenty of TVs. According to girlfriend, the spa is great as well. Nice Escalade shuttle to take you anywhere within two miles, but be prepaired to wait 15-20 minutes for it. My bill had an inaccurate charge on it, so check carefully. Overall, better than Westin Buckhead and Grand Hyatt Buckhead; maybe tied with Buckhead Ritz.

• Liked — Club room bedding
  • Disliked — long wait for shuttle
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Frankin, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2007

I take travel seriously. When booking a trip, I always adhere to a certain set of guidelines I've devised to help ensure atleast a near perfect experience. Although I rarely travel to Atlanta, I've visited this vibrant city enough to realize that Buckhead is THE BEST address to call home while away from my home. Although never having stayed at an Intercontinental before, I decided to give this property a fair shot mainly because of it's location. It atleast had to offer a better experience than my last stay at The Ritz Carlton Buckhead. But could the Intercontinental come close to my incredible stay at The Four Seasons Hotel located in midtown from a couple of years ago? All I can say is that everything lies in the details. The Intercontinental is certainly light years away from even coming close to a near-Heavenly experience. If you decide to stay at this property, I encourage you to take a close look at the details. The linens are standard grade and no where near the "Italian" sheets that they claim to use. They certainly weren't Frette. The mattress served up the worst night sleep I've ever had in a hotel. The hardware on the doors and throughout the bath was second rate. The wood finishes, color schemes, carpet, and plastic corner guards made the room feel cheap. The shower was nothing like the showers at other high-end hotels. The food on the Club Level was actually disgusting. I had a much better breakfast at the one Courtyard by Marriott that I actually had a pleasure of staying in once. But most importantly, the service fell short of what a hotel at this level should be offering. Oh, they tried. Yes, indeed. These are fine folks doing the best they can. When it comes to service (or lack thereof), I start at the top.....with corporate management. I believe the level of a staff's efforts is a mirror image of their leaders. Where is the training? Where is the thoughtfulness? Where were the standards? If only The Four Seasons could move itself to Buckhead. Next time, I'll select substance over location.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2007

This is a classic, elegant hotel set in the heart of Buckhead. The physical properties of the hotel were excellent: from the bathroom to the bed linens everything was top-notch. The only pitfall was that our room was not serviced and we had to call the front desk to find out what happened to housekeeping. They eventually showed up while we were out to dinner. However, nothing was replenished: no towels, coffee, soap etc...Very strange and not in character with what one would expect. Another minor complaint is that the coffee was your typical chain hotel with the powdered creamer. The complimentary coffee was only available until 7:30 in the morning in the lobby. Not the best set up for coffeeholics.

• 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2007

We stayed here for 2 nights for a quick getaway/anniversary with friends. The hotel is beautiful, location is convenient to shopping, great restaurants and right at the Marta if needed. Although I could write more about the beautiful spacious corner rooms with view, huge bath, great lounge for relaxing at the end of the day or meeting place to begin your day, delicious breakfast buffet in restaurant, and 1st class pool, spa and exercise facility like others have written and agree with them 100%, but, I'd like to say that the staff at the hotel made our stay perfect. Everyone we came in contact with was friendly, professional, helpful and efficient!!! They were always there making sure you had everything you needed. Always cheerful and friendly. Check in was a breeze with friendly front desk employees. The bellman was helpful and friendly with ice and information concerning our room. The concierge Julian Wright was the best! From suggesting restaurants for meals to getting tickets for events we attended he provided great suggestions and made calls ahead when we made last minute dinner plans. Willie, the driver of the car (provided free of charge by the hotel) was helpful, friendly and quick to pick you up. We never waited more than 10 mins. when we would call after dinner. Make sure you use this service! The Guest Relations delivered to our room a complimentary bottle of wine and box of chocolates for our anniversary. An hour later we were called to see if we needed anything else. Room service was FAST. Housekeeping top notch! All in all this hotel receives 5 stars from us! We would definitely stay there again !!!!

• Liked — Friendly staff, location, relaxing lounge area, room and bath
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta? Share your experiences!