I just stayed at the Intercontinental Buckhead for four nights while attending a conference. The facility itself is lovely, with a beautiful sprawling lobby and comfortable guest rooms. The staff is indeed very polite and helpful. However, for a five-star hotel, I felt there were several key misses that really made a difference for me. As a result, I will likely explore other hotels in the area (of which there are many) should I visit again.
1) My room was airy, with good lighting and most of the amenities that would be expected. However, despite the very comfortable bed with down pillows and luxurious sheets, I found it difficult to sleep at night as I could actually hear conversations from both of the rooms adjacent to mine. The occupants were speaking in regular volumes. The walls are so thin I could even hear coughs and yawns. I wound up having to turn on radio static to use as white noise so I could fall sleep.
2) Speaking of the clock radio (with iPod dock), mine was broken. I could not adjust the volume or even change radio stations—I was lucky to find static at a reasonable volume just by turning it on. The clock was off (behind) by 3 minutes.
3) I could not find the hair dryer in the room (it was not by the sink/mirror area, but stored in a cabinet against one of the bathroom side walls). I asked for one at reception which I was promptly given; however, the prongs on the plug were warped to the point where it was impossible to plug in. Thankfully I found the other one in the cabinet.
4) Perhaps most disappointingly, the room service was some of the most awful I have ever encountered, domestically or internationally. I traveled alone and had work to do each day after the conference sessions, so I had to rely on room service for dinner. However, each time it was far from satisfactory, and at times barely edible—from an overdone burger with salty, greasy fries, to pasta primavera overdone to the point where it was mush, to a bland grilled chicken breast with what must have been five green beans.
I wound up walking to a nearby mall last night as I could not bear the thought of ordering another awful dinner. Today's breakfast was equally disappointing, with soggy french toast and lukewarm coffee. And all of this for truly outrageous prices, even for a luxury hotel. I expected much better quality food, especially as there is supposed to be a well-known chef at the restaurant.
These might seem like minor quibbles, but for the supposed stature and rating of this hotel, I expected more. Unfortunately, these shortcomings made my experience much less pleasant than I would have liked.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of Atlanta's prestigious Buckhead district, InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta offers stylish, upscale amenities in an inviting atmosphere with true Southern charm. All 422 elegant guest rooms feature 47" flat screen HDTVs, high-speed Wi-Fi, marble baths with separate shower and soaking tubs, pillow-top bedding, minibar, and complimentary use of the 24/7 Fitness Center overlooking famed Peachtree Road. Club InterContinental guest rooms also include private access to the fully staffed Club InterContinental Lounge with complimentary breakfast, snacks, and beverages. Helmed by celebrity chef Art Smith, InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta's on site restaurant, Southern Art, offers Southern-inspired cuisine and cocktails in a welcoming, relaxed atmosphere. Alongside Southern Art, Bourbon Bar is the award winning bourbon-centric bar and lounge featuring more than 70 varieties of bourbon, including exclusive private label barrels from acclaimed distillers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire and Odigeo so you can book your InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Buckhead Atlanta Hotel Atlanta
- Intercontinental Atlanta