“love this hotel but some cons” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #8 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersGold level
San Antonio, Texas
“love this hotel but some cons”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

love this hotel but first of all tv the pits remote did not work good , no movie to buy, tub did not drain had to call engineer to fix that. Maid service did not come until 230 pm. The last was when sitting in lobby I had to go up to bar 3 times to see where was my drink to be served was . Bartenders need brushing up I was paying them they where not paying me. The bar staff needs some first class training . This is not a good old pub. The ritz is down the street they have better device.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

My husband and I live in the out skirts of Atlanta and decided to have a weekend get-a-way in Buckhead. We got the InterContinental at a great price and had a fabulous stay. Everyone at the hotel was so friendly and welcoming. The rooms have recently been renovated and are beautiful. The bar in the lobby is a happening place and has live music on the weekends. The shuttle service is also great. They will take you anywhere you want for a night out. We could not have chosen a better hotel (and we've stayed at many in Buckhead).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sunny Isles Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The service from valet, check in to check out was suburb! Brielle, Nicolas and Andrew were helpful and knowledgeable. I loved the atmosphere and the view from the Platinum Club was very nice and I really enjoyed holding my meetings there the snacks and drinks were perfect. Best continental breakfast ever! I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else while in Atlanta.

Thank you and hats off to the Intercontinental Buckhead for a job well done! You really know how to give good old fashioned customer service which seems to be a dying art. I

• Stayed February 2013
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

So we arrived at the hotel at 5pm on a Saturday night. Self parking is on the side of the hotel. The top floor is all valet so you have to go down a level to park -- the spots are tight but as long as you are not driving a Hummer should be able to park ok. An elevator ride up to the lobby brought us to the front desk. Check in was fine - given a parking card to use for in-out rights for the car. $22/day.
When we got to the room they had given us a corner room as requested. The room had a large tub and a stall shower. The bed was comfortable but even at 65F the room was warm and would not really cool below that. It was 29F outside so I guess heat was the only option and maybe could have done better if we just shut the a/c system off. Didn't think to try that.
The next morning we left for the day at 7am and returned at 6pm -- our room had not been touched - the bed was unmade and the towels still on the floor -- this was super bowl sunday now and the hotel was almost empty. No excuse for not having our room cleaned. We did not have the do not disturb sign on the door.
The biggest complaint we had was the hot water. It literally took 7 minutes for hot water to reach the shower. We wasted so much water waiting for it to warm up -- felt guilty wasting that much water. The tub heated almost instantly -- but not the shower -- once it finally got warm there was plenty of hot water. This happened every time we tried to shower.
Upon inspection of the room -- our hair dryer was caked with dust and hairs -- the toilet seat was broken underneath so it moved all around.
There is a computer you can use to print a boarding pass for free in the lobby area which worked well -- other than that you have to pay to use the internet. Even at Holiday Inn express it is free.
There are a lot of Holiday Inn elements in the room that made me wonder why I was paying such a high price for cheap stuff.
At check out there was no way to check out on the TV. So we called and they checked us out on the phone. When I got home I didn't have an e-mailed receipt so I called - they told me I had to sign a release before I could get a receipt. What. They had my e-mail address from the reservation I made online. It was a complete waste of my time and a hassle I didn't care to deal with and would not expect from a concierge driven hotel.
I would probably look elsewhere to spend my $240 a night the next time I stay in Atlanta.

Room Tip: Maybe room closer to the center of the hotel would get hot water quicker than the corner rooms?
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

The stay was fine, not amazing, not bad. Guest services wasn't especially helpful-directing me to go to the gift shop for several items, rather than having someone bring it to the room and charge me.

Also room had broken bathtub handle which we reported as it was a safety hazard, and although engineer came to fix, it still wasn't by the time we checked out.

Great location- id recommend going to bistro Niko - great food! Also bourbon Bar had great drinks and ham bar was something unique.

Overall good value for a nice hotel, but don't expect st Regis type experience.

• Stayed February 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear Travelmonger31,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased that you liked our hotel location. The InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. It is our regret that we fell short of your expectations. Nevertheless, we appreciate you bringing this unsatisfactory experience to our attention. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Let me tell you about my extraordinarily insulting experience at this supposed 4 star hotel. Upon check out I brought my luggage to my valeted car. The bellhop was loading the car and I was looking in my purse for the ticket. My PAID hotel bill was in my other hand. A very short middle eastern man in a suit came up to me and started pulling insistently at the bill in my hand. As I thought he was wanting the valet ticket I told him I was looking for it. He finally snatched it out of my hand and opens it up and states, quite loudly, while pointing to the bill, "You didn't pay for this!!" I looked at him and told him I most certainly did pay for the valet, as the front desk attendant mentioned it and told me I would be charged for it. Which was perfectly acceptable. This man kept on saying that I had not paid for my valet and that the bill was for my room. (In fact, it was for my incidentals, such as valet). Because it was not itemized I could not prove it. He took the bill and snatched the valet ticket out of my hand and went to the side desk. I asked him three times to please give me my bill back so I could go get an itemized copy to prove to him I had indeed paid for valet. He refused to give it back for about 3 minutes while he rudely ignored me. He did finally give it back, and I marched back to the front desk and reported this encounter and received an itemized bill which proved I had paid. I was infuriated. As many hotels as I have stayed at in my life, from Motel 6 to the Ritz, I have never, ever been treated like such a third class citizen. The unfortunate part is that it is actually a very nice hotel and I was excited because I had planned on bringing my boyfriend there in the future. However, I will never step foot on an InterContinental property again. This is a hotel. Customer service should be job one. If the gentleman (I use that term lightly) had an issue, he should have done it in a quiet manner. He was loud and obtrusive and utterly insulting. As I was too flabbergasted at the time, I unfortunately did not get his name, although I will not forget his snide face. Take my advice and find somewhere that appreciates your business and doesn't interrogate you as to whether you paid your bill.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear DrHambone,

Thank you for your feedback. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations.

It is certainly disheartening to read of your experience and the fact we fell short in rendering great service during your stay. I will personally follow up with our valet service staff to ensure similar incidents won't happen again.

Your feedback is of great importance to us and allows us to monitor and improve our services continually.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I went for business to Atlanta and the room and bed are great. They should have more water in the mini fridge. We dinned at the on-site restaurant Southern Art and it was very good. The bourbon bar is a must! The head bartender has some great drinks on the menu and is a pro. The workout room is very nice this all the right equipment and the pool was nice as well. For the quality of the room and the service, on-site restaurant and bar, and the amenities, this is the hotel to stay at for a good price. It was at least $100 less than the other luxury hotels so I was very pleased!

Room Tip: The restaurant has a ham bar! Enough said!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta? Share your experiences!