“Fantastic Birthday Trip!!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
georgia
“Fantastic Birthday Trip!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I took my boyfriend on a trip to Atlanta for his birthday. I booked the Romance package at the hotel. It was fantastic!! The service was impeccable from the valet to check in and room service. Champagne and chocolate covered strawberries were delivered to the room upon arrival and after dinner we returned to a rose-petal turn down service. Breakfast was delivered the next morning at the time we had specified and the entire package with tax(which included everything listed above, including breakfast) was $287. What a deal!! I would highly recommend this property and this package!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

1,161 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We had to leave a not-so-great Atlanta B&B (roaches) and were at the same time coming down with the flu! We booked this place. A complete success!

We are a couple with an eleven year old son. Dad and son came down with the flu that day. Temperatures were high and patience was low.

Pro's:
1. Service: At the Intercontintal Buckhead, they mean service. When you pull up in your rental, the doorman knows the weird location of the trunk release you have yet to figure out. Then Elena at reception upgrades your sick family to a nicer room. And finally when the Head Bellman delivers your luggage, his kindness and insistence on providing help during your stay make you feel like everything is going to be alright, with or without Tylenol... In fact if you want to go shopping next door at the excellent Lenox Mall, the Bellman offers you the number of a driver to take you there or elsewhere at no charge. useful if you come back from Lenox Mall weighed down with all of your shopping. Kindness.
2. The Room: absolutely spot-on clean. And the pillows. Every type possible. Laid flat on the bed, the pillows covered the entire bed, completely - like an extra mattress - too many actually. Very clean bathroom, nice travertine and granite shower.

Cons.
1. The only thing is that other than Lenox Mall or business in the area, there is no real reason to stay here. It is a bit soul-less.
2. Wifi: not free is NOT cool. In the 21st century, pay wifi is inexcusable.

Conclusion: An excellent choice for high quality hospitality.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

The location and maintenance are top notch, room size is not generous. They nickel and dime you until you want to leave. It begins in the parking lot with a $22 a day charge. Our child needed a rollout bed, $50.00. We used our smartphones which triggered $25.00 in internet charges we never saw coming.

This kind of thing is increasing at hotels.

Vote against it with your feet.

Go somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear 780FloridaJoe,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I'm glad that you liked our hotel location. I apologize for any shortcomings you encountered during your stay with us. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to provide rates that are competitive in the area. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

IHG prides itself on the quality of their brand. This particular hotel doesn't live up to those expectations and is need of refresher training to staff and management alike. We won't be back. I encourage others to try a different hotel. This hotel should be near the bottom of your list if service and quality are important to you. The staff and management of this hotel have mastered the art of lip service but are unable to follow through.

Here's a quick list of the issues we experienced:
- The bed was the most uncomfortable we've ever slept on.
- The temperature controls in the room did not work.
- The room was considerably smaller than the advertised size.
- We pre-paid for a room and on arrival found that the room did not match the description.
- The phone and voice mail in the room did not work.
- It took the valet over 30 minutes to find our car after we found one.

All of the above happened on a busy weekend. We brought each of the issues to the front desk management several times during our stay. We were told that there were no refunds. In addition, we were unable to find an alternate hotel after we checked in. IHG customer service and the hotel management were unwilling to work with us to resolve the issues during and after our stay.

Despite repeated attempts to resolve the issue with the hotel by phone, email, postal mail, and through the credit card company - the hotel refuses to return phone calls, respond to letters, or discuss any aspect of our stay. These outcomes are not what a five star hotel provides.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear 760Mike,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Janice A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I chose this hotel for the bathtub and got quite a bit more. A picture of a (fully clothed) reviewer grinning and sitting in one of the sunken garden tubs on TripAdvisor sold me as the place to have my Birthday stay-cation. I love a good soak and none of the travelers pictures of other bathrooms appealed to me like the one here. Yes, the self parking option (SUPER convenient), the spa (which i did not use on this trip), marble bathroom flooring, floor-to-ceiling windows, live night band and proximity to Dante's Down The Hatch (pirate boat jazz!) were big draws too. But I literally squealed when I saw the tub after my check-in. I actually spent quite a bit of time in by bed and robe duirng my stay. On the few occasions I actually left teh room, I spent time at the Bourbon Bar(try the GA Smashed Apple) and had some amazing shrimp-in-grits (and okra and ham and field peas) at Southern Art. Jesus and the staff at Southern Art deserve acknowledgment for their apropo hospitality. In room breakfast of a HUGE egg white omelet and potatoes just ran $40 amd was hot, filling and tasty. The mini-bar was the only snag, which, as evidenced by the mostly empty slots and the November 30th expiration date on the Chobani cups inside, had not been replenished in quite some time. But I'm not a mini-bar fanatic anyway. Still I did like that when I mentioned the matter to the front desk, I got four bottles of Fiji Water and sodas within minutes with no extra charge (I still tipped the guy). The customer service overall was responsive, approachable and friendly when necessary: I do not like the constantly fussy, near-suffocating "can-I-wipe-your-butt-for-you" service that you find at some places and I really like that you don't get that here: they treat you like an adult. Nick and Elena were a pleasure to work with! The fact that am typing this from the room and this morning I added an additional night to my stay should say it all, but I'm long-winded. Not sure when I'll be back but a return trip will happen! I'll have to follow some other TA reviews and snag a club room with an Atlanta view next time.

Room Tip: A Corner room facing the pool on any level (numbered "01") will assure a quiet stay with p...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Pittsburgh, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

The hotel is in a great location and looks great on the outside and in the lobby but then it ends...or at least for me it did. I am all for recycling and green practices but a sign placed on my bed every day reminding me to reuse my towels was funny the first two days of a nine night stay but not much after that. I also had a nice soap dish the first two nights that got replaced with a tissue. I had to ask for towels...and the best was trying to get a roll of toilet paper delivered to my room at 11 pm...it didn't happen. If it wasn't for the comfy bed this would have been one of the worst stays ever for me for a business trip.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
BirchallP, General Manager at InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
I was extremely disappointed to learn of your negative experience. Every aspect of your stay should be top-notch, and it is unacceptable that you did not receive everything you asked for. While we never like to hear that our guests’ stay was anything less than extraordinary, we realize that feedback is a gift and our best asset to improve. We will certainly become a better hotel because of you took the time to share your experience. I sincerely hope you give us the opportunity to turn your opinion around; I am confident we could become one of your new favorite hotels!
-Patrick
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

I took my husband to Atlanta for his birthday and we were very impressed. The bed is sooo comfortable and the staff deserves five stars for being so courteous. This hotel reminded me of an upscale hotel in Vegas..We will definitely be back!

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for choosing us for your special occasion; we love helping to make memories for our guests! We could not do that without the dedication and professionalism of our wonderful staff. We cannot wait to welcome you back for years to come.
-Patrick

Been to InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta? Share your experiences!