“Beautiful summer setting and great food” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Canoe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 3,445 Restaurants in Atlanta
Cuisines: American
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Chattahoochee River / Woodland Brook
Description: Canoe is located in Atlanta's historic Vinings area on the Chattahoochee River where Buckhead meets Vinings. Canoe's beautiful historic riverside setting makes it the perfect spot for weddings, receptions and private celebrations. Its original cuisine and distinctive design have already been featured in Bon Appetit, Food And Wine, Gourmet, The Wine Spectator and The New York Times. Canoe, recipient of the prestigious Mobil 4 Star Award, was also selected as one of the "Best New Restaurants" in the country by the James Beard Foundation.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Beautiful summer setting and great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I found Canoe through Trip Advisor, since it was listed as the #1 restaurant in Atlanta. My mother and I decided to go because of the rating. We were at a convention hotel downtown Atlanta on a Friday with no reservations. Our concierge was of no use to us, so I called and was able to get an early reservation through their friendly and accommodating receptionist at 6:15. I highly recommend (if the weather is fitting), to reserve a table out on the patio. Even though it may be humid, you are in the shade and there are ceiling fans that keep the breeze going, and it was quite comfortable. The best part of the patio seating was the view. They have beautifully landscaped gardens along the river. You can stroll along the path down to the bar and look at the flowers in a lush and quiet setting. While we were eating there was a summer rain and we saw a rainbow. The service is fantastic, the food very good. I had the delicious crab cake appetizer, my mother had the salmon app. both were very good. I had the trout with Canadian Bacon, which was great, but the fish a little over-done. My Mother had the Arctic Char which she absolutely loved. We did not have room for dessert! The food was great and plentiful, I thought the price for entrees were reasonable. It cost about 20+ dollars to take a cab from downtown, and the ride was surprisingly swift even in rush-hour traffic. You get to see a lot of estates as you travel through the neighborhood to get to the restaurant. Definitely worth it for the food and patio dining!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Best in Atlanta”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

This was my third trip to Atl this year and by far the best meal we have had. The menu is mainly seafood and game. My wife had the scallops my sister in law had the steak and i had one of the signature dishes which was the Rabbit. All 3 meals were excellent as were the appetizers, be sure to try the Mussels. The venue is great and has a nice setting along the river. It is advertised as being romantic but is a little to lively for that but don't let that stop you from going there. Be sure to make reservation well in advance and sit outside weather permitting. Check out the size of the burger.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Marietta
“Always good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Excellent food and service. I love the smoked salmon served here. All their desserts are fantastic. The setting is lovely too.

Visited May 2013
Bellevue, Washington
“Canoe does not disappoint”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I ordered the rabbit and it was amazing, as was the beet salad with goat cheese. Superb service and a beautiful drive from Peachtree road, past the governors mansion and many other beautiful homes.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Albany, NY
“Room for Improvement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We saw this as the #1 rated restaurant on TA, and decided to try it. We are visitors to Atlanta, stayed at a friend’s house the entire visit, and wanted to take them to a nice place. Thus why not the #1 rated spot in Atlanta?

If you try the address by Android GPS, I suggest you instead use Google Maps or some other software. Our hosts got lost with their Android GPS [my iPhone GPS found it fine]. Thankfully we called Canoe and they held our reservations.
Upon arrival, we were greeted by friendly and well groomed men who valet parked our car. The hostess was cordial and a little quick. Our waitress was outstanding the entire night. I realize its part of the show, but she did what she could to be excited about the menu and the restaurant. I’ll bet she’s their best waitress. The rest of the staff [different people bring your food and clear plates] were all really nice.

The food was rather good. Even excellent. The bread options served are superb, especially the flatbread. Appetizers: the Vidalia soup, house smoked salmon [which we shared], arugula salad [which could feed 2] were really good. Our party of four had the duck, quail, and one other dish. All really outstanding as expected from a #1 restaurant. The desserts were even better! The daily ‘cookies and cream’ creation was superb.
Price wise, it’s really reasonable given the food, service, and ambiance.

So, why just a ‘4’ instead of a ‘5’? To me, 5 out of 5 would be a near perfect dinner for the price point. There were several items that were slightly amiss. These are:

1] We had hoped for ‘Southern’ dishes. But the dinner menu didn’t really list that many ‘southern’ choices. The waitress highlighted that much of their ingredients and sources are ‘local’, but if you look at the menu, its fish from Alaska, lamb from Australia, etc. There’s more ‘southern’ dishes on their Brunch menu, it would seem.
2] My mixed drink was mediocre, even terrible. Maybe I could have ordered wine or beer instead, but a place rated #1 can be expected to deliver excellent mixed drinks, and my mixed drink isn’t that uncommon. Great restaurants are expected to have great mixologists.
3] We weren’t offered options of where to sit. There were empty tables outside, and also on the lower level that has a nice view. We were automatically seated in the upper tier near the kitchen.
4] One of the cooks was really surly. Not at us, but his facial expression and words were surly. In an open kitchen in full view of the patrons, you just can’t act like that.
5] We were slightly rushed to clear our plates at the end. I hadn’t wolfed down my dessert [yet], and the waitress tried to clear it. In fact, she cleared my drink while there was about 20% left in it, and she never even asked me about it. I momentarily considered a small complaint, but thought better of it.
6] Our coffee’s were filled to the brim. I mean, almost overflowed.
7] The outdoor walk area could be better maintained. Bulbs also needed to be replaced on the ‘Canoe’ marquis.

Perhaps I’m a little picky, and wouldn’t point out the items above for a ‘regular’ restaurant. However, for the price point and for a place rated as #1 in a real city such as Atlanta, the small things do matter.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere