“Very Good Dining Experience in Virginia Highlands” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
La Tavola is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 3,306 Restaurants in Atlanta
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Brunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: N. Highland Avenue
Description: La Tavola is a classic, cozy Italian trattoria located in Atlanta's famous Virginia Highland neighborhood featuring exposed brick, dark wood floors, rustic colors and an open exhibition kitchen. The restaurant features an extensive wine list, classic dishes made from the finest traditional ingredients and approachable, friendly service. Perfect for family gatherings, romantic dinners or just a quick, yet satisfying, bite at the bar, here you will always feel welcomed and at home around our table.
Atlanta, GA, USA
“Very Good Dining Experience in Virginia Highlands”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

It's nice when you find a good restaurant that has been around for a while, and that is the case with La Tavola in Virginia Highland, which is a section of Atlanta for those not familiar with the area. So if you're traveling into ATL and are looking for a place with great food, some character and situated in a small by lively section of the city, definitely give La Tavola a shot.

I'll cut to the chase -- the ambiance was very nice, yet a little tight at first which did not turn out to be an issue as the servers kept your table clear when we no longer needed something. It seats probably 40-50 inside with another similar amount out on their patio in the back, which I will experience in the near future. The server, Sarah, was terrific -- she was just one of those very pleasant, very authentic young people that adds to the evening experience, so she was a bonus. The apps and dinner were all very good to excellent. My wife particularly raved about her risotto with shredded beef, so I had a taste and it was delicious. My friends were not wild about the style of calamari, which was grilled and served with cauliflower pieces. It was not fried or breaded, so the texture of the calamari is what it really is -- not everyone likes that!

We shared a nice bottle of wine and had an overall really nice evening at La Tavola. The pricing is favorable, too. With wine and tip, we were in for about $100 per couple. I didn't pick the wine, so I don't recall what it cost, but I'm betting it drive up the price quite a bit. The main courses ranged from $16 - $23, so you can figure it out from there. I thought it was an appropriate deal.

I have not read any other reviews yet as I wanted to go in with my own experience, and I look forward to reading a few just to see what others say. I've added La Tavola to my recommended and revisit list -- I hope you experience the same.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“An Atlanta favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

We love the Virginia Highlands area and La Tavola. The food is amazing, an interesting wine list and the service is always exceptional ... we return whenever in Atlanta. Our favorite dishes this time: the grilled calamari starter, the apricot walnut tart and the flour less chocolate cake.

Visited April 2013
Indiana
“Fabulous Dining Experience!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My husband wanted to surprise me and take me somewhere new for our date night and he nailed it. I couldn't have been more pleased with his choice. Virginia Heights was a very fun little area to stroll around and wonder through some very cute stores. There were many bars in the area as well if your looking for that scene after dinner. The restaurant is pretty small but we enjoyed the atmosphere. We had reservations and were seated promptly. The service throughout our meal was great. The food was incredible from start to finish. We started with the duck sausage which was delicious and then our main entrees were both great. We both agreed that the flat iron steak with fingerling potatoes was just fantastic. I ordered it medium rare and it was perfect. We ended our meal with probably the best cheesecake we have ever had and the flourless chocolate cake which was also awesome. We left stuffed but enjoyed every bite! We would definently recommend this place for anyone looking to enjoy a wonderful meal with great service and outstanding food in a fun area of Atlanta.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Estero, Florida
“Wonderful food and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This was our first time exploring Virginia-Highland and decide to give La Tavola a try on a whim. We were so surprised! Our dinner service exceeded my expectations. Our server (I believe her name was Debbie) was super informative and accommodating through out our meal. The staff were all on point and were all very friendly. Good wine and food selection. Definitely try the veal meatballs - they were just so tasty and melt in your mouth good. The duck mortadella appetizer was also delicious - very rich. All in all, a great experience and would definitely recommend this restaurant to friends.

• Visited March 2013
Wilmington, North Carolina
“My Favorite in Atlanta”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

This was my favorite place during my visit to Atlanta. While it's reasonably priced, they put a lot into the small menu. I ordered the TAGLIATELLE BOLOGNESE, which is highly recommended to you meat lovers out there. I went with a group of ten, and everyone seemed to like their meals. The staff was also very friendly and did a great job all around with our big group in a small restaurant. I can't wait to go back.

• Visited March 2012